Take Off - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2003, 07:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Take Off

I just got a 1996 3.8L V6 Mustang with dual exhaust and at start up it takes slower than it should. What can I do to help give it some punch. Its automatic but none the less it should burn some rubber....once it hits second gear and I cruise at about 35 mph and then floor it, it has some pickup but I want it to hit at the the start of the line. Any ideas??
robert0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2003, 07:44 AM   #2
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
Yes!

The biggest best thing you can do is re-gear.

With an Auto, I went with 4.10's and a trac-lok differential. You have the added benefit of being pre99 so your speedo isn't computer controlled, and you won't need a new chip (~$275).

This will result in your engine revving higher to go the same speed, but our cars produce their max torque at about 3500rpms, so you are in your car's zone to launch. Max torque = Max wheel spin!..

With the wheel spin though, you will only get the passenger side rear to move, so the trak-lok differential will fix that.

Simply adding 4.10's and a trac-loc will let you destroy your tires. Now, with some phenolic spacers from Flex, you will get even more torque (maybe 10ft lbs)..

I got my gears and t-lok from GEF Racing.

You will then need to find an installer. Check out the Recommended shops for Ill, and give them a call. Should run you $250 - $300 to get them installed.

You will need a new speedogear to fix the speedo problem, but I would recommend going with a Fordchip to also remove the rev limiter. Becausse the gears will cause your engine to run higher RPM's to achieve the same MPH, you will hit your rev limiter at about 90mph.. The fordchip can fix this, and completely remove the limiter, as well as advance the timing (which gives you more HP) and they can also play with the tranny shift points. I LOVE the new shift point my fordchip gave me... AWESOME!.

So, to sum it up.. Re-Gear + Fordchip =

Cost =

Mine ran about $1000 or so.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:57 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
You are not going to burn much rubber with the stock gear set.

You need to do some maintenance to get back some of the spunk in you car. Change the air filter and clean the MAF ( the silver tube just aft of the air filter box) with non residue electrical cleaner, change the sparkplugs( dont buy expensive and useless plugs) use the motorcraft or Autolite plugs. Check you plug wire if they look worse for wear or you have a light show at night with the hood up they need changing. If you are willing to spend a little money get a Cold air intake (CAI) and a Under drive pulley(UDP)

If you want to spend money to get more performance you can do what 99vert said and get gears and tloc but I would do all the bolt ons to before you get a chip though

How much money you want to spend will determine how much performance upgrade you want to do. If you need any other questions answered feel free to ask me or any of the other great Mods on this site. also spend some time reading posts in the different areas in the 232 Performance Garage

Corey

Old 08-07-2003, 09:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Eventually with all the mods I want to do..it will come out to a few grand($2000.00- $3000.00) but all one at a time.
I likw the idea of the simple stuff first...spark plugs, wires, and air filter. This stang has 139,000 miles..
The guy that had it was very careless...its going in the shop on the 20th for warranty repairs...after that is when I will do minor...radiator and engine flushes.
Oil change and cleaning...I have a big project ahead of me.

Any other ideas would be awesome..thanks for all the help!
Old 08-07-2003, 09:24 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Just to warn you 94-96 3.8 had some diffculties with head gasket problems. They fixed the problem with a new gasket in 97. The car might have already had it done. The service bulletin that Ford put out to fix it free ran out in 99-00 time frame. I say this if you are intending to run nitrous or a supercharger on the stock motor you will need to change the gaskets if it has not alreay been done
Old 08-07-2003, 09:34 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
It was just 94-95 which had the big head gasket recall's they upgraded gasket's in 96.

i believe in 99+ they went the extra mile using steel gaskets.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 09:41 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Sorry charles but you are not correct the 96 did fall into the head gasket problem somewhere in the run they changed the problem and 97 all had new style gaskets. 98 they came up with the newer steel gasket (thats what was on my car) because the 98 had the 99 block.

When I was looking at my mustang to buy I checked on the head gasket problem and there were a ****load of HG failures on the 96 also. even though the heads were newer in 96 ford used the same crappy HG's even though they new they had a problem.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
This stang has 139,000 miles..
Sounds like it just needs and overall tune-up and then go from there to see what you can do to get power back.

-Mike

http://www.oraucoc.org/downloads/mwi...tangbanner.jpg
TriStateStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 12:11 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
We are talking about a car with very high miles, only 150 hp to start with, poor maintenance from what he describes.... All I can say is good luck! If I can help with anything just hollar.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 12:16 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Sorry charles but you are not correct the 96 did fall into the head gasket problem somewhere in the run they changed the problem and 97 all had new style gaskets. 98 they came up with the newer steel gasket (thats what was on my car) because the 98 had the 99 block.

When I was looking at my mustang to buy I checked on the head gasket problem and there were a ****load of HG failures on the 96 also. even though the heads were newer in 96 ford used the same crappy HG's even though they new they had a problem.
wow never heard of 96+ with hg failures. The recall was only called for 94-95. 96 doesnt have a head gasket replacement recall.
but good to know, 2 buddys of myn got 96's
Old 08-07-2003, 12:24 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Its a new one on me too Charles, and I was a 94 owner, my engine got replaced by Ford before I bought it. I was also under the impression the 96s were not effected by the bad head gasket thing, but I really am not surprized to hear it, lol.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:30 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

No there was a lawsuit involving 96 3.8 as well as all 3.8 Ford cars that were not on the original complaints but they fell on deaf ears and were not officially included but were worked on a case by case situation. actually the 97 still showed some failures occuring early in the run and just abrubtly stopped. that is when they probably started using the same gasket as the 98 which has shown not afailures above what is considered normal when comparing it to other cars.

Ford did everything to sweep the problem under the rug
Old 08-07-2003, 12:38 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

So if you really want to get a decent 3.8 you should just spring for a 2001 or newer, and get the best ones, lol. By then they have the split port, best head gaskets, and have eliminated the pcv problem too, LOL.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:45 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

well the 98 had no problems but like I said the 98 block is actually a 99 block and the PVC problem can be fixed with a simple valve cover change
Old 08-07-2003, 12:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Rick...you absolutely correct when you say lots of miles...lots of work!!
I think this is the best thing..give me some time. With some cash and the help of 232stangs...I'm gonna have a sweet stang..and the previous owner is gonna beg for the car back!! I'll post some before pics and later some after pics!!!
Old 08-07-2003, 01:05 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Dude i have 135,000 miles on my car. And my car kicks.

Maintnence maintnence maintnence!!
Old 08-07-2003, 01:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Charles-
Can you do me a favor and find a pic of a Black 1996 V6 Mustang with tinted windows...I want to create a signature pic but I am having a hard time finding the right one.
Thanks!
Old 08-07-2003, 01:36 PM   #18
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Here's one that is close..

It has 485rwhp!
Old 08-07-2003, 01:42 PM   #19
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

You can also go to Autotrader.com and put in 1996 V6 Mustang Coupe, and look at the pictures that are there to find one that is similar to yours
Old 08-07-2003, 02:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Ken!
Old 08-07-2003, 05:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds like it just needs and overall tune-up and then go from there to see what you can do to get power back.

-Mike

You were right...I just came back from AutoZone and my check engine light was on. Did an analysis and all the stang needs is a full tune-up. Second cyclinder is misfiring!!
Old 08-07-2003, 06:14 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

what you should do also if you "can" do it, rip it open pop off the tb upper intake and lower if you know how to do all that.

Clean it up slightly high mileage will have all kinds of gunk and oil and gas deposits in there.

i remember when i took myn off before i used some sandpaper and carb cleaner.

Popped that #### back on, car felt funky, then i reset the comp and i fllllllew car felt great.
I recommend it if you can do it, its really not hard at all.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:28 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Hey look at the 3rd post on this thread I said you needed a tune up
Old 08-08-2003, 07:10 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Old 08-08-2003, 09:21 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang