Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Getting a CAI for my 04

Tags
cai
2K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  upton7 
#1 ·
I've heard many people say when looking for parts for my mustang getting parts that say for 3.8L mustangs will still fit my 3.9.

is this true for these:
Mustang V6 Cold Air Intake Kit at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

BBK Cold Air Intake (99-03 3.8 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Or can i only use ones like these:
Steeda V6 High-Flow Air Kit (94-04 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

K&N Mustang FIPK Air Intake Kit (99-04 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

thanks, and lastely give me your opinions on which one is the best.. i was told get a K&N.

#5 ·
I don't understand then.. why dosen't it say they can be used for 04s? But you are saying this one will fit my 04:
Mustang V6 Cold Air Intake Kit at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Because on AM it says Fits 1999 to early 2003 V6 Mustangs. And i'm not really looking for performance gains, just trying to give my exhaust a little deeper sound.

#6 ·
you'll gain about 3 to 5 RWHP They all work the same some are just shiner then others CAI are designed to lower the temperature of the air entering your engine to maximize the power your car performs better and produces a intake noise. doesn't change the exhaust note

#7 ·
I was told you get a deeper note with a aftermarket CAI. But i bought the cheapest one off americanmuscle. I'm not trying to pay like 200 dollars more if they all do the same thing. thanks for the imput guys.

#8 ·
Yah, that American Muscle one should fit your 3.9 fine. I remember reading a comment/review from someone on the site, he had a 3.9 and said it fit fine.

#13 ·
Yah I thought the same thing...I'm sure the intent is to prevent crap from entering but it prolly impedes performance at one point.

#16 ·
usually anything i buy from AM i get it the next day (today).. since i don't have work today ill put it on and ill let you know if it gets deeper.

#17 ·
You will probably notice a slight increase in engine noise, as well as the sucking noise when you get on it. I doubt the exhaust note changes much.

#18 ·
Yah the sucking noise is pretty sweet. I can hear mine as soon as I put in drive and let off the brake. When I'm driving on the highway with the a/c on the sucking noise comes and goes, like a purge...I like it :)

#26 · (Edited)
3.9 was the mid season motor for 2004 The 3.8 became a 3.9 because of the Windstar. Ford overbored the 3.8 to create the 3.9 for the Windstar to make it sound better in advertisments. There is no difference between the two different displacements other then the bore size. There are FWD and RWD blocks, but the main difference is the block to trans bolt pattern and engine mount bosses.While ford says no power increase the 1L is good for 3 to 5 HP IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.