My 2002 Ford Mustang (Help!!!) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to CrzyBeautiful Send a message via Yahoo to CrzyBeautiful
Arrow My 2002 Ford Mustang (Help!!!)

So I have had my Mustang for 2 months now, and while it has been a joy in my life – the problems it has caused me recently have been a pain in my behind.

On 6/17/2009, I had a complete clutch replacement. On 6/24/2009 I had an A/C service and my hood adjusted. Now I am experiencing more issues! At times my clutch smells like it is burning after a regular drive, the engine makes this high-pitched screeching noise (stops for a few days after I apply belt dressing) & the engine does this random jerk while driving. The 'jerk' does not happen everyday, but I have noticed it twice in the past week. It typically does it when I am going over 70.

The reason for my post is this: Based on your own experience, or experience of those around you 1.) Do you have any idea what the above issues are & 2.) What other items do I need to be on the lookout for?

My plan currently is to take the car to a Ford Dealership for a diagnostic & a complete look through of the car for any potential issues. Then take that list to my mechanic & have him knock it out.

Any ideas, help or suggestions that you can give – I would greatly appreciate it. I can’t move on to my mods until I have this car at its 100%.

Thanks in advance!

CrzyBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058
Re: My 2002 Ford Mustang (Help!!!)

how hard have you been driving the car since the clutch replacement? some people say there is a break in period with new clutches, some people say that is bs... was your flywheel cleaned up with the replacement? who did the replacement?

can't really think of anything else to ask.

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if after about 200-300 miles the clutch aint doing good they didnt put it in right... good luck getting them to fix the issue though.. most 100% blame you for the issue and dont want to stand behind their work.. but you never know.

I would clean my MAF sensor (its easy to do) and see if that helps the rough idle/shake issue. A squeel that goes away if you push the clutch in is clutch related not engine related so see if that is what it is.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to CrzyBeautiful Send a message via Yahoo to CrzyBeautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyspirit058 View Post
how hard have you been driving the car since the clutch replacement? some people say there is a break in period with new clutches, some people say that is bs... was your flywheel cleaned up with the replacement? who did the replacement?

can't really think of anything else to ask.
The mechanic that I take all my cars to did the work. He specializes in transmissions, did a diagnotic & said he didn't find anything(in addition to all the things he already fixed) If there is any issue with the work he did or that one of his guys did - I know he will fix it with no questions asked - so that is a relief on that end... The flywheel was replaced during the install.

As far as driving, I haven't driven it any significant distance. Each way to work/home is about 30 miles...there is alot of starting/stopping since I am in the city. Other than that I have just been driving it like a 'regular' person. (whatever regular is - lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
if after about 200-300 miles the clutch aint doing good they didnt put it in right... good luck getting them to fix the issue though.. most 100% blame you for the issue and dont want to stand behind their work.. but you never know.

I would clean my MAF sensor (its easy to do) and see if that helps the rough idle/shake issue. A squeel that goes away if you push the clutch in is clutch related not engine related so see if that is what it is. .
Thanks for the GREAT advice. I am going to try it out this afternoon. Even if that isn't the solution, I just learned something new!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #5

To me the "jerk" sounds like its a bad connection with; or a bad camshaft position sensor. I had the same thing on my 00' gt. the wire had melted down and the exposed wire was shorting out on an air conditioning hose and it caused it to jump. and as far as the squeeling check the a/c compressor clutch...good luck
mattjay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea, describe in as much detail as you can the issue more fully to see if anything stands out
Old 07-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

You might also try changing out the plugs and making sure no water got in there. Cleaning the MAF may help, be careful with it, it is delicate and expensive. If the belt is worn... replace it. The squeal may also be a pulley headed out. If you notice it starts happening a lot, try to isolate it. I burned through 2 smooth idlers and 1 grooved idler before I quit spraying my motor to clean it. It also created issues with water in the coils.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #8

spector is right about the clutch...if it sounds like a high pitched squeel and it disapears when you engage the clutch( but the clutch still engages) it sounds like it may just be the throwout bearing...its nice to fix just those and not having to replace clutch plates and flywheels...when my throwout bearing was going out my mechanic told me just to drive it to him..."it will be fine" he said...needless to say it was not ok..what started as a $250 job turned into a $700 job
Old 07-15-2009, 03:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Re: My 2002 Ford Mustang (Help!!!) *Update*

Here is an update thus far:

Took my car to Airport Ford Marina and they said I need a fuel pump replacement. Now for them to do it of course will cost me a nice 895.00. I also needed a new battery (which I knew) - So I went to Auto Zone & bought a new battery & installed at home - saved myself $30.00. Taking the car down to my mechanic tomorrow or next week to swap the fuel filter (just temporary) & while we look for a fuel pump thats decent in price...

I'll keep you guys updated & let you know if the fuel pump solves the issue... After the fuel pump we move on to proper suspension...

(P.S. To answer the question about the screeching - the only time it will stop or subside is when the engine is revving and/or I spray some belt dressing prior to start-up)

Thanks again guys for all your help & suggestions!

L.C.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

fuel pumps are not THAT hard to do, the trick is to use up most of the gas before you drop the tank down.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyBeautiful View Post
Here is an update thus far:

Took my car to Airport Ford Marina and they said I need a fuel pump replacement. Now for them to do it of course will cost me a nice 895.00. I also needed a new battery (which I knew) - So I went to Auto Zone & bought a new battery & installed at home - saved myself $30.00. Taking the car down to my mechanic tomorrow or next week to swap the fuel filter (just temporary) & while we look for a fuel pump thats decent in price...

I'll keep you guys updated & let you know if the fuel pump solves the issue... After the fuel pump we move on to proper suspension...

(P.S. To answer the question about the screeching - the only time it will stop or subside is when the engine is revving and/or I spray some belt dressing prior to start-up)

Thanks again guys for all your help & suggestions!

L.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
fuel pumps are not THAT hard to do, the trick is to use up most of the gas before you drop the tank down.
yes, and you can pick up an SVT Focus Fuel pump (nice upgrade from stock) for about $125.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 07-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
yes, and you can pick up an SVT Focus Fuel pump (nice upgrade from stock) for about $125.
Thanks for this tip! I did a quick search - is this product #, 3S4Z-9H307-BC, still the correct product number for the SVT Ford Focus pump? And are there any additional things that I would need for this install since it is a Focus pump?

Thanks again!
L.C.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyBeautiful View Post
Thanks for this tip! I did a quick search - is this product #, 3S4Z-9H307-BC, still the correct product number for the SVT Ford Focus pump? And are there any additional things that I would need for this install since it is a Focus pump?

Thanks again!
L.C.
you know where the thanks button is ... also, the install (from what I remember) entails pulling the pump out of the bucket and dropping it in. You MAY have to drill a small hole or two in the bottom of the bucket depending... but I think it'll be fine if you can swap pump into the bucket.

That is the correct part number.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang