sludge in intake manifold - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Exclamation sludge in intake manifold

there was like sludge in in my TB and intake manifold, I used a toothbrush, shop towles, and intake cleaner to get rid of it, the tb is clean now but I can't reach whats left in the intake manifold. I did notice a better throttle respons after cleaning the tb. my question is how hard it is to get the tb off so I can clean the rest of the intake manifold? I've got a CAI on its way, I'm about to make a grounding kit, and I plan on getting new spark plugs and wires soon. I'd like to get the manifold cleaned before I get the CAI in. so if anyone can help let me know, thx
dr10129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Directions for removing the TB can be taken from the first couple pages of the Spacer install How to.

http://v6stangs.com/index.php?page=h...cers/index.php
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

find a shop that does intake cleaning. they run almost like a foaming liquid i did it at my old shop and it works great. may be a little expensive but you can pull off your iac and even that will be claened. works great
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

its easy to get the manifold off. Just undo a couple bolts and pull it off.

If you have a dremel you can go ahead and polish the manifold with some 120 grit dremel sanding bits. Helps it flow a little better. The oil comes from the PCV and EGR (positive crankcase ventilation and exhaust gas return) that both put used air and some oil in the intake tract and gets sucked into the engine and sticks to the manifold. This will cause a decrease in performance as the runners are now narrower and the volume of air decreases.

as for the grounding kit you mentioned. Don't bother. Won't work on domestic cars, and hardly works on import cars (only a select few benefit. mustang wont)
Old 04-14-2005, 11:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

thx, I'll have to look into that stuff tomorow some time, I'm too tired tonight, I made the grounding kit and installed it, I notice a pretty decent difference, I'm happy with it.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:16 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr10129
thx, I'll have to look into that stuff tomorow some time, I'm too tired tonight, I made the grounding kit and installed it, I notice a pretty decent difference, I'm happy with it.

it's in your head. I would be willing to bet if you dyno'd before and after, you wouldnt see a change.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
yea just in your head lol i didnt notice crap after my cai/exhaust/etc... i did feel a SLIGHT difference in my ud pulley, and of course a tiny difference in gears.... the cai just make the car sound a little dif.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It really did, I'm not saying it made a hug difforence or anything but it did smooth the power curve a little bit, not much but a little, ist not so spiky anymore. which we have EFI on the 99+, I tied the alternator and fuel rail into it as well as some other stuff. but thats not the main thing I'm happy about. we all know the mach 460 system isn't the best and when you turn it up it sounds like ****. it doesn't do that anymore when you turn it up. the lights don't dime as much either. we don't have the biggest motors out there but they arn't exactly the smallest either. it was a good idea to beef up the grounding on the engine. after I install my CAI once I it gets here in a few days I'll take some pictures so you guys can see how I ran the grounding kit. it does make sense.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang