Premium vs 87 Octane Gasoline - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2009, 02:00 PM   #1

Region: Canada
Premium vs 87 Octane Gasoline

I have an 09 V6 mustang and I have noticed a huge difference in performance when I fill up with premium vs regular grade gasoline (the premium giving my car much more power). Though I noticed in my owners manual that Ford recommends against this. Is there any real danger to my engine using a higher octane gasoline? And why would Ford not recommend premium?
Spitfire_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Re: Premium vs 87 Octane Gasoline

there is no power gain. It's all in your head. Your car isn't tuned to use the higher octane gas, and therefore, that's why it's advised against.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

That's why you use mid-grade until you get your tune.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

could be where you get your gas maybe... maybe the regular is crap while the premium isn't... just an idea...

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

why would the car have to be tuned to use and recieve benefit from higher octane? The higher octane is bascially gonna make it so more of the gas burns, theoretically increasing power and mpg. Though i agree it will be barely noticable, and its more likely that its just crap gas compared to ok gas.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80 View Post
why would the car have to be tuned to use and recieve benefit from higher octane? The higher octane is bascially gonna make it so more of the gas burns, theoretically increasing power and mpg. Though i agree it will be barely noticable, and its more likely that its just crap gas compared to ok gas.

The higher octane actually withstands higher temps which is why you can lean out the A/F and squeeze out more power. With advanced timing in generic tunes you'll need the extra octane to fight off detonation.
To increase power and mpg on an NA car you would want a larger gap plug backed up by a good ignition system.
The only way "more gas will burn" is if his stock tune has been tweaked, otherwise high octane might actually take away power.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:37 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Correct..

Octane rating is a measure of the fuel's resistance to detonation (preignition/spark knock) where the fuel ignites in the cylinder first, then the spark plug fires, and the two flame fronts collide..

Higher octane allows for more timing advance

The only way you're getting more fuel to burn is to add fuel using a tuner or tricking the car into thinking its running colder/change the MAF - but none of those things add power unless timing is adjusted to take advantage of it..

IMO running regular or premium in a stock tune mustang will not negatively affect it either way. But premium will not help either, your car has no 'good fuel/bad fuel' tables which increase or decrease timing like some cars do

I say save your money for now (For the record I was a ford tech for over 4 years, now supporting technicians from the corporate side) Unless your car audibly pings under high load (hard on the gas in a high gear or going up hills for example) it won't help you..
Old 06-01-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I guess it works a little different than i thought. TY for the info. I was under the impression that under normal driving condintions, that not all the fuel was burned and therfore wasted and sent out the exhaust. And the higher octane would burn more of the fuel and therefore send less out the exhaust. Causing a slight (probably unnoticeable) increase in power.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if you have bad gas in your area then higher octane may help but thats about the only reason to use it in a newer car thats not tuned for it
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

your car doesn't "know" what gas it's using. It runs the tune that's loaded. That tune is for the regular gas, and therefore it'll use the premium just like it were regular gas.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 06-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

I know a lot of people who believe that higher octane gas is “better” for your car than lower octane gas, as if the words premium next to the higher ratings actually mean the gasoline is better for your car. It isn’t. If you believe it is, don’t be dismayed, you’ve simply become accustomed to reading the words “premium” next to the label and believing the great marketing machine that helped create over $10B in 4th quarter profits for companies like Exxon-Mobil. The octane rating of gasoline is a measure of how much you can compress the gasoline before it ignites, not how “good” it is.

Cars that require higher octane gas actually need that higher priced gas because the engines compress the fuel more before it ignites it. If you put regular gas in a car that requires premium, the gas will prematurely ignite when it’s being compressed and the engine will give you a knocking sound. This is bad for your car.
For all you burgeoning chemists, gasoline is basically octane and heptane, or hydrocarbon chains that are 8 (octane) or 7 (heptane) carbons long. Octane simply can be compressed better (i.e. without the exploding part, at least at the same levels of pressure) than heptane. An octane rating of 87 means it’s 87% octane.

HowStuffWorks "What does octane mean?"

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

what's 110 octane then?

Old 06-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Product Code 00290
Density ; g/cm³ @ 15ºC (60ºF) 0.728
Gravity ; º API 63
Color Red
Octane Number , AKI , (R+M) /2 110
Octane Number Motor 106
Octane Number , Research 115
Octane Number , Road n/a
Reid Vapor Pressure , psi 6.5
Temperature @ V/L = 6 , ºC (ºF) 63 (145)
Distillation , ºC (ºF) @ % Evap.
Initial Boiling Point 36 (96)
10 67(152)
50 102 (216)
90 108 (226)
End Point 135 (275)
Copper Corrosion , ASTM D130 1A
Doctor Test , ASTM D4952 Negative
Existent Gum , ASTM D381 , mg/100 ml 1.0
Oxidation Stability , ASTM D525 , minutes 1,440+
Lead , g/gal <4.0
Sulfur , wt % 0
Viscosity , cSt @ 16ºC (60ºF) 0.7
Methanol also has a nice safety feature -- you can extinguish a methanol fire with water. 110-octane gasoline also handles high compression well. Nitromethane is basically a liquid explosive and contains a great deal of energy per unit volume (more than twice that of gasoline).

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...uel/index.html

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
what's 110 octane then?
you always heard the saying "give 110%" well that is when in that special moment when its needed most that your gasoline trys its hardest help you win that race...

or it has somethin to do with methanol or something ^

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #15

Region: Canada

The more that I think about it the more it could have been bad gas I filled up with before. Normally I fill up in the city though I filled up in the country last time. I drive a chevy Blazer too which is my everyday vehicle and I certainly have never noticed any difference in premium vs regular gasoline in it.

My engine in my mustang is just beyong the break-in point as well. I have just over 1000 kms on it now.
Out of curiosity though would tuning my mustang to run on 93 octane make any real horsepower gains?
Spitfire_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_31 View Post
The more that I think about it the more it could have been bad gas I filled up with before. Normally I fill up in the city though I filled up in the country last time. I drive a chevy Blazer too which is my everyday vehicle and I certainly have never noticed any difference in premium vs regular gasoline in it.

My engine in my mustang is just beyong the break-in point as well. I have just over 1000 kms on it now.
Out of curiosity though would tuning my mustang to run on 93 octane make any real horsepower gains?
When you say real, yes. A tune will produce real world numbers along the hp/tq curve that will make a significant but noticeable throttle response and some other areas as any tune will. But what I think you mean by real is big #'s all I can say is you will see gradual gains because it will depend on how safe a tune the tuner runs, how much adjustment he makes, and, of course, how moderate the stock tune really was. I'm sure in some cases you could see up to 25HP gains.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:29 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

My sister worked at a 7 eleven gas station. They have this monitor in the back for the in ground tanks. It tells how much fuel is in the tanks and...........Water content. Mid grade and Premium water content always read 0% while Regular would read 5-15%.
This is probably why some people feel a difference from Reg. to Mid. or Prem gasolines. For every hundred gallons of gas you buy you paid gas prices for 5-15 gallons of water.

96 honda magna vf750, K&N, Vance and Hines pipes Rejetted carbs
Ninethourpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

well ethanol promotes water as it absorbs it~ this is why you cant get 100% pure alcohol from stores. They now put ethanol in gas so im sure thats where some of it comes from.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

But it doesnt explain why there so much more in regular than mid and premium. They have ethanol too. It sound like just another case of bending over for the oil company.

96 honda magna vf750, K&N, Vance and Hines pipes Rejetted carbs
Ninethourpm is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang