Breaks Wheels - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Breaks Wheels

ok been a mustang owner for 1 week!

Ok I am going to look at some bullit gray 17" rims and tires in place of my 16" to my understanding this is a good move for handling and breaking performance correct me if I am wrong.

Breaks- called O'Riellys told them I am having alot of break dust problems with current pads the recomend the wagner witch will reduce the dust and have there lifetime warranty. Is this a good set of break pads for a 2003 Mustang V6?

Thanks,
Benjamin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	me and my stang.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	20692  
Bgover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Breaks Wheels

As far as wheels shop around and BEFORE YOU BUY post up what you want and let us see if we can find you a better deal. Check Mustang Parts & Performance - American Muscle and our other sponsors some give discounts for being a member here.

You should be able to set a set of wheels and tires used for around 500-700 (I just sold a set of nice 03 chrome cobra wheels and tires for 700 for example)

You need to make sure you get the correct size tire also before you buy make SURE you post so we can help you get the right size so your speedometer wont be off or the tire wont be to narrow etc.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

ok well I am looking at a great deal on a set of 17" bullit grey that fit my 03 with tires unsure of the tire size but they are coming off another mustang for $200. I figured if they are the wrong size tire even $200 for the wheels was a good deal.
And you had stated previously to me that I should lower 1 1/2 inches is that in the springs and stuff and how could I tell if it has already been lowered? I really don't know I was just happy when I looked under the car and seen that I wasn't going to have to install stabalizers cause they where already there....lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

But really I want to know about the breaks I can get pads for all four wheels for about $110+tx
Old 05-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Wagner makes a decent pad. Personally i prefer Raybestos, but its just personal preference. Whatever you get, make sure they are ceramic pads. Ceramic pads are the least dust creating pads you can make. And are the quitest. Semi metallic can cause some noise occasionaly because of the metalic pieces in the pads. Organic pads just plain suck, and don't last long. I call them mother-in-law pads. Only vehicle i would put them on is the mother-in-laws
Old 05-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

tires are 245/45
Old 05-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

hawk pads ftw!

dunno about the 99-04 but 245/45/17's are stock 17's on 94-98 (well optional i guess...but a type of stock), i put 255/40/17's with tons of room to spare (this again is on a 94, dunno about ur 03)

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

for about 300 dollars you can buy two ford front cobra brake calipers (much better than your stock brake calipers) and they come with brake pads (oem ford) you will just need rotors (100-150 bucks) for the front and thats it (possibly brake lines but those are cheap)

and the OEM ford pads have always worked great for me, I have NO issue with brake dust... but I do clean my car weekly (or did when I daily drived it)

your car is probably not lowered already and a set of maximum motorsport full length subframes (or some good full length subframes) welded in on the frame rails on the car is a MUST for a convertible, the stock ones ford bolts on sucks... the MM one are only 100ish~ (140 or so) and their is a sponsor on the fourms selling MM parts at a discount as well.

I have mm's on my car and they REALLY improved the ride and feel of the car, its amazing. You just have to get someone to weld them on (get bare steel) and then coat them with rust proof paint
Old 05-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks I will look into to those options. Right now I can only do so much at a time. You know money and all but today I got those 17" rims on my car with 245/45 g-force tires. Pick up some duralast Cmax gold ceramic break pads going to put them on in the morning...

pic of my new wheels!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new wheels.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	20703  
Old 05-31-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

looks good, those rims came on gt's as an option, i like them.

when doing the pads make sure you tq the bolts down good on the calipers and for the rear calipers you need a special tool to turn the rear brake piston into the caliper, just fyi (i think you can rent it at autozone)
Old 06-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
looks good, those rims came on gt's as an option, i like them.

when doing the pads make sure you tq the bolts down good on the calipers and for the rear calipers you need a special tool to turn the rear brake piston into the caliper, just fyi (i think you can rent it at autozone)

Yeah I like the look of these rims....for now at least

I got the front pads on and the back pads are on order apparently ceraminic pads in the back are not a common request. But thanks on the heads up on needing the tool that would have made life a bit difficult.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgover View Post
But thanks on the heads up on needing the tool that would have made life a bit difficult.
ya, i replaced some wheel studs and somehow something got outa line so it turned into a brake job as well... i don't know if anyone else has done this alot, but on my 94 it was a huge pita to turn that thing. it took me and a buddy to get that thing to turn and the tool doesn't like to stay on that piston, seriously a huge pita, it mighta been better if it wasn't raining... but still. hopefully its slightly redesigned on your model or mine is just retarded, i hope it goes a lot smoother for you. (tool rental was 55 bucks here at the local autozone, dunno if that helps ne thing)

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang