Spring install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2003, 11:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Spring install

Ok, I went to get the car saefty inspected today, and just casually asked how much it would be to install springs. Now before you start flaming and shouting that I could do it myself, I just really don't have the time right now. I'm going to summer school, working as a research asst., and working on my senior thesis. And taking care of yard work, sick puppy and everything else. So, there.

Anyways, I was quoted $400!!!!! What do I look stupid? They gave em this rap about Mustangs being very difficult and it was like a 4 hr job and ####.

They also told me that with any drop I would have to have CC Plates. Even for a 1 1/4 in drop. Any validity to this?

I've read here, there, and everywhere that I can go w/ C springs and NOT need CC Plates. I don't want to get the springs on and then find out my alignment is all FUBAR. Do I need them or not?

BTW, I will be ordering my C springs and making time to install them myself now. Thanks to any input on the CC Plate question.
2000 Black 5-Speed: Steeda Tri-Ax, UD Pulley, Strut Brace, Mac CAI, MAC Exhaust, 17" Torque Thrust Wheels, FMS C-Springs, JBA 9mm Wires, Cobra leather seats, bumper inserts, front end cover, Pioneer speakers, silver dash bezel, shift bezel, chrome knobs, door locks, leather shift knob, 35% tint
aggiesarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2003, 11:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

P.S. due to financial constraints I plan on installing Tokicos next month, but want to go ahead and do the springs now...will it ride alright with my stock shocks/struts until I get the Tokico's in?
2000 Black 5-Speed: Steeda Tri-Ax, UD Pulley, Strut Brace, Mac CAI, MAC Exhaust, 17" Torque Thrust Wheels, FMS C-Springs, JBA 9mm Wires, Cobra leather seats, bumper inserts, front end cover, Pioneer speakers, silver dash bezel, shift bezel, chrome knobs, door locks, leather shift knob, 35% tint
Old 08-04-2003, 11:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to slow232 Send a message via Yahoo to slow232
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiesarge
P.S. due to financial constraints I plan on installing Tokicos next month, but want to go ahead and do the springs now...will it ride alright with my stock shocks/struts until I get the Tokico's in?
You'll be ok with stock stuff for a while...
slow232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2003, 11:51 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
They are cranking your leg my friend. Mustangs are amoung the easiest to change. dont need a spring compression like on most cars. I think a reasonable charge would be somewhere betwwen 125 and 250 but 400 is like way out of line.

as far as the shocks and struts they will be fine for a while
Old 08-04-2003, 12:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

kewl tks. Yeah, I knew they were waaay out of line...just thought I'd share what some of the auto shops try to tell people.

And I for ssure won't need CC Plates w/ C-springs? I'm not cutting them or removing isolators....
Old 08-04-2003, 12:33 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

hey, youre going to the track this friday right? with austin (v6powerstang)? if you get there early with him.... i can leave early and i can help you install the springs while we're there. ill have all my tools and my jack and stands and stuff, so it should take an hour or two and we can get it lowered before you run. how does that sound?
Old 08-04-2003, 12:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

wow! that sounds like a plan to me! I let you know if I've gotten them by Friday. I'm still waiting on them to get here. Hey, if I put those on is it gonna throw off my alignment? I'll be alright to get back to C.S. right?
Old 08-04-2003, 01:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
i'll take the rear springs, ok? i'll let you fugger with aggiesarge's front springs.

yes, you'll be fine driving back to college station, but you'll need an alignment later.

i'll bring my jackstands too brandon anyways, and my tools. we need a place to put all of our crap though when we race! is anyone going to have a van or truck or something they are bringing? seriously, we need to find a place to stash out stuff.

it looks like i won't have class on that friday aggiesarge, how about we meet at/around the track maybe in a parking lot. why don't you email me and we can work a time? atrusmstng@hotmail.com i know i've given it to you more than once on another site. and if you have any worries about us taking your car about, i can vouch for brandon (monkey) and he can vouch for me, does that count? i crack myself up. oh and we both swapped out rear ends recently too.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:35 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

we can just throw everything in my car and trunk. that should be enough room. im usually the only one who ever brings tools and stuff, and it all fits in my car.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:51 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Wow good to see members working together helping each other out. I help with tech days in the local Mustang club(UMC) as a volunteer helping people with there cars
Old 08-04-2003, 04:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Cool. I'm excited and yeah I have complete confidence in you guys. If they're not in by Friday, then my roommie and I will do the install at our house. If that's the case, Austin you can stop by and hang out help or just drink beers! 8)

I ordered from Gefracing..I don't know how long it usually takes......
Old 08-05-2003, 07:27 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
FORD only charged me 120 for my old car to put springs on it, I put my own on my new car only took tad over an hour to do it. the rear only takes 2 bolts and BAM you got them done.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
FORD only charged me 120 for my old car to put springs on it, I put my own on my new car only took tad over an hour to do it. the rear only takes 2 bolts and BAM you got them done.
Cool. I'm not planning on cutting initially. I'm just gonna put them in and let them settle and see how I like it. I'm also not planning on leaving out the front isolators or anything....

How long does it usually take to settle?
Old 08-05-2003, 07:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

aaron,

do you have new front/rear spring isolators? it is highly recommended to prevent squeeking. when did you order the springs? UPS Ground takes several days from order placement. i'd offer to sell you my springs isolators since i'm converting to an IRS rear but until i know 100% i won't put them up for sale. if i know before friday about the IRS then i could part with the spring isolators. i have all four corners sitting in my closet now.

austin
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Where can you get new spring isolators?
Old 08-05-2003, 07:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm afraid they won't be here until after Friday....I ordered Mon morning. (Had to wait to get my GI Bill money).

But I remain hopeful...I've gotten stuff before in a few days....
Old 08-05-2003, 07:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

UPS 2 day air only costs about 50% more than regular ground shipping, may want to contact them if it's not already sent.

wow, this is good timing, i just talked to the IRS guy, and it looks like i won't be needing mine. i had no place to get mine locally, so i had them shipped. they cost me 26 and 28 (rear/front) total. if you want i will now sell them to you. they are top quality, i got the rears from www.maximummotorsports.com and the fronts from ebay.

it takes a day or two to settle so i have heard.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I'll take them. Thanks! So, $54 for the set?
Old 08-05-2003, 07:59 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

sure, thanks for asking the bare minimum bud. i'm kidding, of course. your offer of 74$ will be fine.

Old 08-05-2003, 08:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

e No, really, is $55 ok? Cash? Also, how will these spring isolators affect the drop? or is the advertised 1 1/4 ft and 3/4 rear already figured w/ spring isolators? Just curious...
Old 08-05-2003, 08:08 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Go ahead an cut the rear spring on 2000 you will get a 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 drop On my 98 I got 1.5 drop
Old 08-05-2003, 08:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I may cut them when I do the shocks and struts next month.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:17 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
e No, really, is $55 ok? Cash? Also, how will these spring isolators affect the drop? or is the advertised 1 1/4 ft and 3/4 rear already figured w/ spring isolators? Just curious...
yes, they will affect the drop. the stock rubber ones are thin and flimsy and probably already have a hole in them. these are about 1/6" thick where the spring contacts, but it could be as much as 1/5". you can put them in stock and then cut them later, or you can cut them partially and see how much more you need to cut them. i really don't think it matters. just make sure you write down how much you cut off of each one for your own reference's sake. i personally know two guys that are having to reinstall their springs with new isolators because they didn't replace them the first time, so i think you're doing the right thing. they are like little bushings or padding, however you want to look at it.

yeah 85$ is fine, you don't have to keep offering more, it's cool.

EDIT - on reading your last post, i'd suggest installing the springs now, then installing the shocks and struts followed by pulling the springs after a few days of driving with the new shocks/struts and cutting them one or more times to what you want.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

lmao! ro...tks! I'll try not to keep raising the price That's cool....I shoulda known better about the isolators..duh Well, I don't want the 4X4 look anymore, but ride is important...so yeah I'm gonna just put them in with the isolators and not cut them initially. Then next month when I get my Tokicos I can always cut the rears a little. Thanks for all the help! You're racking up a lot of free beers!
Old 08-05-2003, 08:22 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I'm also trying to avoid using CC plates. I'm on a budget and am dying to get T-lok and alum d/s.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:25 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lmao! ro...tks!
Mr. T sez: Quit wit dat jibba jabba!!!

and austin sez: you're a dork and i don't speak in abbreviations.

what drop do you want? like 1.25 front and 1.00 rear? or something more 'pimpin' like 1.50 on all four corners?

EDIT - it only takes me a couple beers without eating food recently to get buzzed and three to get tipsy, so i won't hurt your beer budget too bad. believe you me, i will take up on the beer! miller lights, 40's are good too.

my RA here in the dorm took all my beer cause i'm 20 and said if he caught me again it's HAMMERTIME aka Corps probation, MIP etc.

this is what i get for recruiting for the corps and a&m and wasting my freakin summer.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

ok....dork
...you going active duty after graduation? If so, all you'll talk in will be abbreviations!
Old 08-05-2003, 08:27 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

1 1/4 is fine...If the rear sets a little higher, then no biggie. right now my rear seems to sit lower than the front by quite a bit.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:31 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

so what is "ro tks"?

yes i plan to go active duty. armor is my preference, go figure, big cars that kill people.

maybe when i'm out i'll mod myself an abrahms

hmmmm your rear should be sky high on a v6... do you have dead bodies or heavy things in the trunk? we'll take a look friday to make sure your shocks and rear suspension are okey dokey.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:36 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

It could just be the way I always park on the side of my house...

Go Armor! I was in 1st AD for 2 yrs and loved it. I've thought about going back in sometimes and would want to go Armor. Just remember to listen to your NCOs

ro= right on
tks=thanks

When I was in San Antone...we used to have chat amongst all of the operators...kinda like a really expensive encrypted instant messenger...and everybody always talked in abbreviations.

ofl=out for lunch
ofs=out for smoke
brb=be right back
as1=wait a minute...busy
as5=wait for a while...gonna be a while
and a bunch more I can't think of off the top of my head
Old 08-05-2003, 08:39 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

i read the sentences and ignored the nerdy part.

i am very humble, i will depend on my NCO's a ton. that's how i learned about cars. believe it or not i was a little cocky about cars because i was stupid and didn't know what i was doing. i then realized i was a dumb fvck and learned some humility. kinda sad that learning about cars will play a key role in my decisions as a butter bar. i guess 4 years of PT and ROTC didn't hurt either of course.

Hooah.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang