4:10 gear help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
4:10 gear help

Hey guys, so i got my car back, but my "awsome" mechanic forgot that he needs to retune the car for the new gear ratio. so i feel like it shift from 1 2 3 all by 30 miles per hour. im sure this is not correct.

on thurs i will go back and he will correct this problem. My question is can somone discribe to me
1)hows its supposed to shift,
2) approximatly what MPH into what gear
3) why my car feels so much better once i hit 60?
4) is my speedometer off because it says im going 80 and i feel like 65.

thank you again for all your help guys. i dont know what id do with out the crew of mustang evolution!
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058
Re: 4:10 gear help

4) if they didn't change the speedsensor pinion gear thingy to try to readjust your speedo closer to what its actually doing than it will be way off, specially with 4.10's

don't know any of the otherones... sry

on a side note, you will be in higher rpms at every speed. for example doing 65 i'm right about 1500 rpm in 5th, if i switched to 4.10's it going to be around 2300. i'm sure you already knew this since you did go with the gears, i'm mostly saying it because it might have something to do with that "feeling" of going one speed and feeling another (if your speedo is correct)

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the info. every bit helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Yes, your speedo is off. They need to update the tune to let it know you have 4.10's now. It's all electronic these days. You used to swap out a speedo gear based on what rear gears you have.

As for the rest, your current tune is setup up to shift at certain RPM's in each gear. Because your 4.10's are putting you in higher RPMs at every speed, the computer is shifting much earlier than it needs to or that it thinks it should. After 60, the car probably feels better because your tune wants it to be in the higher gear and the car is actually wanting to be there as well. So around 60, you tune and your car are both happy. The other gears, you're way down in your power band so it is not as happy.

I wouldn't be romping on the car too much until you get the tune updated. It probably won't hurt anything to, but, I would just rather run the car where it shifts where it wants to and not bouncing all over trying to up and down shift in weird spots.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Yes, your speedo is off. They need to update the tune to let it know you have 4.10's now. It's all electronic these days. You used to swap out a speedo gear based on what rear gears you have.

As for the rest, your current tune is setup up to shift at certain RPM's in each gear. Because your 4.10's are putting you in higher RPMs at every speed, the computer is shifting much earlier than it needs to or that it thinks it should. After 60, the car probably feels better because your tune wants it to be in the higher gear and the car is actually wanting to be there as well. So around 60, you tune and your car are both happy. The other gears, you're way down in your power band so it is not as happy.

I wouldn't be romping on the car too much until you get the tune updated. It probably won't hurt anything to, but, I would just rather run the car where it shifts where it wants to and not bouncing all over trying to up and down shift in weird spots.
Always got the anwser for me! you rock! thanks. im going tommrow to get the new tune put in, ill let you know how it drives after
Old 05-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
good to know, not to familiar with the new stuff, i just knew the gear thing for the older ones.

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyspirit058 View Post
good to know, not to familiar with the new stuff, i just knew the gear thing for the older ones.
They always need to make things more technical under the guise of "making things easier".
Old 05-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

venom i have a question. my car is shifting fine now, the car feels like a freaken beast, actually got a little scared on the highway when i punched it cause i could feel the loss in traction lol
but i sware that the speedo is still wrong. i feel like it shows 10 mph more then it actually is. any suggestions.
the retuning was done telling the car that it has 4:10 gears.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyspirit058 View Post
4) if they didn't change the speedsensor pinion gear thingy to try to readjust your speedo closer to what its actually doing than it will be way off, specially with 4.10's

don't know any of the otherones... sry

on a side note, you will be in higher rpms at every speed. for example doing 65 i'm right about 1500 rpm in 5th, if i switched to 4.10's it going to be around 2300. i'm sure you already knew this since you did go with the gears, i'm mostly saying it because it might have something to do with that "feeling" of going one speed and feeling another (if your speedo is correct)
Don't switch gears these days it all electro For so reason tuner seem to have problems with the 4:10 and 3:73

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang