V6 Dual Exhaust questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
a3705872's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Region: Texas
Posts: 95
V6 Dual Exhaust questions

Okay, I finally picked up a stock GT Exhaust catback... I think. I have some photos here of the exhaust piping. The Piping between the mid pipe and the flowmasters looks to be 3 inches but it does bend inward some, so it may be 2 1/2 inches. The pipes out of the back of the muffler look to be 2 1/4 inches but the have 3 1/2 inch tips. Will I lose any back pressure with this setup?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-0026.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	20826   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-0027.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	20827  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-0028.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	20828   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-0029.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	20829  

a3705872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
2007STANG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 295
Re: V6 Dual Exhaust questions

If the Cat's are still there i don't think so (I'm No expert)
__________________
Billet fuel door, Daiblo 91 Tune, Xenon ram air hood scoop, MAC performance direct fit headers, 3" 304 SS Dual exhaust, hood pin appearance kit, Red l.E.D. underbody lights, Boy Racer rear wing, Helix power tower plus Throttle body spacer, ventvisor deflector, Aeroform chin spoiler, SVT 18" 9.5 45/255 frount SVT 18" 9.5 40/285 rear trire , GTO rear blackout kit, OEM rear splash guards, Steeda CAI, 8.8 rear axle with 3.73.1 LSD, killer Glass Hose, Smoked Window Louvers by GT Styling 35% Tenting on rear and side windows.
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
upton7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,756
Re: V6 Dual Exhaust questions

stock is 2.5 inches its cut back that's why your tape read three inches. If you stay with 2.5 inches the whole way you'll be fine
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
RyansQuick6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 394
Re: V6 Dual Exhaust questions

Your exhaust is only as large as it's smallest part. It's all in where that smallest part is that determines the sound output.
RyansQuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: V6 Dual Exhaust questions

I think the stock piping on the GT's was 2 1/4 inches with 3 inch tips. At least it is on the v6's. Maybe whoever had the exhaust before you did some strange modifying to it.

Most of the aftermarket systems are 2.5 inches with mandrel bent piping.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
a3705872's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Region: Texas
Posts: 95
Re: V6 Dual Exhaust questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
I think the stock piping on the GT's was 2 1/4 inches with 3 inch tips. At least it is on the v6's. Maybe whoever had the exhaust before you did some strange modifying to it.

Most of the aftermarket systems are 2.5 inches with mandrel bent piping.

Well, worst case scenario is I replace all the pipe with 2 1/4 inch pipe and just keep the flowmasters. Will the 3 inch tips cause any lose of back pressure on the V6?
a3705872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14
Re: V6 Dual Exhaust questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3705872 View Post
Okay, I finally picked up a stock GT Exhaust catback... I think. I have some photos here of the exhaust piping. The Piping between the mid pipe and the flowmasters looks to be 3 inches but it does bend inward some, so it may be 2 1/2 inches. The pipes out of the back of the muffler look to be 2 1/4 inches but the have 3 1/2 inch tips. Will I lose any back pressure with this setup?
you are wasting your time trying to put dual on a s197 vehiche!!!! you will loss hr and tq because of lost of back pressure ... stay will a singe exhaust and a good high flow muffler. 4.o liter engine dont go well with duals
__________________
2006 v6 5 speed prem coupe, pony package
vortech supercharger with air to water intercooler
oil cooler,4 inch alum driveshaft,8.8 gt rear end,
gt front sway bar and strut tower bracket,
8 auto meter electric guages
colorado pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
a3705872's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Region: Texas
Posts: 95
Re: V6 Dual Exhaust questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado pony View Post
you are wasting your time trying to put dual on a s197 vehiche!!!! you will loss hr and tq because of lost of back pressure ... stay will a singe exhaust and a good high flow muffler. 4.o liter engine dont go well with duals


Didn't your momma teach you, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Also, you didn't answer my questions so why waste your time with your replies. Why comment on a 4.0 when were talking about S-197's...
a3705872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: V6 Dual Exhaust questions

If you try and keep your piping at the stock size (2.25) you really won't lose any backpressure. We lose some torque when going to 2.5 inch piping. But we gain that back with an udp or a good tune.

...and yes, we're talking about a 99-04 "new edge" mustang...and having dual pipes is a must, it's a goddamn mustang for god's sakes. It should be standard, or at least an option, but they haven't put dual exhaust on 6 cylinder mustangs yet, so why start now...the only chance now is an overpriced ford racing trak pak option.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: V6 Dual Exhaust questions

Oh yeah, the tips won't really affect anything. Maybe a slight change in tone, but nothing serious. They're mainly for looks. They don't add 100 hp like the fart cannons do.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
a3705872's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Region: Texas
Posts: 95
Re: V6 Dual Exhaust questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Oh yeah, the tips won't really affect anything. Maybe a slight change in tone, but nothing serious. They're mainly for looks. They don't add 100 hp like the fart cannons do.

Are 3 inch tips going to make a nice sounding tone or do I need something smaller like a 2 1/2 inch tip?
a3705872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Herbstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,932
Re: V6 Dual Exhaust questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
If you try and keep your piping at the stock size (2.25) you really won't lose any backpressure. We lose some torque when going to 2.5 inch piping. But we gain that back with an udp or a good tune.

...and yes, we're talking about a 99-04 "new edge" mustang...and having dual pipes is a must, it's a goddamn mustang for god's sakes. It should be standard, or at least an option, but they haven't put dual exhaust on 6 cylinder mustangs yet, so why start now...the only chance now is an overpriced ford racing trak pak option.
Good Answer !! With a intake spacer you also gain back some torque/HP the spacer adds length to the runners
__________________

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: V6 Dual Exhaust questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3705872 View Post
Are 3 inch tips going to make a nice sounding tone or do I need something smaller like a 2 1/2 inch tip?
I'd just leave the 3 inch tips it came with. A lot of times those aftermarket chrome ones will rust out after time. Plus the mufflers make the biggest difference in sound and tone. Unless you want bigger (3.5 or 4 inch) tips or rolled tips (Mach 1/Bullitt) for appearance, I wouldn't worry about it.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
more v6 exhaust questions BuddyLee Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 26 09-02-2014 02:44 PM
SSS Terminator + Nino Dual Exhaust Kit OR Mac Dual Cat Back? AggieMustang Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 46 01-29-2010 07:03 PM
Exhaust questions saleen0027 1996-2004 Mustang GT 5 06-17-2005 02:41 PM
My questions on exhaust. Dom Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 4 01-09-2005 09:23 PM
Exhaust Questions DMAC Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 5 11-29-2004 05:39 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



04:26 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.