I really have no idea!?! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #1

I really have no idea!?!

So I have a 2001 Stang (V6 5speed manual).....took it in because of this "rattle" (which I thought was valve rattle)....ok so I'm not a mechanic, and clearly have no idea! So took it in to the shop again....anyways, long story short, $5000 later, it's burnt up wires causing a misfire and catcon is gone.

Burnt up wires were replaced, and now needing advice on catcon issues. Being that times are hard, money is tight, how soon does this repair need to be done? Will fuel additives help at all? I know the rattle won't go away until the catcon is replaced....but in the meantime, what should I do?
RavenLox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: I really have no idea!?!

took me about 5 min to figure out what a catcon was If its running ok now you've got a little time. I've seen them last for years once they break loose and start rattling. But i've also had a cougar that lasted about 6 days before it plugged up the exhaust and quit running. Prob not what you wanted to hear but its a crap shoot trying guess how long it will last. Just keep a close eye (ear) on how your car runs and drives. It will start getting worse idle, different sound, and acceleration will diminish.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #3

Thanks! Yeah...it was running like crap on wheels before....hence the many shop visits. Every time I took it in, they had some other lame excuse as to the mystery rattle. After the last visit in March....they told me it was the A/C compressor.....Ok like I said, I'm not a mechanic, but I also did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

I took it to a different shop, and they told me it was the catalytic converter.....sorry about the "catcon" term....it's what I always heard

I'll keep my eyes and ears open... it seems to be ok for now. But who knows. In the meantime, I'll shop around for a good mechanic for a decent price. Of course that could take longer than the catcon lasts LOL!

If it does happen to crap out on me.....is this even more serious than just replacing the catcon now? Would that mean replacing the entire exhaust system?

Sorry...I have so many questions....I just want to really understand everything about my car. I feel lost.

.......It's been rattling since....October/November I think. I took at trip in it from South Florida to South Carolina/North Carolina and back, came back and noticed the rattle in early November. It's been ongoing since then with many shop visits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Usually when it clogs up its right at the back of the converter. Meaning you shouldn't have to do anything but replace the y-pipe. Stock part around me is about $550 and labor would prob be anywhere between 80-200. You could always change to dual exhaust when it goes out. Catted 1999 - 2004 Mustang SLP X-Pipe or depending on where you live and emission laws Pypes 409 Stainless Steel Off-Road X-Pipe (99-04 V6) at AmericanMuscle and then get a GT take off or any GT cat back system. Just some thoughts.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:08 PM   #5

I'm not sure what the laws are in Florida...I'm sure not too terribly strict, seeing what I see on the roads here.

Anyway! Thanks for the tip....I'll look into it pronto.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

depending on where you live and emission laws Take the pipe apart behind the converter drive a rod/crow bar in, break up the honey cone until theres a hole all the way through start up your engine blow all of the crap out bolt it back and problem solved. its worked for me before.
Billet fuel door, Daiblo 91 Tune, Xenon ram air hood scoop, MAC performance direct fit headers, 3" 304 SS Dual exhaust, hood pin appearance kit, Red l.E.D. underbody lights, Boy Racer rear wing, Helix power tower plus Throttle body spacer, ventvisor deflector, Aeroform chin spoiler, SVT 18" 9.5 45/255 frount SVT 18" 9.5 40/285 rear trire , GTO rear blackout kit, OEM rear splash guards, Steeda CAI, 8.8 rear axle with 3.73.1 LSD, killer Glass Hose, Smoked Window Louvers by GT Styling 35% Tenting on rear and side windows.
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you can buy replacement cat's and have them cut/replaced for not much money. Installation will probably run 100 bucks~ you have two resonators and two cats fyi.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
you can buy replacement cat's and have them cut/replaced for not much money. Installation will probably run 100 bucks~ you have two resonators and two cats fyi.
It's almost worth going to an aftermarket midpipe!
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #9

Thanks everyone! I've gotten some great information from you all. I'm taking it all in. Learning a lot here. Thanks again.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse

OOOOHhhhh.... Catalytic converter.... Now I get it...
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

the "catcon" got me too. If it is just the exhaust, your problem is as simple as replacing the midpipe. That shouldn't be very expensive, especially if you can find one used, which shouldn't be an issue. Since you aren't very mechanically inclined, find a decent muffler shop, and bring the midpipe to them and ask them what they would charge. Since they have to undo/redo 3 compression fittings and then clip in the o2 sensors, it shouldn't run you more than $25-$30 to install it. You don't need to have it welded in... the compression fittings should do just fine.

The exhaust shop up here charges me basically $20 every time I come in. I had them weld up the compression straps on my offroad x-pipe and that was $20, as was cutting off my exhaust hangers and rewelding them in the correct position. Because this job is very simple, any more than the minimum lift fee (some shops charge a minimum to lift the car up) is pushing it.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #12

Thanks jimmy_beaner.....I'll give this a shot.

On a side note.....now it's started this jerking while driving. It's almost as if it wants to stall out, or acting like it's not getting any power...just for a split second. At times it'll do it several times in one driving session, other times it never does it. Any ideas? I use the highest octane fuel.....change oil/filter regularly (switched to synthetic late last year) Had a tune up recently.....could this have anything to do with damaged lifters? or valves?

God I need to go to auto mechanics school! With the money I've been pouring into this thing, I could have graduated already. LOL! Then I'd just fix everything myself.

Happy Father's Day to everyone....hope you all enjoy your day.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenLox View Post
Thanks jimmy_beaner.....I'll give this a shot.

On a side note.....now it's started this jerking while driving. It's almost as if it wants to stall out, or acting like it's not getting any power...just for a split second. At times it'll do it several times in one driving session, other times it never does it. Any ideas? I use the highest octane fuel.....change oil/filter regularly (switched to synthetic late last year) Had a tune up recently.....could this have anything to do with damaged lifters? or valves?

God I need to go to auto mechanics school! With the money I've been pouring into this thing, I could have graduated already. LOL! Then I'd just fix everything myself.

Happy Father's Day to everyone....hope you all enjoy your day.
Some of us are youngins so the only celebrating we have is with our dad's.

Is your car throwing any codes perhaps? Some times, stalling issues, or hesitation issues or lack of power issues are caused by vacuum leaks. They can be hard to find, especially if you don't know much about the car. But it basically allows in extra air (air the car doesn't know is getting in) which creates issues for your car because it makes the car run lean (more air than optimal for combustion (air to fuel ratio)). Sadly, you may have more than 1 vacuum leak at a time as well.

My car was having big time power issues where (even being a GT with a clutch drop) it didn't want to peel out... in the rain. All of my issues at the time: Bad/Malfunctioning Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF), 2 ignition coils malfunctioning (so the car ran on 6 of 8 cylinders), and 2 big vacuum leaks. I'm still amazed the car RAN looking back at it. However, it did sound like it had a wicked set of cams

So, you may be having more than just one issue. Are you throwing any check engine light codes? If you have your service engine soon light on, run to AutoZone and have them run the codes for you. Write down the code (for example: P0301). Don't write down what they tell you it means. It's much more informative to have the code. We can help you more from there

Hunting down gremlins can be hard... don't replace parts you know aren't bad, as that gets damn expensive.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 06-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #14

Oh good lord! If it wasn't enough already! Now my A/C went complete dead. This is truely becoming a nightmare.

Most certainly running to AutoZone for a code test....I'll let everyone know what they say. I'm pulling my hair out at this point.

The MAF was replaced in January 2009.....
Old 06-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenLox View Post
Oh good lord! If it wasn't enough already! Now my A/C went complete dead. This is truely becoming a nightmare.

Most certainly running to AutoZone for a code test....I'll let everyone know what they say. I'm pulling my hair out at this point.

The MAF was replaced in January 2009.....
AC could be several things. The system could be low on coolant (R134-A), the system could have a leak (also making it low on coolant). The AC compressor could be shot, the clutch may not be functioning. Sounds like you're having some issues... I wish the car were here to mess around with. It's like a puzzle haha

Old 06-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #16

Like I've said before...I really am not mechanically inclined....but after cranking it up, taking a look.....it seems the clutch isn't moving like it should. Coolant was added in March, it could have a leak which would make sense as to why it needs to be done so often. I'll try to post a pic either here or in my albums ....have a look....

If I can get this video I just took uploaded somewhere....I'll post a link to that as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang