Help Needed - Cigar Lighter wont work for 98 Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Help Needed - Cigar Lighter wont work for 98 Mustang

If the cigar lighter in my mustang is not working, what could it be? Just a fuse? Thing is when i look at a fuse diagram online and compare it to my fuse box it seems a tad bit different to me...
StreetJMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Help Needed - Cigar Lighter wont work for 98 Mustang

Most likely going to be just a fuse. do you still have your manual? if so the diagram for your car should be in there. im not sure but the diagram might be on the fuse box cover also.

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

this is an image of the diagram i found online, every diagram looks the same

... except i cant seem to see the similarities between, this diagram and my actual fuse box in the engine compartment, which is here

Please pardon my ignorance, but any of your expertise would greatly be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

And if i was correct in identifying the fuse for the lighter, than this is not the problem, as the fuse looks clean and brand new, what else could the problem be.. also, am i missing fuses, for example on the image iuploaded, top left corner are 6 smal fuses the one at the bottom to the left is gone, what does this control??
Old 06-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

ok well let me get home and look at my car then. well the next thing to check would the lighter element its self. you might have burnt it out. i would just check the box for blown fuses just incase you may have picked the wrong one. did it ever work at one point?

Old 06-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah it was working fine but it suddenly stopped working and along with it went the other port located right behind the e brake, u know the power port on the center compartment between both front seats, they both stopped working together
Old 06-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

huh? well if its not a fuse then it will be your wiring, and i SUCK with wiring.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Definitely a fuse. Check all of them, very carefully. It happened on my '98, I never fixed it since I never really needed the outlet. Sometimes another fuse can affect it.

It's either that or the connections behind the outlets are busted. But for the outlets to work previously and for both connections to go undone, definitely a fuse.

With the car off, pull out each fuse, ONE AT A TIME, and inspect, replace any blown fuses. Make sure you note each fuse you pull out so it goes it the correct spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Osiris guy, but i still cant seem to identify the fuses from my box with the diagram ... i posted a picture of my fuse box, with a picture of the diagrams in a reply above, and i see more fuse slots in my fuse box than i see on the diagram....and it seems as im missing quite a few fuses, or maybe its just my lack of knowledge

the fuse i identified as the fuse for the cigar lighter seems fine, but there is a much smaller fuse i see busted a few slots above it, could this be the problem?
Old 06-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJMusic View Post
Thanks Osiris guy, but i still cant seem to identify the fuses from my box with the diagram ... i posted a picture of my fuse box, with a picture of the diagrams in a reply above, and i see more fuse slots in my fuse box than i see on the diagram....and it seems as im missing quite a few fuses, or maybe its just my lack of knowledge

the fuse i identified as the fuse for the cigar lighter seems fine, but there is a much smaller fuse i see busted a few slots above it, could this be the problem?
yes, more than likely. reguardless if it isnt it that meant something else in your car isnt working. go ahead and change it.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks ill do so, if the problem persists I'll return and maybe you guys have some other suggestions as to what the issue could be, as of now ill go replace that fuse, thanks guys i really appreciate your time
Old 06-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Let us know regardless if it works or not
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 06-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

just dont smoke
carlosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If its not the fuse its more than likely going to be the actual cig. lighter element that your plugging into. Check the tabs inside it so that to make sure they are bent in and make sure they are making contact onto the charger/lighter your using. Are you using a specific charger? try another if it continues to go out or not work.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah it was working fine but it suddenly stopped working and along with it went the other port located right behind the e brake, u know the power port on the center compartment between both front seats, they both stopped working together
Ignore above post. Its going to either be a fuse or a split/broken/frayed/f*ed wire.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, so I changed the fuse, and both the cig lighter and the other power outlet both work now with my charger. I panicked for a minute cause i tested it out with the actual Cig. lighter and the lighter itself wouldnt work... usually when it heats up the mustang pops it out, and well it wasnt heating or anything, but i plugged my charger into the second power outlet and it was finally working again...

So heres the issue now, the cig. lighter compartment is not heating the lighter up at all... but when i plug the charger in place of the lighter, I have to turn and somewhat rig the charger in an angle where i see the light on the charger light up, so the cigarette lighter outlet is working except it doesnt make GREAT contact with the charger unless i turn the charger while plugged until i see the light come on to confirm theres power, anything i could do to make sure it works regardless of what angle my charger is plugged in...
Old 06-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay, so I changed the fuse, and both the cig lighter and the other power outlet both work now with my charger. I panicked for a minute cause i tested it out with the actual Cig. lighter and the lighter itself wouldnt work... usually when it heats up the mustang pops it out, and well it wasnt heating or anything, but i plugged my charger into the second power outlet and it was finally working again...

So heres the issue now, the cig. lighter compartment is not heating the lighter up at all... but when i plug the charger in place of the lighter, I have to turn and somewhat rig the charger in an angle where i see the light on the charger light up, so the cigarette lighter outlet is working except it doesnt make GREAT contact with the charger unless i turn the charger while plugged until i see the light come on to confirm theres power, anything i could do to make sure it works regardless of what angle my charger is plugged in...
sounds like you might of worn out the connection.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

have you checked Passenger compartment fuse panel (the one above yer clutch foot). Fuse location 1. 20 AMP (yellow).

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

^He replaced the fuses. Now the actual plugs just sound bad.

First thing I would do is whatever you are charging, have it plugged into the charger and then plug it into the outlet normally when the LED light does not go on. It could be possible that the little LED is defective. I am sure this is unlikely and you've already done this, just to plug in the charger to charge your device.

Next inspect the charger plug itself. Make sure the metal pin on the tip extends out, most of them are spring loaded to ensure a good contact. This is the positive lead as well in case you did not know. Next check the ground plates on the charger - those are the metal strips that are on the side, usually there are two of them. These usually have a little spring to them to ensure a good contact.

Make sure none of those contacts are broken or worn. Also does the plug fit snugly? It should be a nice tight fit inside.

What I really think it may be, along with DarkShadow is the actual outlet itself. You can usually pick up replacement ones at any hardware store for a few bucks. If there is a tab inside of the outlet it may have flattened which would also explain the blown fuse as well.You can try and pry it back out but after you disconnect your battery since the outlets are hot at all times and you will just wind up blowing fuses again. The terminals could also be a little corroded.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 06-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
What I really think it may be, along with DarkShadow is the actual outlet itself. You can usually pick up replacement ones at any hardware store for a few bucks. If there is a tab inside of the outlet it may have flattened which would also explain the blown fuse as well.You can try and pry it back out but after you disconnect your battery since the outlets are hot at all times and you will just wind up blowing fuses again. The terminals could also be a little corroded.
Yeah i think its the actual outlet itself, cause the cigar lighter doesnt heat up at all, when i plug the charger in place of the cigar lighter i have to turn it till the light turns on indicating theres a connection

Like you said, it could be the terminals - I think the terminals are corroded, i looked down the primary cigar lighter outlet and i see reddish rust like color
Old 06-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosc View Post
just dont smoke
^+1 that would fix your problem also...

sounds like you got it figured out, does your lighter work in the accessory power port? didn't remmeber reading about trying that, cause if it worked the first time in that i would diffently say it was the outlet, i know some chargers for stuff such as phones and whatnot can be made cheaply and decide not to work whenever...

you could try a metal brush and cleaning the contacts and using a can of air to blow out the powder remenits (make sure to close and cover your eyes and/or wear saftey goggles) again, make sure you disconnect the battery like OsirisGuy said unless you like sparts/blow fuses/being shocked or a mixture of the above...

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:45 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Pffft... you haven't lived until you breathe in rust and get a piece in your eye

Seriously though it is not fun.

Also - If you do not want to disconnect your battery, say you do not want to lose your saved radio stations, the trim piece is easy to remove and you can just disconnect the back of the cigarette lighter. I think my '98 had a round plug for the positive terminal and just a female spade connector for the ground that attached to the side in the back.

It could have been different, On my '02 there is an actual plug you can connect and disconnect, the '98 may have that also.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 07-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #23

Region: Texas
Send a message via MSN to gregs_brat Send a message via Yahoo to gregs_brat
Question Re: Help Needed - Cigar Lighter wont work for 98 Mustang

I am having the same type of problems in my 97. I have replaced the fuses 2X's and after replacing the fuses and got a new lighter part it blow again. The extra one in the dash I have yet to find a replacement part for it is shot. Is it possible autozone sold me the wrong lighter? It works fine with my chargers but not my lighter it blows every time. Thank you to the original poster. It answered a few of my questions with this problem.
gregs_brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Are you sure you have the right rating fuse in?

I'm seeing a 30 Amp fuse for the Cigar Lighter and Auxiliary Socket. I'm not 100% sure if this is correct. It is also for the 4.6L engine although both the V6 and V8 models should be the same.

If the fuse is correct then check the wiring leading up to it there must be a short somewhere. Could be possible that there is a bent tab where the socket connects into the original harness, where the ground and power are close enough to touch, inside the socket or the cigar lighter itself. If you simply spliced in check the wiring if you were a little sloppy hooking it up (even if you didn't splice in).
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang