what mods should i do first? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
what mods should i do first?

i have a 2007 v6 mustang manual trans no mods i want to know what mods i should do first and what would add alot of hp without goin with a turbo or supercharger
zapstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: what mods should i do first?

Well, I'm guessing you want a decent hp car to drive around without having to spend a ton of money.

A very effective mod is to upgrade your rearend. Since you don't plan on adding a power adder ~ supercharger/turbo, you could keep your stock 7.5inch rear. Upgrading your gears and adding a tlok will be quite noticeable. While it won't boost hp, it will give you much better acceleration (that is felt throughout the powerband), launches, some handling, and the tlok will give allow you to do two wheel burnouts
(keep in mind that you'll need a tuner to adjust the speedo after gears/tlock)

Adding some bolt ons ~ CAI, exhaust, udp's, followed by a tune (handheld tuner ~ SCT, Diablosport) or a dyno tune will make the bolt on's more effective together, and give you a decent hp increase, nothing crazy like a supercharger, but some noticeable power. The tuner will also free up some hp, and let you raise the rev limiter, allow for gear/tire changes, etc.

Here's a good mod list to look at, give you an idea of options:

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t5654/

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #3

thanks alot i was also wondering how much hp i could get without a turbo or supercharger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

well if you get a stroker kit it'll be close to a v8 speedwise with a better rear end
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #5

how much would that cost n where could i find one
Old 06-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Procharger claims around 400hp with a 7-9psi system on a stock 4.0 running pump gas.
Vortech says 290/294 for the standard system, and 330/337 for the H.O. system.

The nice thing about both of these is that both are self lubricating, hence no tapping into the oil pan. The H.O. uses the air to water intercooler like the m112.

I don't know of any turbo kits for the 4.0's, maybe mrt, I know they have ones for GT's.

Despite what the manufacturers say, I would still consider upgrading suspension, drivetrain and brakes after any supercharger or turbo.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 06-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #7

which would u say is the best choice and what other mods would i have to do to go with somthing like the procharger also with superchargers do you feel the hp throughout the powerband and how much do they cost in the end
Old 06-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

tell me how much you can spend and we will tell you what to get to get the quickest quarter mile time
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #9

well this year i can proly spend about $3,000 and if i save for a year proly $6,000 im 16 so all the money i make would go to the car but my parents only let me work a little over the school year to keep grades up so pretty much got to relyon summer jobs
Old 06-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapstang View Post
i have a 2007 v6 mustang manual trans no mods i want to know what mods i should do first and what would add alot of hp without goin with a turbo or supercharger
ok here are some mods
cold air kit
under drive puller kit
get rid of the stock muffler... jba muffler or gt take off unit... etc.
these mod can be a great builting block for futures mods.
colorado pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Superchargers are nice because they don't have lag like turbos, but turbos run primarily off potential energy from the exhaust gas, making them more efficient.
A turbo will make more peak power than a supercharger, but a supercharger will provide a broader powerband.

People have said good things about both vortech and procharger, I think there's a couple guys on here using vortechs, maybe they can give some input.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:20 AM   #12

cool thks for the info do you know any sites to check out the vortech price ect.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
well this year i can proly spend about $3,000 and if i save for a year proly $6,000 im 16 so all the money i make would go to the car but my parents only let me work a little over the school year to keep grades up so pretty much got to relyon summer jobs
If you look hard enough, sometimes you can find guys selling new supercharger systems for cheap. They either switch project approaches, or just never get to using them. I've saw a couple new ones sell for around $2500 on forums with all the necessary install parts. If you find a legit deal like that you could buy one for now, and save up for supporting mods...or use the 3k on supporting mods now ~ brakes, drivetrain, suspension, and buy the supercharger in another year or so.

You may want to buy the supporting mods now and enjoy them for a year, then buy the supercharger. Upgrading to something like a supercharger is a big step in the mod-world. I've owned my car for 4 years and I only have exhaust and a CAI. Don't worry if you can't do it all right away.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:29 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
cool thks for the info do you know any sites to check out the vortech price ect.
vortech's official site might have pricing.

2005-2008 Ford Mustang V6 4.0L Supercharging Systems | Vortech Superchargers

ATI supercharger:
05-07 V6 Mustang Superchargers/parts: ATI ProCharger 05-07 Mustang 4.0 V6 Stage 2 Intercooled System with P-1SC

STILLEN : Vortech 2005-2007 Ford Mustang V6 4.0L Supercharger Systems

Old 06-08-2009, 12:29 AM   #15

thnks alot i think i'll proly do the supporting mods now n save up for the supercharger
Old 06-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Superchargers are nice because they don't have lag like turbos, but turbos run primarily off potential energy from the exhaust gas, making them more efficient.
A turbo will make more peak power than a supercharger, but a supercharger will provide a broader powerband.

People have said good things about both vortech and procharger, I think there's a couple guys on here using vortechs, maybe they can give some input.
use a hybrid supercharge/turbo system best of both worlds right there... i think that would be a tad over budget though... if you quit school to fund the project i wouldn't blaim you (on a serious note, don't do this, i don't want your parents coming after me for saying a mustang is worth more than an education when in fact it is only a very close second...)

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:33 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyspirit058 View Post
i don't want your parents coming after me for saying a mustang is worth more than an education when in fact it is only a very close second...)
lol, nice

Old 06-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #18

haha my parents would kill me anyway if the supercharger thing doesnt work out (due to money time ect.) how much hp could i get from mods like dual exaust, headers, throttle body, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, spline traction with 3.73 gears, and a tuner also how much would that cost and how long would it take
Old 06-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #19

I agree for the most part with what others have sad. I'm a NA person myself for street. Here's a list that I did first and didn't break the wallet because I did a little bit at a time.
-CAI - about 15hp
-headers and custom 2 1/2 " dual exaust w/high flo cats - 20hp
(note: and you may already know, but getting air in and and out is what helps make more horse power, i.e, porting/polishing intake and heads or going with a stage 2 or 3 pak etc..)
-Better coil and wires like performancedistributors.com puts out - much better spark and conductors throughout rpm range and since you can open the gap to about .065 with some quality plugs you can get about 3HP due to the over all better combustion.
-at this point, I got a tuner because mods after this point can be taken advantage of. Take your pick, I use a Diablosport. - 15>20hp
-Tuner - will get you the most out of the above and will allow you to modify fuel/air, timing, etc.. for the motor, If you go with rear gears like 3.73 or bigger wheels the tuner will allow you to change them. I have a automatic and bought a performance torque converter at 2800 stall and the tuner lets you adjust torque modulaton, shift points, shift firmness. Once you do a dyno after some mods knowing where your max torque is will tell you where to shift if you like playing at the track. Since you have a manual, i'd go with a short throw shifter if you're going to keep it. Diablosport will send you custom tunes if needed as well. The others do from what I understand as well. If you need a specialized tune they may send you to one of their dealers and in some cases they can email the tune to you.
- I did gears and tracktion lok directly after the PI torque converter. Having a performance torque converter is like upgrading your clutch,pressure plate etc.. on your manual to get the most power to the rear wheels. Man, the difference was is amazing. They told me I'd see about 40% increase and they were not joking. I can't believe how much HP/torque can be just sitting at the flywheel without mods. You'll still burn the tires even with the tracktion lok depending on 3.73 or 4.10/mods etc..so I had to go with wider tires.
- Underdrive pulley swap if your'e not ever going to go with a super charger. The super charger needs the larger pulley to give it the most cranking pwr. Takes pwr to make pwr in that case. That's why I just like NA engines with the right internals for street.
- Stage 2 or 3 intake, cam, heads would be a great last mod to do unless you end up wanting to go with a stroker kit of some flavor. That will really get you flying. You'll want to think about a larger throttle body at that point and maybe some better fuel injectors.
-Subframe connectors and suspension kit.

I guess it just depends on how much HP/torque you want from your 4.0 and how much money you have. The most common mods to do first have been mentioned by myself and others here. If it were me, I'd go with headers and dual exaust first, then gears/tracktionlok (do them at the same time and get a master bearing kit w/shims,friction modifier,synthetic gear oil), then CAI to begin with.
My .02 worth

Have you seen Shelby's new 350HP V6 Terlingua Mustang ? He gives you quite a bit for the price. You can get up to 400HP NA from the V6 depending on what internals you go with though. And if a person is smart and doesn't want to break valve springs, connecting rods, other internals etc...than upgrading your internals is the way to go if you're considering a super charger later on anyway - depending on boost.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:47 AM   #20

Quote:
try SuperchargersOnline.com :: Home :: Superchargers and supercharger accessories by Vortech, Paxton, Whipple, ProCharger and much more!... new parts that are at discount
gt front sway bar and strut tower bracket,
8 auto meter electric guages
colorado pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:05 AM   #21

what site can i find a torque converter for my manual trans
Old 06-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
haha my parents would kill me anyway if the supercharger thing doesnt work out (due to money time ect.) how much hp could i get from mods like dual exaust, headers, throttle body, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, spline traction with 3.73 gears, and a tuner also how much would that cost and how long would it take
If you find headers for a good price, then get them, if not, they're not a priority. The stock headers will do fine since you're still N/A. They are a nice upgrade once you get that supercharger.

I would do dual exhaust, CAI, gears/tlok, and the tuner first. T/B and the spacer aren't a priority either. Another couple mods that aren't needed until the power adder is put on.

Realistically, these "bolt ons" won't give you huge increase in power.
CAI ~ 5-7hp exhaust ~ 5-10hp tuner ~ 15-20hp
Maybe 15-25rwhp total, possibly more depending on the tune
The gears/tlok will definitely help acceleration and launches

A short throw shifter will make quick shifting easier, and an upgraded clutch will free up some unused hp.

It takes as long as you allow it to based on money and time.
CAI ~ cheap one will do ($200 for 4.0's)
Exhaust ~ many different options $100-1000
Tuner ~ $380
(sometimes you can find a CAI/tuner package, American Muscle has them) just remember, DO NOT buy an off the shelf tuner. Get custom tunes that you want for your car.

Gears/Tlok ~ $500-1000+ parts and install

Old 06-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #23

Quote:
what site can i find a torque converter for my manual trans
Howdy
Automatics use Torque Converters
Manuals use a Clutch/Pressure plate/throw out bearing etc..

I was only giving you a example of what a tuner can do for you depending on what mods you do for your car. I've done just about everything on mine, but I've had it for many years.

So for your cars Manual transmission to get the most HP/Torque to the rear wheels that you already have sitting at the flywheel, you'll need to get a performance Clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing etc.. kit. This is not hard to do yourself if you have a friend thats done it before. Just be sure to get what they call a "Clutch Alignment Tool" for your Mustangs year.

Also, one of the first things to get for your car is a GOOD service manual like a Chiltons manual for your Mustangs year. They have a Pro CD as well if you want. You can buy a cheaper Haynes manual but you'll end up buying a Chiltons at some point if you want to start doing stuff yourself. Don't bother of course if you are not the type that wants to work on their own car. Don't attempt anything hard like Gears & TracktionLok if you have not done them before and don't have the tools for backlash etc.. Have a Transmission shop do your gears that you trust. Ask them if they've done them before for your car or get a friends advice that's in your area. Gears done right will put a huge smile on your face - gears done wrong will do just the opposite. Have FUN !
Old 06-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #24

Region: Florida

get a full exhaust system, cold air intake, pulleys, gears, a 100 shot, tune.
call it day.

that is all.
MannyFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

^^^There's no sense in spending hundreds of dollars on pulleys if he's going to supercharge it in the future. The larger stock pulley is better for the supercharger.

And you can't just run a 100 shot on stock internals/parts and be fine. Just like a supercharger or turbo, supporting mods are always the safest way considering the amount of extra load being put on the car.

The exhaust is a sound/looks preference, and the cai should just be a cheap one.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send a message via MSN to rydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Not true at all a properly sized turbo will be at full boost well before a supercharger and make more power per psi

97 V6-GT40 turbo-42#rs-BA2800 MAF-4.10's & tlok-254rwhp-369rwtq
Turbo'd by-TMA Turbo(http://www.tmaturbo.com/)
Tuned by-Dyno Tuned Performance(http://www.dtpracing.com/)
rydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang