Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Thinkin about S/C or Turbo.. but who isn't :p

5K views 43 replies 9 participants last post by  01mineralgrey6 
#1 ·
Okay fellas.. this summer im gettin my gears, tlok, chip, etc.

Next summer I'm goin for a big increase in hp. I'm thinking either a turbo or a supercharger. My first question is.. "Is 4.10s overkill on a superchargeed/turboed car? or should i go with 3.73s?" I don't want it to be too out of control and I still want it to be driver friendly. BTW, its an auto.

Okay what I was thinking is something that isn't a lot of power but a decent boost. I think 5psi might be too little and 9psi is more ideal. I'm not sure yet. I can get 3k-5k easily by working over the summer. I dont really race so I don't want this beast of a car that I can't drive around my neighborhood. However, horsepower numbers don't mean much to me. Instead, I like to look at quarter mile times. I want something 13-14.5 seconds.

Soooo.. I did some research and I was looking at that guy's turbo kit that is mentioned in a few other topics as well as info on the vortech supercharger. How much would these cost? Right now I got a stock engine and I'm not sure if I need to do anything about that to prepare for these?

#3 ·
232stang said:
yeah i was lookin at that. man how bad i want it.. *drools*

however...

Turbo headers = $ 630

Complete Turbo Piping Kit (Turbo headers, exhaust dump pipes, intercooler pipes) = $1800

Prices do not include shipping.

Extra parts that are needed and price estimates besides piping.

Brand New Garrett T3/T4 57 trim turbo off of Garrett Distributor (Supports 450 hp)= $520

Brand New Tial 38 MM wastegate = $220

Brand New Bosch BOV = $30

Brand New silicone hoses, T bolt clamps, vacuum hoses off HighTempSilicone.com= $150

Brand New oil feed and oil drain lines from Summitt = $80

Brand New K&N air filter, PCV catch can, Coating spray can, radiator catch can, reflective heat shields from Summit = $130

Total = $1130

Total with my complete Piping base turbo cost= $2930

So $2930 will get you a running setup with pipes already design to accept an intercooler that will bolt right in when you decide to upgrade in the future.

Optional Items

Brand New Spearco intercooler 18x8x3 inch core off Spearco Distributor= $360

Brand New Autometer boost gauge = $40

HKS BOV - $190

Optional Garrett T3/T04B 60-1, 62-1 turbo (Supports 600hp)(Recommend for forge bottom end built motors) $620

Total with boost gauge and intercooler and hks bov= $3490

Total with everything and Bigger turbo = $3590

thats a hell of a lot of money. i dont want that big turbo tho.. at least.. i dont think i do? im not sure how all this works and i dont necessarily know what i want. i think i want 9psi and no lag.. so the smaller turbo would work? that would need intercooled too, right? would i need any engine work to prep the engine for all this?

#20 ·
232stang said:
oh **** you want to run 9 psi? i would get both forged and fuel upgrades for that.
no no no.. i am just comparing my options right now so i can make the best economical decision. im very paranoid when it comes to big decisions like this. so far im leaning more towards...

4psi + complete kit
4.10 + Tlok + chip + 8.8 rear

the complete kit will probably cost near 3600 shipped (just an approx) plus 1000 for labor? not sure... just throwing out numbers.

the gears and whatnot will probably done first and that will probably cost around a grand.

i have to research the prices on the 8.8 rear and install prices and stuff.

after all this ill probably be done with performance.

geez.. so much money.. :disgust:

#22 ·
232stang said:
you can install yourself im sure of it.
eh.. are you sure? i thought the CAI was a bit tricky haha.

im not so sure if i said it in this thread but i said it before.. i know a mediocre amount about cars, turbos, superchargers, etc.. i know a lot of theory. however, when it comes to getting my hands dirty i lack experience. im all book knowledge and no experience knowledge.

#23 ·
wiarumas said:
eh.. are you sure? i thought the CAI was a bit tricky haha.

im not so sure if i said it in this thread but i said it before.. i know a mediocre amount about cars, turbos, superchargers, etc.. i know a lot of theory. however, when it comes to getting my hands dirty i lack experience. im all book knowledge and no experience knowledge.
http://www.members.aol.com/andylittleton/installation.htm
it tels you how to install.

#24 ·
yeah.. i guess it shouldnt be too big of a problem.

If you passed high school and take your time installing it you’ll have no problem doing it yourself. Everybody fears the unknown and turbochargers are very unknown to most.
i suppose that describes how it is for me right there. thanks for your help and whatnot.. ill let you know how things turn out this summer.

#25 ·
Personally I would save up and do it right... don't try to cut corners. Either go with the 4.2l and get forged internals or just buy forged rods and pistons and stay with the 3.8 crank. Then you don't have to worry about anything because in the process of replacing the rods and pistons you can get new headgaskets, check all your bearings... end you can go on and on to replace the heads and intakes and a cam.

But I would not run 9psi on your car if you can not afford to throw a rod

#26 ·
Brent said:
Personally I would save up and do it right... don't try to cut corners. Either go with the 4.2l and get forged internals or just buy forged rods and pistons and stay with the 3.8 crank. Then you don't have to worry about anything because in the process of replacing the rods and pistons you can get new headgaskets, check all your bearings... end you can go on and on to replace the heads and intakes and a cam.

But I would not run 9psi on your car if you can not afford to throw a rod
i dunno man. thats a lot of $$$ i dont have. im gonna get the rims first. then the gears, tlok, and chip. THEN i will work my ass off for the turbo. we'll see how much money i make and go from there according to my budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.