Clutch adjustment (2001 stang) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to cagedthought
Clutch adjustment (2001 stang)

Does anyone know how to adjust the throw (the play in the clutch)? I have a 2001 mustang and was wondering how to get to doing it.

thanks,
James
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2005, 08:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
nothing really you can do with the stock quadrant, but by getting a stedda quadrant cabel and fireall adjuster you can adjust.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
I'm selling one of those in the for sale section;

The only adjustment there is for the stock one is to put your foot under it and hook your toe on the underside of the clutch and pull it up, then push it all the way to the floor... It's in the manual.. It doesn't really do squat though. Get an aftermarket quadrant.

4.2 split port engine parts/torque converter/steeda parts
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2005, 12:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to cagedthought
Hey how can i buy this????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse
I'm selling one of those in the for sale section;

The only adjustment there is for the stock one is to put your foot under it and hook your toe on the underside of the clutch and pull it up, then push it all the way to the floor... It's in the manual.. It doesn't really do squat though. Get an aftermarket quadrant.

4.2 split port engine parts/torque converter/steeda parts
email me at garcia_james@hotmail.com so that i can purchase this .

is it easy to install

thanks,
james
Old 03-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
a quadrent and firewall adjuster is a double edged sword.... you NEED to keep a certian amount of tension on the cable to keep it from eating up the throw out bearing, stock this is usually WAY off.... if you stick a quadrent adn adjuster in your car and you want a low petal, then it will be a PITA the petal will flop up to the highest point and you will still have to raise your foot up high to get to it, however it will not grab till lower in the cable travel, this will eat up your throw out bearing also due to not keeping the right amount of tension on the cable.

you need to take out ALL the slack so you ONLY have a half inch of play before the clutch petal starts to slip car into neutral, just go down the road at 55mph (hold foot on gas at a constant amount) then push the clutch in, if you push it in a half an inch and the rpms start to jump up then your set, any less than this you need to back it off, any more than this you have to much.

this makes the petal EXTREMLY high... and you will need a maximummotorsport petal height adjuster for 20 bucks to basically move the petal stop down a little bit...

you can adjust the stock quadrent but it sucks... and wont keep the adjustment.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Nah, you can make your own spacers using large washers like I did. My clutch sits even with my brake pedal. All you need to do is use a large diameter spacer to keep the quadrant from allowing the pedal to flop. I still have the washers I used, and I'll throw those in too, if your interested.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Old 03-26-2005, 01:46 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
are you talking about putting a spacer where the petal stop it or what exactly?

for 20 bucks you can get the mm kit, but ive heard you have to mess with the electronic start button when you do this.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

you put one washer on one side of the quadrant to hit the pedal stop to prevent the pedal from just hanging there, then on the other side of the quadrant you put another washer of a different size to engage the switch that does things like, shut off the cruise when you hit the clutch or allow you to start the car. Hey... I have a digital camera now... Maybe tomorrow on my day off I can go get a picture of what I did.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang