Tune Up in order? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2003, 07:01 AM   #1
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
Tune Up in order?

So I have 55k miles

When I go to start it up, it's like it doesn't really want to. It starts, but it shakes really bad for about a second then all is fine.

I am guessing I have the Original spark plugs/wires/pcv/fuel filter and everything.

Should I just take it to a pep-boys where they blindly swap all this crap out (yes, I am joking)

Is buying and replacing sparkplugs pretty straight forward, or do I have to regap them, to what gap? What brand?

What about wires?

Anything else I should just swap out?
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2003, 10:20 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Yeah it's probably time for a tune up. Plugs usually last 30-50k miles.

And you've never changed your fuel filter?!?! I do that about once every 20k.

Replacement plugs are pretty straight forward. They'll give you a list of names and prices. IF you want direct replacement plugs for your original plugs, get Motorcraft. Autolite's are pretty cheap in price, but I've had good luck with them in the past. As for the gap, they do come pre-gapped, but it's a good idea to check them just before you install them to make sure they're the correct distance. The only thing is, I cant remember off the top of my head what that gap is.

I would change the spark plug wires as well, but in your case you dont HAVE to. Bosch makes a pretty damn good wire IMO, but they cost a little more than others. Bosch made a big improvement on my 66, and when the time comes, I'll be putting them in my 98.

Change out your PCV Valve. It's probably functioning fine, but better safe than sorry... it's only a couple bucks anyway.

Get some additives for fluids such as Fuel Injection Cleaners, an Oil Stabalizer and if you have an Automatic, get an Automatic Trans stabalizer. To get all of this in one box, Z-Max would be my suggestion. It made a very noticable difference in my car. I know it's been shown on TV, but I used to fly a lot, and I know what the synthetic molocules used in Z-max is the same stuff that I used to put in my (my grandfathers) plane.

Check the brake fluid, check your brake pads, rotors and brake lines for any damage. Make sure your Emergency brake has any slack taken out.

Wait a minute... what year is your car? Can you get warentee work on it done?

Pick up a Chiltons Manual for your car if you havent already. It will tell you how to do lots of fun stuff with your car .
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:32 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Try this test turn your key not to start the car but that everything is energized wait a few seconds for the fuel pump to bring up pressure since it is in the tank and then start the car. If it starts fine without running rough you are ok. if it still runs rough I would change fuel filter, spark plugs and clean your air filter and with no residue electrical contact cleaner , clean your MAF.

Corey

Old 05-07-2003, 12:59 PM   #4
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik
And you've never changed your fuel filter?!?! I do that about once every 20k.

Wait a minute... what year is your car? Can you get warentee work on it done?
I've put almost 20k on it, so it probably is time to swap the fuel filter. I don't yet have a chiltons manual, and my 99 is waaayyy out of warranty, with the Headers,Spacers,CAI,UDP,and 55,000 miles 8)
Old 05-07-2003, 12:59 PM   #5
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Try this test turn your key not to start the car but that everything is energized wait a few seconds for the fuel pump to bring up pressure since it is in the tank and then start the car. If it starts fine without running rough you are ok. if it still runs rough I would change fuel filter, spark plugs and clean your air filter and with no residue electrical contact cleaner , clean your MAF.

Corey
Great, I'll give that a shot
Old 05-08-2003, 01:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
its probably a good idea to go ahead and just go all out, not really that expensive. change teh coolant flush it also. put new plugs in and new wires if you have high miles, even check on a new coil pack. also check the TPS sensor those seem to go out, clean your MAF wires really good with electronic cleaner a must for smooth driving with aftermarket air filter especially. also change oil and filter, flush tranny fluid (even if manual its cheap why not). just the little things like that. I would recommend removing that PCV valve and runing breather filters on each side, keep oil out of your upper intake.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang