Higher RPM's Due to Electrical Load? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-29-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Higher RPM's Due to Electrical Load?

Ok, put your thinking caps on.

I usually dont pop into electronics, but since a question arose, I've been wondering myself as the possible cause and or solution.

The electrical load on a car is never constant, it varies with lights being on, fans, your RPM's in relation to your spark plug firing speeds, your stereo system, ect.

My question to you all, will a higher amount of load cause your computer to increase the RPM's at idle to keep an adaquate charge output?

A few times, a question about Cold Air Induction mods would come up stating that the RPM's are higher at times. The only thing that I've found that were in common with most of them, was that they had either their heater on full blast, or their A/C on.

Would the heater core and the fan create enough of a load on an engine to make the RPM's raise higher than normal? I know the AC usually will increase the RPMs only because of the extra load it puts on the belt (the comptuer is attempting to keep the idle up with the extra load). Since electric motors are considered to be one of the highest electrical hogs in the electronics world, I would assume that COULD be a possibility.

Any ideas? Am I even in the right ballpark?

Thanks guys!
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2005, 06:16 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
idk, but on my Vic it has a high idle setting due to the power load it has. but on the stangs, i have no idea
Old 03-29-2005, 06:18 PM   #3

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
i don't know either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2005, 06:41 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I know when I run my subs full blast...my car idles higher. I'm also pulling about 1000 watts of constant power then...so that may have something to do with it. I'm gonna kill my alt, but that's ok, won't be my first to kill lol
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:15 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Hmm... I seemto have asked aquestion that NO ONE knows the real answer to.

I guess it was a good question then

Still waiting on logical answers.

Brad, your statement only strengthens my intreptation of the electrical load vs. RPM's.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:45 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
"Engine, gasoline, 4.6L overhead cam, SEFI V8, unique with Police Pursuit calibration including increased idle speed for improved charging system output and cooling"

"Alternator, heavy duty 135-amp maximum output, 82-amp at idle w/unique drive pulley for improved charging system" (https://www.fleet.ford.com/downloads...ice/police.pdf) so i still dont know. EDIT* thats on my 02 P71 Vic
Old 03-29-2005, 08:25 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
with the a/c example, the idle speed is increased, and a few other things change, such as in some cases, the timing will get retarded (in dodges, not sure about ford), and the electric fan will be kicked on if so equipped

with my cars, the more stuff i turn on, the car bogs, ive had cases where my 3.8 car actually stalled when i had the heat, my lights, and my sub on, but if i increased the idle myself, no problem

as we know, with electric motors, they have an effeciency range, an alternator is an electric motor, but that produces power, and even at idle, its out of its effeciency range, i believe even 120amp alts only put out 60amps at idle

as for the idle increase, i personally think its because when the idle drops because of the extra load, the EEC see's that, and increases the idle, only because it see's the dropping idle as something it needs to adjust, not sensing the electrical load, the car will strive to keep a certain idle, and any variation (within reason), it will try to compensate for, and thats just one of the cases
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:45 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
hmm ya learn something everyday.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:54 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
yes, it does.. your car is smarter than you think.. if it's reading an amount but its not within range, it'll do whatever it can to get back in that range.. that's why when you first flip your headlights on, your idle dips then readjusts... with much heavier loads it can definitely ramp the idle up..
Old 03-29-2005, 09:20 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I think my alt is going out..my headlights have been dimming while stopping here lately...like noticably
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

On most Fords here's how it works.

Often there is an idle speed adder when you flip the AC on, the computer will raise idle speed 50-75rpms. This is to get a little bit more power out of the alt (to run the engine fan for the condenser and to run the blower fan for the interior), the ac compressor works a little better at higher RPMs, and in some cases to make the engine run smoother with the increased load of the AC compressor.

Increasing load on the alternator does put more drag on the engine, but there is no seperate logic to account for this other than the computers built in ability to control idle speed. It uses a PID type algorithem to learn and adjust the amount of air (through the IAC valve) to keep the engine at a given idle speed. If your idle speed gets higher with a lot of electrical load then its just the computer overcompensating and adding too much air, over time it will learn back down to the normal idle speed.

The computer does try and compensate when the engine fan kicks on. The fan draws so much power (over 30 amps) that it will cause a noticeable dip in idle. There is an air adder (through the IAC valve) that adds in air whenever the computer commands the fan on, this is to keep the idle speed constant and prevent a large dip. You'll probably still feel it anyways to a small extent.
2006 F250 CC 4x4 6.0L 14.3 @ 93
2006 Mustang 4.0 M5 Vortech 13psi 395RWHP/374RWTQ wife's car
justin00stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:45 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Thank you gentlemen, you adaquately answered my question to a satisfactory degree

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang