PORT AND POLISH??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
PORT AND POLISH???

Say if I were to port and polish my upper and lower intake on my 2001 v6 and the only engine mod` I had was a CAI how much of a gain of HP and other improvements am I looking at???

Thanks.
mrjones3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: PORT AND POLISH???

i thought about doing this myself! one of the members here told me like 20 hp with both done i think but u you get your most of it form your lower intake being done! im sure the legacys will clue you in on alot more and maybe even show you how to do it! goodlcuk bro!
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

There's actually a link that gives you everything you need I think if you're still interested.

Port & Polish Intake Manifolds

Even gives you websites to buy the gaskets and tools needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Anybody?
Old 05-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

From what I've heard from others that have done it themselves, I'd guess around 8-15 rwhp and 8-12 rwtrq. Unfortunately I wrecked my 6 before I could install the upper/lowers I ported. It's an excellent way to get some cheap power.

Be sure to clean the crap out of the intakes/runners so you're not grinding debris and grime into it. Carbide tips work well but can cut pretty fast. Make sure everything is measured and cut the same to keep the flow efficient as possible. Practice first if you haven't done anything like this before so you know how quickly your tools cut.

After you have the intakes done, a good exhaust system and dyno tune will really clean everything up.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I'm a little confused. I've ported and polished heads(gasket matched). open up the intake ports to match the gasket and make them a little rough for better air/fuel mixture and open up the exhaust and make them smooth for better evacuation flow. Haven't heard much here about doing heads only the intakes. This was all on carb cars learning from classic guys. Is this just a difference between carb and EFI cars? Was there a reason intakes weren't popular to do then, or a reason heads aren't popular to do now?
Don't mean to hijack thread, just curious.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_luv_HP&trq View Post
From what I've heard from others that have done it themselves, I'd guess around 8-15 rwhp and 8-12 rwtrq. Unfortunately I wrecked my 6 before I could install the upper/lowers I ported. It's an excellent way to get some cheap power.

Be sure to clean the crap out of the intakes/runners so you're not grinding debris and grime into it. Carbide tips work well but can cut pretty fast. Make sure everything is measured and cut the same to keep the flow efficient as possible. Practice first if you haven't done anything like this before so you know how quickly your tools cut.

After you have the intakes done, a good exhaust system and dyno tune will really clean everything up.

^^^ You wouldn't happen to have the ported intakes still would you? If so, would you sell?

I'll be sure to thank you, regardless haha.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I did a ton of research into this on my 01 3.8L v6. I actually had a set of ported upper and lower intakes ready to go on (but never put them on... long story in waiting a year to get them....)

anyway with just regular bolt ons an upper and lower intake with a tune should give you between 10-15rwhp and 7-15rwtq~ and will cost around 500 bucks or more not counting core charges
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjones3133 View Post
^^^ You wouldn't happen to have the ported intakes still would you? If so, would you sell?

I'll be sure to thank you, regardless haha.
grrr I knew this would come back to bite me. My intakes got lost in the move and I still haven't uncovered them. I'm still mad about it. I was going to powder coat them too and use them as an example of what could be done with the right powder.

I totally would have sold them too. I'll look again but doubt I'll find them. hmmm I may have pictures somewhere. Either way you have people here to help if you end up doing it yourself.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
Old 05-11-2009, 12:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80 View Post
I'm a little confused. I've ported and polished heads(gasket matched). open up the intake ports to match the gasket and make them a little rough for better air/fuel mixture and open up the exhaust and make them smooth for better evacuation flow. Haven't heard much here about doing heads only the intakes. This was all on carb cars learning from classic guys. Is this just a difference between carb and EFI cars? Was there a reason intakes weren't popular to do then, or a reason heads aren't popular to do now?
Don't mean to hijack thread, just curious.
Although more power can be found in porting the heads, the intakes are just a great (somewhat easier) way for the DIY enthusiast to gain some cheap power. Heads are more complex to port CORRECTLY and expensive to take off for those that don't have the experience or money to pay someone. At least that's what I think.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:00 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

If you need any help on the heads/intakes just pm me
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
I did a ton of research into this on my 01 3.8L v6. I actually had a set of ported upper and lower intakes ready to go on (but never put them on... long story in waiting a year to get them....)

anyway with just regular bolt ons an upper and lower intake with a tune should give you between 10-15rwhp and 7-15rwtq~ and will cost around 500 bucks or more not counting core charges
^^ You wouldn't happen to have yours would you? If all else fails with finding a set cheap enough I'm going to do it myself with the oversight of a few other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_luv_HP&trq View Post
grrr I knew this would come back to bite me. My intakes got lost in the move and I still haven't uncovered them. I'm still mad about it. I was going to powder coat them too and use them as an example of what could be done with the right powder.

I totally would have sold them too. I'll look again but doubt I'll find them. hmmm I may have pictures somewhere. Either way you have people here to help if you end up doing it yourself.
^^That sucks bro! Well if you end up finding them let me know, I'm hesitant about doing it myself but if all else fails I don't wanna end up paying someone else to screw up.

Thanks to all.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I sold them, I personally wouldnt do it myself, let someone else handle it~ your just asking for issues but thats just my opinion
Old 05-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Quote:
I sold them, I personally wouldnt do it myself, let someone else handle it~ your just asking for issues but thats just my opinion
+10

I screwed up many sets of junk yard heads before I finally got good at porting....
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

where can u go to get a p&p?
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

many places for the GT the v6 is much more limited. for a GT there are TONS of engine places
Old 05-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
where can u go to get a p&p?

Supersixmotorsports can help you out with the ported intakes for a 3.8
Old 05-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

mines 4.6
Old 05-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

arent 4.6l's lowers not portable, i never hear of many that are ported, i know you can buy an upper/lower from like bbk and such
Old 05-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

i don't know
Old 05-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
arent 4.6l's lowers not portable, i never hear of many that are ported, i know you can buy an upper/lower from like bbk and such
If thats the same for the 99/01 cobras then maybe that's why the guy on svtperformance cuts the lower intake, ports it, then welds it back together.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang