Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Rear end swap

4K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  STEVE 
#1 ·
Hey all, wondering how much it would cost to buy am 8.8 rear end with 3.73 gears and a t-lok already installed in it? What can I keep when I do this? What would I have to alter? how much would the average cost of an install on this be?

#2 ·
what year is your car? if you have a 94-98 you can possibly get one for about 800 dollars brand new, and u can swap in the axels from your 7.5 rear end. you can install the rear end yourself its not a hard task.
if you have a 99+ it will be hard to find an 8.8, in this case i suggest getting an auburn posi and 3.73's and have a good mechanic install thes in your stock 7.5 rear end.

#3 ·
if you have a pre 99 v6 you can get a complete rear end (minus needing your stock 7.5 inch rear end axle) for 725.00 with 3.73 gears installed from www.speedconcepts.net

install is very easy, this is the BEST Way to go for overall quality and function. You can sell the stock rear for a decent amount also.

dont build the 7.5 if you can help it.

#4 ·

lol...well I have a 2002 V6 with a 5-speed tranny. So, looks like I'll have to go with my 7.5 rear-end. Ok, I know you guys hate on the 7.5, but the car is still going to be my daily driver and I would only occaisonally take it to the track. So far I have a magnaflow bolt on exhaust and a CAI for performance mods. After the gears, all I plan on doing would b eunderdrive pullys...but thats about it. With that in mind, would my stock 7.5 rear end be enough?? Would I have to worry about breaking my rear-end? How much power can the 7.5 rear-end handle before replacing it? How much does a busted rear-end cost to fix? Would 4.10's be harder on a rear-end than 3.73's? I want 3.73's, but a guy in my area is selling a brand new set of 4.10's for a V6 for 95 bucks. ANy help would be appreicated.

#5 ·
if you plan to EVER go to the track you had best upgrade to an 8.8... I broke my 7.5 not even trying at the track on street tires, launching at 2200 rpms... trust me it may not go for as long as you own the car but one bad shock and BAM you have a broke tlok unit...

The cost to get an 8.8 is so low its VERY much worth it... if you have a 99 up there is a problem with length of the rear so you can either get spacers or buy a used 99+ gt rear end.

#6 ·
The 7.5's are kinda tempermental...sometimes they last forever, sometimes they just blow. 8.8's are just more reliable mostly.

#10 ·
Sublime782 said:
also, when you guys talk about breaking your rear end...what do you mean? What aprt of the rear? Also, what does repairs cost??
Most of the time...the gears in the rear end will break, and lock..and then you're screwed.

#12 ·
if you go with an auburn you may make her last, the gears are just as strong as a ford 9 inch its the tlok (spider gears) which are weak, get an auburn and you should have a pretty strong rear.

#13 ·
heh

OK, well, I'll tell you what I've done with my car and what i plan on doing to my car and you guys can tell me what you think. I have a boly on maganflow exhaust and an e-bay CAI. I plan on 3.73 gears, a t-lok, and later, underdrive pullies. With that in mind, would my 7.5 rear be ok for a daily driver and to take to the track every once in a while?

#14 ·
Sublime782 said:
OK, well, I'll tell you what I've done with my car and what i plan on doing to my car and you guys can tell me what you think. I have a boly on maganflow exhaust and an e-bay CAI. I plan on 3.73 gears, a t-lok, and later, underdrive pullies. With that in mind, would my 7.5 rear be ok for a daily driver and to take to the track every once in a while?
if you get an auburn diff it will be fine.

#15 ·
you will still take a risk, but if you go auburn and only take it to the track every now and then I think you will be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.