I'm new and there are probably dozens of these threads... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-15-2009, 02:39 AM   #1

Region: Missouri
I'm new and there are probably dozens of these threads...

Ok, so my friend recently got me into the idea of modding... I own a '98 V6 Mustang. I'm not sure where to begin, though I hear true dual exhaust is a good start. My problem comes with the technical side of true dual, mainly in the cost. I'm not a rich man, so I am just kinda lost right now. Custom Complete automotive said they could order parts and install true dual exhaust for $550, but I'm not sure what manufacturer...

Anywho, any tips/advice would be great.

-Nate
Redelf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: I'm new and there are probably dozens of these threads...

there are a few choices you can go with here

you can order a cat back that just bolts up to the car and have fake dual exhaust, by this I mean if you look under your car you will see two headers and the pipes coming off of them and they go into one pipe this section is called the Y pipe as it makes a Y shape. It just bolts up right past that and you can put it on yourself in your driveway. This option may cost you a little horse power vs a true dual setup but its VERY little and you wont notice anyway. There are tons of kits out there but I highly recommend some stainless steel application to keep rust away and do NOT go with chrome tips as they rust through very quickly.

The second choice is to buy a GT take off exhaust from a 99-04 GT usually they are 100 bucks or so. You will need to buy a dual exhaust adapter and have it welded is so the catback from the GT will bolt right up or have some sort of fabrication done to allow the GT catback to work. I would expect fabrication to be 100-200 bucks just depending, they also make adapters from pacesetter and you just cutt off the pipe and weld the adapter on then bolt up the GT catback. You will then be able to swap out the GT stock mufflers for others IF you want, the v6 sounds best with a low mellow tone as it sound ricey in the higher rpms. You also can skip the GT catback and go with ANY gt catback from the aftermarket, its just more expensive than a GT catback take off (factory catback)

The final choice is to have a total custom exhaust fabricated, I had this done for my 01 v6 with stainless steel and flowmaster mufflers. It cost me 300 dollars for everything but this was 8 years ago~ so it will be around 500. Only issue with this and with any of the choices is if you do not have a way to unbolt the catback you have major issues with access and if you ever need to get the transmission out you will have to cut the pipes to remove them, just fyi

all in all go with stainless so it wont rust and dont use chrome tips, go 2.25 inch pipe for the catback NO more.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #3

Another thread that I read last night suggested the best rwhp for your money was going with new gears and a tuner, rather than the fun but not-so-effective exhaust. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Thoughts are, your statement is correct. The exhaust is only going to give you a different exhaust note and styling enhancements. If you are looking to pick up power or the illusion of power, then gears and tuner are the way to go. Gears won't add power, but they will give you a big seat of the pants power increase.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #5

I'm liking the idea of getting gears. American Muscle has some decent deals on 4.10 racing gears for the V6. I also am ignorant as to how an SCT Tuner works. I'm also ignorant on how rwhp compares to hp.

-How much rwhp gains will I see with gears, SCT Tuner, and underdrive pulleys...
Old 05-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Gears you will see no real HP gains, however your acceleration will greatly improve because they get you into your power band quicker.

With a standard tune, you can probably expect to see about 20-25 rwhp increase with a tune geared to 93 octane gas. A little less for lower octane. A dyno tune you could see increases of probably 30-40ish or so I would guess depending on how good the tune is.

With UD pulleys, CAI, and gears, you should be able to get the V6 to the 180-190 rwhp range I believe. If I remember right, that's what a buddy of mine was at with his V6, granted it was an 04 and an auto.

Also, if you have an auto, a tuner is also going to improve the shifting of your car a good bit. It changes the shift points and pressures so the car is much more crisp shifting. If you have a manual, shifting is all on you obviously.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #7

Right on. I have a manual...

I'm still trying to find out rwhp vs just plain hp. So, my vehicle is stock, so it has 150hp. How much rwhp does it have? or how do i find out?

I've also looked at tuners. I'm COMPLETELY tuner illiterate. Ok, you say dyno tuned, the ones i looked at say they are "preloaded with dyno proven tune files." Also, i have no idea which tuner to buy, either the more expensive SCT LiveWire Mustang Preloaded Tuner, or the SCT SF3 / XCal3 Power Flash Mustang Preloaded Tuner, and do i get custom or preloaded? *sigh* I'm in over my head.

I also just read this article and it was fantastic. V6 Mustang Modification Guide
Old 05-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Hmm....ok, so the 96's were 150 hp stock? ok, so, a tune and the pulleys are going to get you to about 150-160.

As for rwhp vs hp...here is how it works.

Your engine makes 150 hp at the crank. It then has to turn the flywheel, transmission, drive shaft, rear gears, and then the tires. This uses up some of the power that the engine makes. This is called parasitic loss. basically, a manual car will loose 15-17% of the crank horse power trying to turn everything. An auto will loose around 17-20% depending on the stall converter.

So, with that info, your car makes 150 hp, but at the wheels it should be putting down about 128 hp (150 * .85).

That is the difference between numbers.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

HowStuffWorks "How Horsepower Works"
HowStuffWorks "How do you convert engine torque to horsepower?"
HowStuffWorks "What's the best way to increase horsepower?"

do yourself a favor and read up on everything. don't take anybody's word for it. understand how stuff works so you don't have buyers remorse

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Don't get a tuner with pre-loaded tunes. Custom order one where you can add your current mods to maximize their effectiveness, and get the options you want.

I've heard VMP tuning does an excellent job with tuning v6's. I'm thinking about getting one this summer from them.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang