Mustang Evolution Forum banner

CAI Problems?!?

Tags
cai
3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  FloMasta24 
#1 · (Edited)
Have any of you guys that have an CAI(fenderwell) have had any problems with engine performance since you got them? Maybe due to water getting into it? I don't know whether that is the problem with my car or not but when I am at a low RPM and accelerating(hard or easy) sometimes there will be like a surge through my car kind of like a hesitation but right in the middle of me giving gas.Anybody know what it could be?

#5 ·
It's sounds like your MAF for sure. Clean that thing. Also I see you're looking for a shifter. I have them at my site, I'll include a free gasket if you buy from me! :D

#6 ·
aight thanx I guess Ill try cleaning the maf. I would of bought a shifter from you but I got a real good deal from a buddy of mine one with the gaskets also.

#8 ·
what exactly do I clean?just the inside of it or the little wire thing or what??

#9 ·
You need to make sure you DON'T touch those wires. Just spray some cleaner and let it sit. Also, turning the MAF is not possible. It can only go on one way, turning it is not an option.

#10 ·
Alright so I went to Advance and got the cleaner and cleaned it. It seems to be doing better altho it still does the same thing a lil just not nearly as much.

#11 ·
also when i was pulling intake off my arm slipped and i broke the thing that plugs into the intake pipe. I don't know what it is called but the yellow arrow points at it in this pic(not my car)what is it and how much would it cost for a new one?or do i not need it?it is the 1 that goes across the engine

Attachments

#12 ·
that's runs into your driver's side valve cover, it's part of your PCV system, you might wanna fix that. because if you have a hole, then you have a vaccum leak, and you're losing power. Also, you're building pressure on only one side of your engine. Not good. Should only be a few bucks to fix.

#13 ·
97Stallion said:
You need to make sure you DON'T touch those wires. Just spray some cleaner and let it sit. Also, turning the MAF is not possible. It can only go on one way, turning it is not an option.
I meant turn the housing, rotate the entire MAF housing - it should be seperate from the CAI arms - my 89 had a fenderwell CAI (with the bend before the MAF) and it was starting to have idle, starting, and high RPM issues (lean misfires) I rotated the MAF housing a few degrees toward the engine and it cleared the problem up..

When I put my '02s CAI on I rotated it from the start, and haven't had any problems... I've read that something about the bend before the MAF would cause more air to go around rather than over the MAF.. but turning the housing allows the air to hit the MAF more directly.. - especially with the MAF screen removed which is used to straighten/smooth the airflow in the stock system..

I'm just stating this from experience/what I've read, I can't back this up with any more proof than what I've already said..

#14 ·
Anybody know what the part is called so I can get a new one?

#15 ·
did you break the tube where it hooks into the intake arm? or did you break the part off the intake arm? or did you break the part off the valve cover?

should be just the PCV breather tube.. if I'm thinking of the right part

#16 ·
Yes, according to your picture, as long as the arrow is correct, that is called the pcv vaccuum hose or something similar. Very simple, easy, and cheap part to replace. Just go to your local autoparts store and tell them that is what you need and should be less that $5. I replaced one on my other car, lumina, and it was $4, but was rather short from what I remember, that car is long gone now!

#17 ·
Yeh I broke the tube where it goes into the intake. Ill check at my local Advance and see what I can get.

#18 ·
FloMasta24 said:
also when i was pulling intake off my arm slipped and i broke the thing that plugs into the intake pipe. I don't know what it is called but the yellow arrow points at it in this pic(not my car)what is it and how much would it cost for a new one?or do i not need it?it is the 1 that goes across the engine
18.95 at your local Ford Dealership. I bought one so I could swap out CAI's easier with my Stock induction.

That is your PCV Tubing System. Your PCV is actualyl under your throttle body on your valve cover, that tubing is just another vent for the same system.

#19 ·
oh I see thanx I will probably buy one altho I was able to get a replacement elbow but I don't know how well it will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.