V6 H Pipe - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
V6 H Pipe

I am going to be making a trip to the local pick-n-pull soon and I wanted to know if a stock H-Pipe from a GT will fit on my V6. Is there any cutting needed or will this just bolt right up?
a3705872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227
Re: V6 H Pipe

I dont think it will. it be easier to go to a muffler shop and have them make you one
Old 06-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I think it would be cheaper to pick up a used H Pipe and install myself, but need to know if there is any type of cutting. If there is cutting involved then I would rather go to the muffler shop. I have a SN-95 mustang so I am not sure if an H-Pipe from a GT would fit a V6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Did some reasearch and found some info on another V6 Forum. The Stock H-Pipe for a GT will not fit a V6 with out modification. So its gonna have to hacked up and/or have extra pipe made to get it to fit.

Just think about whats involved; you have go to a wreaking yard, pay to get in. find a GT. Spend a couple of hours with a hack saw to cut it off your self . pay like 50 bucks for it. take the H-Pipe to a muffler shop anyways and have pipe made / bent to get the damn thing to work. Thats just way to much of a hassel

I got my X-Pipe made and installed with my GT exhaust for 150 bucks.

Like I said. its easier to get one made at a muffler shop
Old 06-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Why do want the h-pipe? We have even firing engines so the h isn't exactly necessary. When one cylinder fires, a cylinder from the opposite bank fires next. It might keep the tone of the exhaust a little bit deeper, but that's probably about it.

There is an adapter made by pacesetter that you can buy that will allow you to bolt any GT catback up, but I would find it easier to just have the shop fab one or bring an
x-pipe in when doing the exhaust. Either way there is cutting or welding involved.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Why do want the h-pipe? We have even firing engines so the h isn't exactly necessary. When one cylinder fires, a cylinder from the opposite bank fires next. It might keep the tone of the exhaust a little bit deeper, but that's probably about it.

There is an adapter made by pacesetter that you can buy that will allow you to bolt any GT catback up, but I would find it easier to just have the shop fab one or bring an
x-pipe in when doing the exhaust. Either way there is cutting or welding involved.
He speaks the truth !!!! H or X pipe is not needed for the V6 Just go true duals

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yea it wont work, you can buy an adapter and have your Y pipe section cut off (just where the two pipes merge) and have the adapter welded on. Then you can bolt up any GT catback to your car.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I think I will have a muffler shop cut after the cats and make an H pipe adapter. I know the V6 is an even fire engine but I want a deeper tone. I don't want to go with a raspy X pipe. IMHO I don't like the X pipe sound except for on GT's. I wanted to with a MAC GT exhaust but I don't want any drone. I have Flowmaster 40 and the drone is insane. Any help on how to eliminate the drone but not lose any sound?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well, dumping the exhaust either right after the mufflers or just after the axle will give you a deeper sound. I think attaching turndown pipes right off the mufflers will give the deepest sound. This way is also nice since you won't need more piping, and you can keep the stock bumper. Usually an exhaust setup with tips out back looks better with the GT bumper with the cutouts. I've heard this method on a v6 and a 95 GT. Both did flow 40's and did sound deeper.

As far as drone, I'm not sure on that one. Usually that's just the way the system is...maybe check your sytem and make sure it's tightened up all the way. Probably just a disadvantage of missing 2 cylinders

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 06-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

low tone mufflers will be the only way to make the v6 sound good down low AND up top. With a catback with free flowing mufflers it will sound good down low but above 2500 rpms it gets buzzy if you will.

You could give a stock GT take off catback a try, see how you like it. If you like it then problem solved, if not them move to a free flowing catback. Keep the pipe at 2.25 inches no bigger.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yah that's the thing to remember. A lot of the catback systems made by companies come in 2.5inch piping. You lose a tad bit of backpressure, which probably results in a slight loss of torque.

If you have a shop custom fab your exhaust, use 2.25inch like Spec said. The GT take off is 2.25, so no problems there.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Can I go to the local pick and pull for a Stock GT exhaust? That sounds a whole lot easier. Also if I got with this setup, would it be better to dump the pipes at the rear axle or run it all the way to the rear bumper with this setup?
Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

GUYS SORRY TO DO THIS - BUT I NEED HELP!

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t129664/

THIS WILL ALSO HELP THIS POST, AS FAR AS I KNOW... THE SYSTEM LINKED ON MY POST DOESNT NEED ANY CUTTING.

HELP!
CHILE10_STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3705872 View Post
Can I go to the local pick and pull for a Stock GT exhaust? That sounds a whole lot easier. Also if I got with this setup, would it be better to dump the pipes at the rear axle or run it all the way to the rear bumper with this setup?
Yah, you should be able to find one on a GT no problem, you may even get lucky and the GT will have aftermarket mufflers in it. If you can't find one, people are often selling their stock setup once they upgrade. It's up to you on whether you dump it or run it all the way out. IMPO if I ran it all the way to the tips, I'd eventually get a GT bumper with the cutouts. I think it looks way better than just being ran under the stock bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILE10_STANG View Post
GUYS SORRY TO DO THIS - BUT I NEED HELP!

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t129664/

THIS WILL ALSO HELP THIS POST, AS FAR AS I KNOW... THE SYSTEM LINKED ON MY POST DOESNT NEED ANY CUTTING.

HELP!
That pypes exhaust system "should" bolt right up to the headers, and I say should because they always don't. Sometimes the Pypes brand don't fit correctly and require cutting and welding for proper fitment. Mine needed about 2 inches cut off to fit properly...wasn't a big deal for me, but it didn't just "bolt" right up like they advertised. Overall, the beast system is nice. It comes with everything from the cats to the tips, and it's really not a bad price. I like the sound of Pypes, but that is a personal preference. All in all, do some research, listen to some sound clips of different brands of exhaust...if you like the pypes sound, then go for it!

Old 06-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think I will have a muffler shop cut after the cats and make an H pipe adapter. I know the V6 is an even fire engine but I want a deeper tone. I don't want to go with a raspy X pipe. IMHO I don't like the X pipe sound except for on GT's. I wanted to with a MAC GT exhaust but I don't want any drone. I have Flowmaster 40 and the drone is insane. Any help on how to eliminate the drone but not lose any sound?
I have an X-Pipe and and my car doesnt have rasp sound

Old 06-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

OK, I listened to some You tube videos of some V6 mustang with the GT takeoff exhaust for the SN-95. I LOVE THE SOUND! I think that is what I will go with. 1 question. I want a deep sound so I should go with an H-pipe, but will having straight pipes really make that big of a difference?
Old 06-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Not really, most of the time the GT take off catback doesn't come with the h-pipe, so have the shop cut the stock y-pipe out and have them weld in two separate pipes (divorced, meaning they don't connect) to the cats, in place. Our even firing engines don't need an h-pipe, so separate pipes will suffice.
This site give you a good idea of how to have the takeoff exhaust done:

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/pipes.htm

The deepest sounding v6 i've heard were the ones with the exhaust dumped, with turndowns either right after the mufflers or just after the axle. But if you like the look of the tips out the back, then do that as well, it will still sound good.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I am not having my luck finding a GT exhaust take off for the SN-95 on the web. Just finding lots of S-197 exhaust. I posted an ad on Craigslist looking for one. I don't think its going to be very easy to take one off at the junkyard. Anyone know if a muffler shop would save these system for people like me?
Old 06-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am not having my luck finding a GT exhaust take off for the SN-95 on the web. Just finding lots of S-197 exhaust. I posted an ad on Craigslist looking for one. I don't think its going to be very easy to take one off at the junkyard. Anyone know if a muffler shop would save these system for people like me?
Yah, back when the 99-04 stangs were in the spotlight, you could find them everywhere. As far as the takeoff, you'd have to check with the shops near you. I doubt it though. You could always have the shop make you a custom system. Just have them cut the y-pipe and start the piping there. They can weld in mufflers they use or you could probably bring in ones you prefer. They could dump it right after the mufflers, or run it all the way to the back with tips. Depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

Then there's the catback option. This "bolt on" system bolts right up to the y-pipe. Flowmaster, pypes, magnaflow, borla, they all make one. Or you could get a GT catback and have the shop weld in two divorced pipes to the cats, again removing the y-pipe.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Yah, back when the 99-04 stangs were in the spotlight, you could find them everywhere. As far as the takeoff, you'd have to check with the shops near you. I doubt it though. You could always have the shop make you a custom system. Just have them cut the y-pipe and start the piping there. They can weld in mufflers they use or you could probably bring in ones you prefer. They could dump it right after the mufflers, or run it all the way to the back with tips. Depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

Then there's the catback option. This "bolt on" system bolts right up to the y-pipe. Flowmaster, pypes, magnaflow, borla, they all make one. Or you could get a GT catback and have the shop weld in two divorced pipes to the cats, again removing the y-pipe.

I think I will get divorced pipes and then put 2 mufflers and dump them at the rear axle. I am gonna keep the pipe at 2.25 all the way. I am thinking about Flowmaster 40's for the mufflers but I am open to suggestions for the V6. Any thoughts on deep sounding muffler?
Old 06-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think I will get divorced pipes and then put 2 mufflers and dump them at the rear axle. I am gonna keep the pipe at 2.25 all the way. I am thinking about Flowmaster 40's for the mufflers but I am open to suggestions for the V6. Any thoughts on deep sounding muffler?
Yah that's the way to go. Keeping the piping at 2.25 will prevent any loss of torque that is normally lost with a 2.5inch system.

A lot of people use the Flowmaster 40's. I've heard that sometimes the super 40/44's sound decent as well. I have the pypes street pros and really do like them, but they're not deep higher up. At idle and at low rpms they are, but not higher than 2200, more of a exotic race tone. Cold start is loud and deep though. People have thought mine was a v8 after hearing it on the road...so idk, it's up to you in the end.

This is the best flowmaster 40 sound clip I've heard yet, and he has longtubes.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

This is probably the best way to have a nice sounding v6...a good, lopey cam

and even past 2k i bet it gets pretty high pitched

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

« I really have no idea!?! | Battery light? »