7.5 to 8.8 rearend swap questions... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #1

7.5 to 8.8 rearend swap questions...

Ok im going to swap out my 7.5 rearend to a GT 8.8 takeoff (3.73gears). I have a 2006-V6-Auto. My questions are:
1.) is this a direct swap out like im hearing? do i need anything else? i.e. will everything bolt up i dont need something for the driveshaft to bolt up ext...

2.) What will my crusing RPM change to lets say at 75mph with 3.73 and whats my expected MPG going to go down to? Also same info for 4.10 gears. I have a Automatic BTW

3.)what do i need to re-cal the speedo? and if im going to buy a tuner to do this i might as well get one that can do more, whats a good tuner for the S197-V6 Mustang

4.) The people that have done this is their any snag up areas you came across and if so best solution around them?

Thanks

Strawdog
strawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: 7.5 to 8.8 rearend swap questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawdog View Post
Ok im going to swap out my 7.5 rearend to a GT 8.8 takeoff (3.73gears). I have a 2006-V6-Auto. My questions are:
1.) is this a direct swap out like im hearing? do i need anything else? i.e. will everything bolt up i dont need something for the driveshaft to bolt up ext...

As far as i know its a direct swap.

2.) What will my crusing RPM change to lets say at 75mph with 3.73 and whats my expected MPG going to go down to? Also same info for 4.10 gears. I have a Automatic BTW

i would say close to 3 grand with the over drive on

3.)what do i need to re-cal the speedo? and if im going to buy a tuner to do this i might as well get one that can do more, whats a good tuner for the S197-V6 Mustang

first of all a GOOD compatant tuner lol just have to tell the trany that you have 4:10 gears and the odometer should adjust itself, also your shifts should be perfect. if you do not you will find it will shift up too fast and hold the shifts on downshifts for too long.

4.) The people that have done this is their any snag up areas you came across and if so best solution around them?

didnt swap my rear end, wish i had, but people i know who have done it have NO problem, they are actually better off then me with my 7.5.

Thanks

Strawdog
good luck my freind, im sure you will get better advice from people on here, im not half as knowledgeable as them.
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Questions:
1.) Is this a direct swap out like im hearing? do i need anything else? i.e. will everything bolt up I dont need something for the driveshaft to bolt up ext...

I have yet to hear of a 05+ person doing this but I am sure it is not that difficult as its the same chassis as the GT, you will need a few parts no doubt, you should check ABS to see if there are any changes in the systems V6 vs GT and also the panhard bar and brackets.

Going from 3.73:1 to 3.27:1 (3.XX turns of the driveshaft = 1 full tire rotation) you are raising the rear tire turning percentage by about 12 percent (touch more) so your speedometer will be off 12 percent (it will read to fast, and will also run the odometer to fast). Check with VMP tuning he does good work and especially if its an auto. With 4.10s it will be even farther off. The gas mileage on the highway will go down with 3.73s about 2.5 mpg, about 3-3.5 with 4.10s. In the city it will go up a little bit, maybe 1-2 mpg~

A hand held tuner will fix the speedometer, get a custom tune as well and do this. I would get a tune that they will update as you do more mods. Get it from a GOOD tune business, VMP tuning does good work with V6s.

Ive never done this swap or heard of it but I am sure its not that bad.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

i dont know but this web site has some info this it the way i think i'll go (except have you seen the 2010 GT permium i did at the dealership yesterday OMG good looking car) i might stop moding and by new!!!!!

GT 8.8 Rear Axle Assembly 2005-2007 w/ABS w/Trac-Loc

These are takeoff rear axle assemblies from new 06/07 GT's. They were removed from cars with less than 20 miles on them. This rear axle has the "Cobra Pinion Flange" that will allow direct bolt on for a Mustang V6 '05-'08. If your buying it for a GT please let us know. V6 Mustang Stuff | V6 Mustang Performance Parts and Accessories
Billet fuel door, Daiblo 91 Tune, Xenon ram air hood scoop, MAC performance direct fit headers, 3" 304 SS Dual exhaust, hood pin appearance kit, Red l.E.D. underbody lights, Boy Racer rear wing, Helix power tower plus Throttle body spacer, ventvisor deflector, Aeroform chin spoiler, SVT 18" 9.5 45/255 frount SVT 18" 9.5 40/285 rear trire , GTO rear blackout kit, OEM rear splash guards, Steeda CAI, 8.8 rear axle with 3.73.1 LSD, killer Glass Hose, Smoked Window Louvers by GT Styling 35% Tenting on rear and side windows.
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #5

I was looking at the SCT3x tuner, just reading that alot of people are using them here, with good results I will eventually be adding a Procharger(8-10psi) and a tuner will probably come in handy. Im just getting my supporting mods mapped out right now. Im suprised that no on has done a 05+ with all the takeoff GT 8.8's out their. I may have to keep doing my homework to see what all is needed. I hate to jump into this with out some info on how it would go or parts needed. From what you gave me 3.73 with a Tlok is the way i want to go, 4.10's just wont let me maintain alittle bit of the daily driver.

-off topic but anyone know if GT calipers will go on the v6 front side and use gt disc's. I see that their is a adapter out their to use the stock calipers with GT disc's, but again theirs takeoff GT calipers and discs around.

Thanks

Strawdog
strawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawdog View Post
I was looking at the SCT3x tuner, just reading that alot of people are using them here, with good results I will eventually be adding a Procharger(8-10psi) and a tuner will probably come in handy. Im just getting my supporting mods mapped out right now. Im suprised that no on has done a 05+ with all the takeoff GT 8.8's out their. I may have to keep doing my homework to see what all is needed. I hate to jump into this with out some info on how it would go or parts needed. From what you gave me 3.73 with a Tlok is the way i want to go, 4.10's just wont let me maintain alittle bit of the daily driver.

-off topic but anyone know if GT calipers will go on the v6 front side and use gt disc's. I see that their is a adapter out their to use the stock calipers with GT disc's, but again theirs takeoff GT calipers and discs around.

Thanks

Strawdog
ok here u go... first off gt brake and rotors will go on a v6 if you have 17 inch or larger wheels... the v6 rotors are 11.4 dia and the gt rotors are 12.4 dia. it is a direct bolt up .. u need the dust shields and adapter... ck out takeoff parts .com for parts
next subjuct.. 8.8 rear end.... i did it to my car it takes about 4 hrs in the garages... u need some jack stands, torq whench, both inch pounds and pounds... u will need some new bolts and nuts.. also you may need to change the pinoin flanges because the driveshaft on the gt are differnt i have a 5 speed manuel transmission.. not sure if the auto have differnt one ????? u will need a way to lift the rear end.. and an extra pair of hand help ... best of luck
gt front sway bar and strut tower bracket,
8 auto meter electric guages
colorado pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #7

Region: Arizona

I swapped my 7.5 with a 8.8 takeoff with 3.73 gears on my 2007 V6 5-speed. The swap was real simple. The one I bought came with the proper flange for the driveline. That's the only thing that needs to be changed is the flange. The brakes, shocks, swaybar,... from the 7.5 bolted right on. I do a combination of city, freeway and country road driving and so far my gas mileage has been 2-3 mpg better. In order for the speedo and odometer to be correct the computer needs to be updated. I haven't done that yet, just did some calculations and know what speed I'm going based upon RPM.

It's a simple change just need some jack stands and a floor jack or a couple strong friends to help you put it in.
Son's - 2003 V6 4.3L Stroker with lots of goodies,
1965 Dragcar in progress,
1965 Restomod in progress
mxw1090 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang