1998 'stang needs ALL o2 sensors and rear differential replaced - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #1

1998 'stang needs ALL o2 sensors and rear differential replaced

Hi Everyone,

So my 1998 Mustang that has 145,000 miles on it just went into the repair shop .. and I was told that all the o2 sensors and the rear differential need replacing for a whopping $2400. I bought the car for $2500...

I know basically nothing about cars so could anyone help point me in the right direction for how to DIY? I have no idea how many o2 sensors there are and what the specifications are for the parts I need to buy. Thanks so much!
xxmustang98xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: 1998 'stang needs ALL o2 sensors and rear differential replaced

O2 Sensors are very easy to replace and are universal and can be picked up at nearly any auto parts store. As for the rear differential what is wrong with it?

You can usually go to a PepBoys or Autozone and have them check the engine codes (a.k.a. CEL (Check Engine Lights) or M.I.L. (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)) for free. You can then write them down, go home and check them to have a better idea of what is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #3

They said that the rear differential had just suffered a lot of wear and tear so it is about to fall off..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

You can replace all of the O2's for about $200 in parts on your own. They just unscrew from your exhaust pipe and plug in to a specific plug that is obvious. You can do that on your own no problem.

The rear diff, I would get a second opinion or at least make them tell you specifics as to why they think it needs to be completely replaced.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #5

yeah I'm taking it into a different body shop ASAP because $2400 causes my little wallet much pain.

apparently the code that got pulled from the computer was 1151 .. any idea what that means?

AND BTW THANK YOU SO MUCH
Old 07-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Well I am not to good with the differential, I'm sure somebody here will chime in about them though. I will say that if it's the gears that are bad you may want to leave it up to a professional. While the procedure may be straight forward it can be very time consuming and the work has to be very precise.

As for the the tutorial on replacing the O2 sensors
How to replace your o2 sensors on a Mustang - MikeFordMustang.com

There is plenty of info on gear installs too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #7

does anyone know approx how much it actually COSTS to replace the rear differential on your own / what kind of work is involved?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

if it is a complete differential, I can't imagine there being much labor involved if you had someone else install it. Certainly not $2400 worth of labor as it is a remove-reinstall situation. It should just cost the cost of the rear diff plus 3 or 4 hours labor.

If you are handy with tools, you can probably do the swap yourself in a half a day. The complete diff shouldn't be more than 800 I wouldn't believe. If it is, just buy a whole used rear end and swap that in for much less.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmustang98xx View Post
They said that the rear differential had just suffered a lot of wear and tear so it is about to fall off..
If this is exactly what they told you, i would guess they think your an idiot and don't know anything. Definitely get another opinion somewhere else.

P1151 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2.
On the driver side exhaust(bank 2) change the first sensor after the manifol/header (upstream).
Old 07-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

2400 seems excessive for gears... i know some guys have said they can get a tlok rebuilt and installed with new gears for way less than half of that price...

and unless you managed to rip off all of your control arms i doubt its just going to fall off the car, i knew a guy that ripped off the top ones drag racing it and it still drove fine. I would differently want a better description of what the problem is/was before even hinting that i was going to pay them that much to fix it.

or like pure venom said, just bolt in an entire new (used) rear end. I don't recall which engine you had, but it would give you a good opportunity to get tlok if you didn't already have it and a 8.8 rear end if you didn't have that either.

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

if it is just the gears or tlock thats inside the rear end do not do it yourself plain and simple if it is the entire rear end which it will not be you can probably do that yourself. Like everyone else said have him tell you the specifics then tell us and we'll tell you if he is full of ****.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #12

I just replaced the rear differential in my '98 GT. The pinion bearing was bad and did some more damage. I got a differential out of a '97 GT in a local junkyard that was in good shape for $175. Took me and a friend a couple hours to swap and works perfectly. Find out exactly what's wrong and maybe this will work for you. Let me know if you need instructions or anything. It's easy but I know my way around cars. I'm sure you can do the O2 sensors cuz a lot of ppl replied to that. Good luck.
98stanggt921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
if it is a complete differential, I can't imagine there being much labor involved if you had someone else install it.
Wow, GREAT advice, how you would you know what's involved?

Take the car to a couple shops to get better estimates. You have an open diff anyway, so it's not like the clutches are going out or anything.

The only way they could even tell there was something wrong with it was if they opened it up, you can't just look at a rear end and say, "it's about to fall apart" without opening it up.

I highly doubt your rear end is messed up at all. The only things I could see going bad are the axle shaft, diff cover, and pinion seals.
RyansQuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang