new member in need of help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-21-2005, 03:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to project232
new member in need of help

hello , i have been reading the forums on this site for a couple of months now and decided to join in. you guys seem very helpful and nice , unlike other forum sites.

so here is my question...
i have a 2000 ford mustang v6 and its in need of power.
im getting tired of being made fun of at work for having a v6 mustang ,
i want to do a few mods to the stang to get it alittle quckier , but at the same time not spending to much money.
i have a gtech performance meter and i tested the stang as it is right now ...
0-60 = 7.4 secs
1/4 mile = 15.6-15.4 secs? i cant remember
1/4 speed = cant remember

so what im wanting to know is what are a few modifications that i could make th the stang to make it alittle more powerful/quicker? without spending to much money.

thanks

2000 Ford Mustang V6

mods listed on Johnson-performance.com
project232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 07:22 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
first off, do you have a manual or an automatic? from your times, i'd guess automatic, or else you're a crappy driver lol

but seriously, the first thing you need to do is get GT takeoff exhaust, and an H pipe to replace your stock single exhaust. it'll be a $300 job tops if you have a good shop, and it'll allow your engine to breathe better

you should be able to pick up a cold air intake for around $150, and an underdrive pulley for about $60. these two mods you can install yourself, just need a sturdy socket set and a breaker bar

next, you should really think about having a 8.8 rear differential put in. it won't add power to your engine, but it WILL allow more of your engine's current power to get to the ground, as well as allowing your car to do two wheel burnouts. for gears, you should have 3.73's if you're a manual, 4.10's if you're an auto... while you're having that done, another wise mod would be an aluminum driveshaft, it's lighter than your stock steel driveshaft, so even more power will make it too the ground. these two mods will get more power to the ground, and give you a LOT more punch off the line. words of wisdom though, don't take this mod to a shop, cuz they'll charge you out the *** for labor. instead, get in touch with some of the nearby people on this board, like spector v or brent, whitestang, n8r or me, we'lll be happy to help you install your rear differential. we'll make a party of it rear diff and aluminum driveshaft will be your most expensive stage 1 mods, $230 for the DS, and around $500-600 for the differential, but the cost is well worth it

in fact, since you're in murfreesboro, i can show you a couple of good places to get some of this work done if you want, i'm local

welcome to the site

Old 02-21-2005, 07:24 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

and after all that, if you're an automatic, get a shift kit.. or if you're a manual tranny, get a short throw shifter
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 08:01 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Send a message via AIM to NorwegianMustang Send a message via MSN to NorwegianMustang Send a message via Yahoo to NorwegianMustang
:wstupid:

Best bang for the buck is gears, best hp bang for the buck is N2O.

:givebeer:
Old 02-21-2005, 08:51 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

nitrous is a waste of money on a stock engine. most he could safely use is a 75 wetshot
Old 02-21-2005, 09:47 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24
Nitrous is safe with a good tune as long as you don't go crazy with it.

gears and a power adder is what you want. The bolt ons don't do much with the V6. Pullies are about the only decent bolt on for you (I'm not including gears as a bolt on there)

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

automatic = 4.10s/tlok, 3k converter, nitrous
5spd = 4.10s/tlok, shifter, nitrous

enjoy.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark
nitrous is a waste of money on a stock engine. most he could safely use is a 75 wetshot
What ???? Dude all a standard Vortech will add on a V6 is 75 hp. In what world is 75 HP not a good increase in HP??????
Old 02-21-2005, 02:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

its a automatic trans , im new to the mustang world so what do u mean by "gt takeoffs" ? do u mean the exhaust system off the GT?

"DARK"- thats cool that me live in the same city , its my first day on here and already found someone in the same city as me ! , lol

2000 Ford Mustang V6

Old 02-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #10
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
yeah, GT Takeoffs are the cut exhaust from a Mustang GT. It welds onto your system to give you dual exhaust. They hack off all your old crap, and weld the takeoffs up.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

oh ok , thats what i thought ..now , how would it sound?

2000 Ford Mustang V6

Old 02-21-2005, 03:59 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by project232
oh ok , thats what i thought ..now , how would it sound?
If you're looking for the V8 sound..you're not gonna get it out of a v6. I have Mach1 takeoff's and love the sound, well most of the time. I don't know if other ppl's do this, but over 3000 rpms the sound kinda cuts out. But man, at 2500, it sounds so great. Always getting complements thrown my way by ppl who know it's a v6. It sounds pretty throaty for a v6 around 2000, but it's still a v6, so the hint of rice is still there. I had a friend do a drive by in my car the other day and it sounds pretty decent.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:07 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
wait.. 0-60 at 7.4 secs and a 1/4 mile of 15.6-15.4 secs? do stock 2000 3.8 stangs really do that? i thought it was in the 16 second area?

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:56 PM   #14
I liek gramer
Legacy

I'll get you a sound clip of mine if you want...

I just had GT Takeoffs installed last saturday, stock everything else.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:57 PM   #15
I liek gramer
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
If you're looking for the V8 sound..you're not gonna get it out of a v6. I have Mach1 takeoff's and love the sound, well most of the time. I don't know if other ppl's do this, but over 3000 rpms the sound kinda cuts out. But man, at 2500, it sounds so great. Always getting complements thrown my way by ppl who know it's a v6. It sounds pretty throaty for a v6 around 2000, but it's still a v6, so the hint of rice is still there. I had a friend do a drive by in my car the other day and it sounds pretty decent.
mine cuts off at 3k kinda too.

Haha, people said it might increase gas mileage... Nope. All I've done is keep it between 2 and 3k... lol.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas
wait.. 0-60 at 7.4 secs and a 1/4 mile of 15.6-15.4 secs? do stock 2000 3.8 stangs really do that? i thought it was in the 16 second area?
yeah i think your right, i'm a good driver and when i took everything out of my car i only ran a 16.06 thats with mods too

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:04 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

i read somewhere that the stock 3.8 runs a 15.5 in the 1/4 mile and when i "gteched" the car i came up with a 15.4 at the best. and the only thing i have is a flowmaster 40 , and a modified airbox and a K&N filter , so its basic stock...

yea i know that i cant get it to sound like a v8 , i was just wondering how a 6 would sound with v8 pipes .

i have rethought my question and what i would like is to get my 6'er to be close to the speed of a stock GT , of the same year as mine.

2000 Ford Mustang V6

Old 02-22-2005, 07:42 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

my answer applies to both of your questions

to add power to your engine, you NEED dual exhaust. there's no way a mustang stock single exhaust can handle gt power, the single exhaust is simply too restrictive. you're likely to blow a head gasket if you try to mod without dual exhaust, and that is a ***** to replace, so GET the GT takeoffs. $300 tops

cold air intake will get more air to your engine faster, the stock air box plain sucks, even with a K&N.. more air is always good. $160 tops. $100 if you shop around

underdrive pulley will reduce parasitic drag caused by your accessories (i.e.- A/C and powersteering) by changing your pulley size, thereby freeing up horsepower.. $80 tops

8.8 rear differential with 4.10s (on your auto) and an aluminum driveshaft will give you dual rear wheel drive, and give your stang a much need boost off the line. rear diff = $600 tops. aluminum DS = $240 tops. if you don't want to spend that much on an 8.8, you can have your 7.5 stock open differential upgraded at a performance shop, but personally, i'd go with the 8.8

for your automatic, you'll need a shift kit. basically it's a computer program that contains a more versatile program that tells your computer when to shift the transmission. still not as good as a 5 speed, but definitely the next best thing

with these mods together you'll be eating smoked rice for breakfast.. you won't quite be able to hang with a gt, but you'll be able to make them wonder. these mods are typically called stage one. they're the "necessary" mods that we all need to do if we want to build up our cars

and corey, i know that 75hp is significant, i just don't think that should be the first mod anyone does. i'm sure he'd rather play it safe and build his stang the right way than risk his engine trying to spray too much nitrous... so there :-p
Old 02-22-2005, 07:44 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

but IF he wants to go to the dark side, then gt takeoffs, CAI and a 75 wet shot will get him to nearly GT level

Old 02-22-2005, 07:45 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark
and corey, i know that 75hp is significant, i just don't think that should be the first mod anyone does. i'm sure he'd rather play it safe and build his stang the right way than risk his engine trying to spray too much nitrous... so there :-p
YOU STUCK YOUR TONGUE OUT AT MY !!! BROTHER COREY IS MOST DISPLEASED WITH THIS BEHAVIOR. I HAVE A RIGHT MIND TO BEAT YOU WITH A RUBBER HOSE. BY GOD!!!

As for nitrous a 75 shot on a stock motor with a good SCT tune is very reliable. so there :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
Old 02-22-2005, 12:31 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh
CAI, arent they basically allll the same?? I mean there is no reason to go somewhere and spend 200 bucks on a CAI when you can goto Ebay and get the same one, made by prob the same companies others are selling. YOu can get em on ebay for 40 bucks.

Just have to make sure there arent alot of 90degree bends. MAC Straightshot cold air with a heatshield is the best IMHO.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Send a message via AIM to 232stang01 Send a message via Yahoo to 232stang01
Just get a CAI off of e-bay. You shouldn't have to spend more than around 70 bucks shipped. The only difference between the one you get oon e-bay and a mac of BBK is the sticker they put on it. It's not a big enough gain to pay over $150 for.
232stang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:09 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStang99
mine cuts off at 3k kinda too.

Haha, people said it might increase gas mileage... Nope. All I've done is keep it between 2 and 3k... lol.
Haha, I still do that man, I just leave it in second when I'm driving around town, keeps it around 2500, just right to have my mirror vibrating. That's where I had it going up the mountain in Chattanooga. I wanna see what difference in sound there is between my Mach1 exhaust and your Gt takeoff's...shouldn't be much if any. Just being curious since we both have a stock engine with just exhaust.
Our's:
Old 02-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #24
I liek gramer
Legacy

^ mine will still be that way at the V6 race, so if urs is, we can compare.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:04 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStang99
^ mine will still be that way at the V6 race, so if urs is, we can compare.
I'll try and keep them on...may not though. Think I have a friend that's gonna help me get a good deal on new mufflers, but I'll wait until after then lol
Our's:
Old 03-09-2005, 05:50 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
dude those times sound way too fast for being an auto

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:17 AM   #27
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR
Y'all are forgetting one of the BIGGEST HP/TQ gainers is a CAM.
The cam will work with everything else, and the new lobes are
really hot! See my sig for the GP going on now...
Old 03-10-2005, 10:20 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
I am not very far from your part of TN, im in the very top corner of alabama... and the kidding at work will never go away its just part of the life.... unless you dump 10k in to your car and then they will STILL talk crap... just have to hope they have slow cars that you can beat up on.

since you have an auto in stock form you are running 16.0 quarters or slower, 7.7 0-60 or slower you can shave a TON of time off your car with a tq converter, shift kit, chip, rear end gears, bolt ons you would be pretty amazed but its not that cheap...

since you are close to me and brent im sure we would be happy to help you out how ever we could.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang