Supercharger or Nitrous? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2003, 10:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Supercharger or Nitrous?

im thinking about getting a procharger or a 100+ shot of nitrous. Is there a way i could run a 150 shot of nitrous with forged internals. If not I guess ill go with the supercharger.
ERICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2003, 11:28 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Re: Supercharger or Nitrous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick
im thinking about getting a procharger or a 100+ shot of nitrous. Is there a way i could run a 150 shot of nitrous with forged internals. If not I guess ill go with the supercharger.
Personally I would just save up for a procharger. You would need a new maf, and Injectors ect.

As for Nitrous, I personally wouldnt go over a 75 shot on our motors stock. Ive seen what a 125 shot of Nitrous has done to one engine and ill stay away from that. If you put nitrious on a stock motor dont go above 100. 100 will work, but its still pushing it. After a while it will take a toll on your engine (faster). All though nitrous is the cheaper and easier alternative. And yes a 150 shot of Nitrous will work well with forged internals along with some other things.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 06:11 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
The first question I ask is how old the car and how many miles. If you have a high mileage car and any oil consumption I would suggest doing neither unless you want to do a engine rebuild. The building up of the engines bottom end with forged Rods, Pistons will give you the ability to run larger shots of nitrous and higher PSI with a supercharger

I want to bring up something you did not mention. What is your desired goal. The use of Supercharger or Nitrous both have advantages and disadvantages.

Cost: SC's are rather expensive upfront with a lot of hidden cost to get them running at optimal performance and to prevent it from damaging your engine. Nitrous is less expensive up front but the cost of filling the bottle if you use it alot can add up and as long as you dont try anything over a 75-100 shot you will be better off. But 75 is a safe limit on a stock motor.

Power: SC's power is constant. The SC is belt driven so it is always running. Nitrous is on demand only on when you turn it on. As a daily drivers the Nitrous can have advantages by not subjecting the engine to the constant stress a SC puts on a engine. But the sudden shock caused by nitrous can also be damaging especially if you run the nitrous at anything but WOT(wide open throttle) or to large a shot.

Just remember if you want dependability you need a good tune for either SC or Nitrous.

Corey

Old 05-08-2003, 12:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Its a 2001 with 50k miles on it. Its my everday car so I only race a couple a times a month. So far i have a mac cai, dual exhaust, mac shorty headers, 4.10 gears and T-loc. What else besides forged internals would i need to try to run a 150 shot. Also, if i run 150, is that to the rear or the engine?
Old 05-08-2003, 12:34 PM   #5
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I would think the 150 means to the engine. Take about 15% off that to get the power to the wheels? Am I right?
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 12:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard some nitrous kits are measured to the wheels, and others to the engine. I'm not sure about the nx kit i'm thinkin of getin.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:45 PM   #7
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
I thought nitrous was measured at the wheels
Old 05-08-2003, 01:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

hope so
Old 05-12-2003, 03:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to maverik
You can runa 150 shot of nitrous virtually safely if and only if you have an upgraded fuel system up to the task, a new wider MAF to help get more air in, and above all else a WET nitrous system. NOS and Venom make the best that I have seen. Nos has a system that plugs in before your injectors and Venom has the best computer controlled system I have seen yet... the downsides... though you have 150 hp at your fingertips, the price of a wet system is about a grand if you are getting good quality and you have to keep refilling the bottle. Save for a supercharger, and in the mean time start upgrading your fuel, exhaust, and air induction systems in preparation for the supercharger. I would get 30# lb injectors and as wide a MAF and throttle body I could. 2.5 inch exhaust piping is the biggest I would go, with of course 3.5 inch tips a new fuel pump also. When you get the supercharger, make sure to get a chip also or you wont be getting the max out of your motor.

8) Dan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
nitrous