Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2000 v6 gears and pulleys?

4K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  GHILLIEOPS 
#1 ·
On another post i made someone recommended i should get new gears for my 2000 v6 and a t lock. I have never heard of a t-lock before! Lol. I also heard changing underdrive pulleys would b a good thing for the car and power.

Can anyone let me know where i can find new gears (4.10's i think) and underdrive pulleys? Do you guys think this would help in any ways?

#2 · (Edited)
Ford racing has the best gears and tloks. I think American Muscle might have the frpp tlok. While it won't increase hp, you will definitely feel like you did...better launches, better response, faster acceleration, two wheel burnouts :D

Gears/tlok are some of the best mods we can do for our v6's. You will need a tuner of some sort to correct the speedo after the gear change.

http://www.stangmods.com/Ford-Racing-Gears-Traction-Loks-s/142.htm

http://www.americanmuscle.com/lsd.html

http://www.aspracing.com/ford.htm

Underdrive pulleys are a decent mod if you don't plan on supercharging your car in the future. You can see 3-7rwhp. ASP makes a nice pulley for the 99-04 v6's.

I'm sure there are other places to find these products if you do some research...but I'd stick with the Ford Racing brand for gears/tlok.

#3 · (Edited)
thanks man!

WHAT DOES THE "INCHES" NUMBER MEAN AND THAT OTHER NUMBER THAT GOES NEXT TO IT? SORRY IF ITS A DUMB QUESTION... IM NEW TO THIS "TLOK" THING... WHICH ONE WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?

ALSO FOR THE GEARS? I HAVENT FOUND ANYTHING GOOD FOR MY CAR...

AND BTW, U R VERY HELPFUL, THANKS A LOT!

#6 ·
Hey, no dumb questions on here...we're all learning :good:

The first number, 7.5" is the size of the rearend. Our v6's have a 7.5" rear stock from the factory. You need this size in gears and the tlok for it to work in your rearend, so make sure the gears and tlok you buy fit the 7.5" rear for v6 mustangs.

The second number is the spline. The number of teeth on the output shaft I believe, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
The 7.5" rearends used 28 spline shafts, while the 8.8" used the 31 spline shaft.

#4 ·
The differential gives power to the wheels and allows them to rotate at different speeds.

The tlok (or Limited Slip Differential), what you'd be upgrading to, basically allows power to both wheels due to a set of clutches and a spring pack within the unit. The clutches are only used when one wheel is spinning faster than the other. They engage, trying to force the wheels to go the same speed. If a wheel wants to spin faster, it must over power the engaged clutch.

That's my quick summation off the top of my head.

It goes in your rearend, within the pumpkin.

#8 ·
There are different styles of tloks that perform different functions: torsen locker, open, etc.

The limited slip differential is the best for you since your probably going to use the car as a dd. Lockers are usually used for offroading. The open is what you have stock, it always transmits an equal amount of power to the wheels - this is why you get one wheel burnouts or just see one wheel spinning when slipping on ice. That's why upgrading to a limited slip is so much better.

It is basically up to you on what ratio you get. Common saying is 4.10s for autos, 3.73's for manuals. If you do a lot of highway driving, you may lose a couple of mpgs with 4.10's, though the performance feel outweighs the loss of mpgs. Some people go with 3.90's to balance the mileage loss.

Here are some sites with the Ford 7.5" gears, I'm sure there's more out there:

Mustang Rear End Gears

V6 Mustang Stuff | V6 Mustang Performance Parts and Accessories

#10 ·
I haven't done the gears yet, but when I do, I'll get 4.10's. The taller gear really boosts your acceleration. Some have said the 4.10's in manuals was too tall, so that's why they tend to go with 3.73's.

Like I said before, if you do a lot of highway driving, the 4.10's may decrease your mpgs by a mile or two because your rpm's will be higher. But if you're not that concerned about mpgs, I say go with Ford Racing 7.5" 4.10 gears, what you gain outweighs the loss of mpgs imo.

#11 ·
We have 4.10s but u recommend gettin after market 4.10s is what u're saying?

AND ILL ASK SOMETHING... U MIGHT KNOW Y IT IS... MY CAR KINDA PULLS WHEN ITS SHIFTING GEARS, NOT THAT THERES SOMETHING WRONG WITH THAT BUT I DONT KNOW IF URS DOES THE SAME THING?

#12 ·
I probably made that last post confusing...sorry.

The stock gears in our cars is 3.27. I would upgrade to Ford Racing 4.10's when installing a tlok. You can have the gears and tlok installed at the same time. Any shop that tells you otherwise is full o' ****.

Mine does that when I am wot (wide open throttle). It seems to pull during that small gap between shifts around 50 or so. Not sure why it does that, might just be a ford auto tranny thing...

#14 ·
Basically, but the loss of mpg really isn't that substantial. I would still consider the 4.10's if you're wanting a taller gear ratio.

3.90's would be nice, but I haven't seen them for the 7.5" rear.
3.73's would really be your other option, but I've heard of others who installed 3.73's in their autos and wished they had gone with 4.10's instead.

Usually you have to buy the gears and tlok separate and have them installed at the same time.

#16 ·
when I had my 01 v6 my gas mileage with a 50/50 city/hwy mix was 21mpg with 3.73 gears and a ford tlok unit.

4.10s will be about 1 mpg worse~ in the city your gas mileage will go up or stay the same, on the interstate it will go down 2-3 mpg.

#18 ·
4:10 for the auto is about the same as putting 3:73 5-sp

5th rear in a manual is 0.67 or 0.62 I believe :confused: auto is something like 0.75

#19 ·
I know you're talking about gears right now, but when I installed a new underdrive and waterpump pulley, I could tell a huge difference. The gain in horsepower is 10+ and around city, my MPG rose to 19.

The best brand for our model is "Motoblue".

Ford Mustang 3.8L V6 Performance Parts FREE SHIPPING!

#20 ·
I'd go with ford racing 4.10's, a ford racing tlok, and have them installed at the same time.

You'll need friction modifier (differential oil) for the install, and may want to consider a 7.5" bearing rebuild kit since you're tearing the area apart. You'll want a tuner to adjust the speedo after the gear change.

#21 ·
i did a pypes true dual 2.5' PYPES exhaust and TRI AX shifter and american muscale cold air kit and performance distributors SCREAMIN DEMON coil and LIVE wires and i can eat a stock 5.0 with ease with my 04 v6 5speed..no pulleys gears or even comp upgrade.. and i get beter gas milage and smother idle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.