torque converter removal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
torque converter removal

OK...so in order to get to the bellhousing bolts that connect the transmission to the engine, I had to yank the whole thing out. So on my workbench, I had a large mass of engine/transmission. I finally got that last stupid bolt out, and started prying everything apart. The bellhousing came off, but the torque converter won't come off. It looks like it may be bolted on [to the flywheel/flexplate?] I've managed to get a wrench down in there, but they won't budge, and I'm rounding off the edges of the nuts. Any ideas? Other than c4, which is my roommate's suggestion for everything.
shustwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Re: torque converter removal

ModernMuscleCars.net - Modern Muscle Cars - Torque Converter Install ( Camaro | Trans Am | Mustang | GTO | Corvette | LS1 | LS2 | LS6 | WS6 | SVT | GT | Cobra | Z-28 | SS | Z06 | Tech )

try this At the front of the bellhousing bottom half is a small thin metal plate. If I recall correctly it is held in by 2 bolts. Remove these bolts and slide the plate out. From here you will be looking for 4 nuts and there will be a bolt in there. These things will be coming through the flywheel. This is the torque converter. What you need to do is remove the nuts one at a time. You will have to have someone turn and hold the engine. Have them turn it over by attaching a ratchet to the crankshaft pulley bolt and have them turn the engine from here also, to expose the other 3 nuts. Once all 4 nuts are removed then you are done here.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Yup, that's how we did it on Louis' car a couple weeks ago.
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Thanks! I had the engine/transmission out and upright, so didn't see the access area [mine is a little rubber plate with a metal clip holding it on.] Two of the nuts came off right away.

Unfortunately at least one of the nuts is too rounded off by my trying to get at it with a wrench. My best friend at the local junk yard told me they sometimes have to take a chisel to the nuts and break them off...as a last resort, of course. I even took my Dremel to it to un-round off the edges so the socket would fit again, but alas...
shustwit is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang