Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Engine Swap?

4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Bane- 
#1 ·
Hi can someone tell me if its possible to do an engine swap for the 04 V6 mustang 3.9 liter with an older (around 2000) cobra engine? If so how would i proceed with this?

Thanks

#3 ·
It will bolt right in, referring to the first question. But..you will need to upgrade your suspension if you put this much power in. Your stock suspension and frame system is not built for that much power. If you're seriously thinking about this, I'd start by working on your suspension and frame first.

#5 ·
Also, if you decide to go with an engine swap, you'll need :
Engine
Computer
All wiring harnesses
New tranny most likely
Driveshaft
Rear end

And that's the short list...

#8 ·
232stang said:
u want a 200 cobra engine? thats a cobra R good luck finding one of those angines for cheap.
Just get a 5.4 out of a Lincoln Navigator, DOHC 5.4 V8, perfect engine right there, same thing that's in the Cobra R

#9 ·
a 2000 cobra engine and a 2000 cobra r engine are different.

the 00 cobra used the 4.6/281
the 00 cobra r used the 5.8/351

the 00 cobra engine will fit right in but will take atleast all the stuff as lowflyn said

#16 ·
As already noted theres no 00 cobra engine. Second are you planning on doing this swap yourself or paying someone?

I dunno I just have the feeling that most people who suggest doing a swap thinks its just that and dont realize all the small minor key things that end up being expensive to make the swap work.

Its just so much easier to just buy a cobra or a gt and if you say cause of insurance reasons then what you plan on telling them if something were to happen to the car, you'd be 100% f*cked if insurance found out and you'd get no help and more then likely dropped.

#17 ·
bluemustang said:
As already noted theres no 00 cobra engine. Second are you planning on doing this swap yourself or paying someone?

I dunno I just have the feeling that most people who suggest doing a swap thinks its just that and dont realize all the small minor key things that end up being expensive to make the swap work.

Its just so much easier to just buy a cobra or a gt and if you say cause of insurance reasons then what you plan on telling them if something were to happen to the car, you'd be 100% f*cked if insurance found out and you'd get no help and more then likely dropped.
unless you report to them all you've done to the vehicle with receipts up front, as soon as you're done.. there are companies who will reimburse you some %age of that as long as they agree from the start

#18 ·
MonteCitan said:
unless you report to them all you've done to the vehicle with receipts up front, as soon as you're done.. there are companies who will reimburse you some %age of that as long as they agree from the start
yep and you know how much insurance is gonna rape you on rates once you do that. I did that with my old system and I still ended up getting screwed in the deal.

I hate insurance companies when it comes to "aftermarket"

#19 ·
bluemustang said:
yep and you know how much insurance is gonna rape you on rates once you do that. I did that with my old system and I still ended up getting screwed in the deal.

I hate insurance companies when it comes to "aftermarket"
as much as I hate to say it check geico
rates only went up ~$200 a year for my friend (same age, same cars, $4500 worth of work)

#20 ·
what he get insured though? all his aftermarket parts?

Im all set i like my insurance considering I pay 80 bucks a month cant beat that for someone who doesnt like spending cash on stupid crap like insurance :cool:

#23 ·
the brake booster is also different there are tons of little this and thats, put it this way... you will have more money to swap over a cobra motor in teh swap then to buy a 99 cobra flat out...

#25 ·
didnt know they didnt make one for 00...weird...im talkin any 99-02 cobra motor then.

#26 ·
hmm after doing more research, only 100 were made for '02 and they were shipped to Austrailia...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.