Mustang Evolution Forum banner

best cold air intake for 99 v6 auto

Tags
cai
5K views 46 replies 13 participants last post by  dr10129 
#1 ·
I just got my stang a few weeks ago. its a 99 auto v6. I'd like to do some mods, I thought I put in a cia first. I've been looking at the K&N one but I'm not sure if its true Cold Air, what would u guys suggest being the best cia for my car?
Thx

#2 ·
There really isn't that big of a difference in cold air...dangit, rellik needs to come in here so I can get you the link to his tech article on this. Welcome to the site BTW

#4 ·
And if you're wanting to get into modding your car, I'd do CAI, exhaust, UD pulleys, and gears first. But in doing gears you'll also need a chip. So...they pretty much get more expensive the more way up.

#5 ·
I was just waiting on you to post BTW..saw ya sign up and was waiting to see what your first post was gonna be. Feel free to post any questions ya go and we'll answer them as soon as we can man.

#7 ·
Hehe..I kinda whoring this thread..sorry. I'm bored, and was ready to answer a question so I feel needed once again.

#10 · (Edited)
thx guys I appreciate it. So what do u think personally. The K&N Generation II FIPK, BKK, MAC, or others. Also I've been looking around and I hear that the GT's take off Exhaust with like a H or x pipe is a good upgrade, my brother knows a guy that is going a lot of upgradings on his gt and has the old exhaust laying around but he said it has 6 cats.... thats sounds restrictive as hell and I don't remember seeing 6 cats on take offs on sites. got any clue?

#11 ·
If it's take off's it'll have 4 cats, but you really only need it from the H-pipe back. Cuz the GT h-pipe won't bolt up to yours. I have Mach 1 exhaust and there's several guys on here with GT takeoff exhaust.

#12 · (Edited)
Hmmm... the guy said its got 6 cats, I'll see if he can send me a pic. Hes been working on mustangs for like 12 years now so hes knows what hes talking about but ya... 6 cats didn't seem right to me. I dunno I'll just have to see it. oh ya. its a 2004 GT I beleive if that matters. oh and what do u think about the CAI. the K&N, BBK, MAC, or others? I know people said ebay. but are theres any benifits to the others, like on that link you posted didn't say anything about the K&N just said that there was one.

#13 ·
The only thing that will really make a difference on a cold air intake is if it has alot of 90 degree bends or if the inside walls aren't smooth, such as it is with the stock intake. I personally don't have a cold air intake...but that's because I didn't even find out about them till after I had already bought a 50 dollar K&N filter.

#18 ·
Yea stay the hell away from rpmoutlet, they boned me over as well as a couple people from this site. Stick with the site sponsors and you'll be good.

I get my stuff from v6mustangstuff.com, ebaymotors.com, rdmotorsport.com, and mustangtuning.com.

There are others, look around for some good deals and ask here if the site is ok to go with, chances are someone will know.

#21 ·
dr10129 said:
what kind of shape is the FIPK 2 in? and could u send me some pics of it and let me know what u want for it plz. Thx guys. ya... I don't want to get ripped. I'll check those sites out and look around more.
Hre is some straight up advice. Do not believe advertised hype. Do not waste money on a Throttle Body for your car. Your T/B is more than enough for even a modded engine.

I would also as suggested by a Ebay CAI. The fact is they will do the same job but your wallet will thank you later.

#24 ·
dr10129 said:
Hmmm... the guy said its got 6 cats, I'll see if he can send me a pic. Hes been working on mustangs for like 12 years now so hes knows what hes talking about but ya... 6 cats didn't seem right to me. I dunno I'll just have to see it. oh ya. its a 2004 GT I beleive if that matters. oh and what do u think about the CAI. the K&N, BBK, MAC, or others? I know people said ebay. but are theres any benifits to the others, like on that link you posted didn't say anything about the K&N just said that there was one.
2004's only have 4 cats, 96-98 have 6 cats

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.