Brake Problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to LSUstang
Brake Problems

I have an '01 vert with some braking issues. When the car is off and you pump the brakes, they get hard. But when I start the car the pedal goes to the floor almost instantly... it will barely stop the car.
Its not the pads. I changed the vacuum booster and then the master cylinder hoping it would solve the problem... but it is still exactly the same.

What should I do?

-2004 Mach 1 "Natasha"- JL Audio W6 w/ custom box, 8000K HIDs, Sequential signals, StangHi tune, Borla Stingers with catted X, deck lid & lower valence, C&L intake package, H&R Super Sports
-2001 White Vert V6- Sold
LSUstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: Brake Problems

sounds like air in the lines. Did you bleed the master cylinder after you put it on? then blead the brakes real good? No lines leaking? Very small pin holes or leaking calipers could let the brakes pump up with the car off, but then when you apply the vacuum assist there is enough pressure to leak.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I did bleed the master cylinder. Due to me having to go to work, I was not able to get around to bleeding the lines. I am pretty sure there is no leaking in the lines. So it might be air in the lines. You are the second person to tell me that. God I hope bleeding the lines fixes it.
The problem arose about a week ago out of no where. I have not done any brake work for 6 months.

-2004 Mach 1 "Natasha"- JL Audio W6 w/ custom box, 8000K HIDs, Sequential signals, StangHi tune, Borla Stingers with catted X, deck lid & lower valence, C&L intake package, H&R Super Sports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Does your car have ABS by chance?
Old 06-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yes it does. It also has traction control.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

just showing up all of a sudden is kind of odd without having a leak. But its possible the master cylinder went out. since you changed that, it should just be air in the lines. Or an abs issue if you have it. Start with bleeding the brakes though.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The old reservoir was loose on the old master cylinder. So I think maybe thats how air got into the lines. I have to go to work... so I can't bleed till tom.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You need to re-bleed the master cylinder. Then starting bleeding the brake lines. You always want to start farthest away from the master cylinder and work your way to the closest. Therefore bleed the lines in this order: Pass Rear, Driver Rear, Pass Front, & Driver Front. After you have bled them as best you can. I would take it down the street and cycle the ABS pump by making quite a few hard stops that initiate ABS. That will work any air out of the ABS pump. If you still have any issues after that I would work on bleeding the lines again as the air in the pump may be in the lines, but all should be well after the pump cycles.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

My car did something similar and it ended up being the abs pump. But I would start with bleeding the lines.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse

That actually sounds like it could be a bad master cylinder too. When you hit the brakes, does it just go all the way to the floor all at once or does it go down some of the way, and then creep to the floor? Usually a bad master cylinder will do the creep down slowly way. The other option is a leak in the brake power booster. Is there any brake fluid running down the booster from the rear of the master cylinder?
Also, if the accumulator on the ABS pump is stuck open then that could cause a similar problem, but I don't think it would let you pump up the brakes with the car off...
A bad power booster might make a hissing or sucking noise when you apply the brake pedal with the engine running.
Hope some of that helps.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang