Hey guys, new here with a crazy question... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #1

Region: Louisiana
Hey guys, new here with a crazy question...

So to start off it's not my Stang, but the GF's, a 2000 Mustang V6, I have done a few mods to it, nothing major, Intake, and dual exhaust off of American Muscle... we have a issue with the way the car rides around 1200 to 1500 RPM, doesn't matter the speed, it gets really rough and feels kinda funny, but rides perfect above that...

So I plugged a scanner in her and she gave me a cylinder 1 misfire... ok, checked the plug... fine, checked the wire... fine, swapped the coil pack... still the same, checked the fuel injector... WTF... everything is in order and still rough... lol

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!!
workman3886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: Hey guys, new here with a crazy question...

Check compression first. If all are about equal then it could be a partially plugged injector. Only way to tell is to take them out and to somewhere that has a machine to check/clean them. Normal injector cleaner you put in the tank doesn't usually work.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Only when around that RPM if its good above that RPM would lead me to think the injectors are ok (maybe clean MAF or something rotating) if it was a plug or a coil pack i would think it would run ****ty all the time. is it Auto or Manual tranny
Billet fuel door, Daiblo 91 Tune, Xenon ram air hood scoop, MAC performance direct fit headers, 3" 304 SS Dual exhaust, hood pin appearance kit, Red l.E.D. underbody lights, Boy Racer rear wing, Helix power tower plus Throttle body spacer, ventvisor deflector, Aeroform chin spoiler, SVT 18" 9.5 45/255 frount SVT 18" 9.5 40/285 rear trire , GTO rear blackout kit, OEM rear splash guards, Steeda CAI, 8.8 rear axle with 3.73.1 LSD, killer Glass Hose, Smoked Window Louvers by GT Styling 35% Tenting on rear and side windows.
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #4

it is a auto tranny, ok, so after I posted this I thought let me check into which plugs you guys like, all the forums I searched I found no one liked the Bosch Platinum plugs... guess which ones I have, So I went to AutoZone and got some Motorcraft Platinum plugs, which I seen everyone liked, just finished that and I must say, she gets up better, but still has that damn shake...

Also the Bosch plugs were mixed results, two were ok, three had a little oil, and one looked like it has been to hell and back... so I was sure that was my problem, well, she needed the plugs anyway.

So does anyone have a thought on the compression tools
Old 07-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

What kind of scanner are you using? Is it one that you can view datastream as your driving? If so see if its only missing at the rpm range u stated or its all the time. It can still be missing at higher R's but its harder to notice. You should be able to go back to autozone and they can't rent you a compression gauge, or buy one, they are fairly cheap.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #6

hummmm, it's my brother-in-law's scanner, it's fairly simple, orange and has a few buttons, nothing to fancy.

I just got back from driving it on the interstate and some back roads... strange enough it feels "better" on the interstate but actually worse at slower speeds... around 40 to 45 when at about 1200 rpm in 4th gear...

I know it's not a drivetrain issue because I can put the car and park and hold the gas to the lower 1000 RPM range and it gets rough...

I swear to you after about 1500 you don't even notice it's there... and idle is perfect
Old 07-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

clean the maf sensor good with on contact NO residue electronic cleaner really good.

also does it have an aftermarket crank pulley or balancer or has it been messed with? If it has the crank sensor that reads off this pulley can cause a missfire code if the harmonic balancer is not fully pressed on. Its a high tq amount.

also the sensor could be bad, but generally its more than 1 cyl misfire with this.
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Bosch platinums are the ABSOLUTE WORST plug you could have bought. NGK TR5 copper plugs are $14 a set and work great.
RyansQuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #9

I agree now lol, I didn't know any better when I put them in..

I cleaned the sensor and no difference, and all the pulleys are stock, only mods are exhaust and intake...

the car does have 117,000 miles on it, so I did expect something to go wrong cause the car hasn't given us a lick of trouble
Old 07-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

check the compression. The compression tester is like $30. It's easy to do (on the 2v...) You get to feed it under the motor Let us know your results.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang