Turbo on a V6 ?'s - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2005, 06:33 PM   #1

Region: Delaware
Turbo on a V6 ?'s

people tell me bout turbos and superchargers and tell me to get a turbo. so i am. but where is a good place to buy online for a turbo?
99'sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Hm...dunno. One thing you should know about the turbos, there's alot more fab work unless you buy a premade kit. They're better in some aspects...but just more work overall.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF
http://www.members.aol.com/andylittleton/tma.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2005, 07:16 PM   #4
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
TuxMaskAndy is the guy to talk to, Kyle linked you.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:47 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
research

turbos arnt like a supercharger, where you can buy a kit, and it goes on seemlessly, turbos require much more tuning, and have many more variables
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SeadudeRXP
What about price. This is definetely something I am interested in but the link to the customer vehicles and prices doesn't work. Plus what about reliablility. My car is a daily driver, does anybody know how reliable a turbo set up on a v6 is. I can't imagine there are that many people out there that have this done.
SeadudeRXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:38 PM   #7
I liek gramer
Legacy

I don't know from experience, but I have always heard if you want a turbo, just get ready to break stuff. My friends got a turbo 240 and his **** is breakin all the time it seems like.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Id have to reccomend you talked to Justin over at V6P/velocityperformance.com

He did a nice TT V6 and he made everything himself. From the piping and new headers.
I guess Tux has a kit himself you can talk too and just think I remember a guy over at 3.8 who had a company use his 6-er to put on a turbo kit and well lets just say it went BOOM and now owns a crapmaro

As for pricing look to spending a real good penny upwards of 4Gs and def def be prepared to break ****.

Id reccomend getting nitrous less strain and its there when you need it well till the bottle is empty :yup:
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:33 PM   #9
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
superchargers = cheaper and more reliable
turbos = big $$$$, needs a good tune, but defanitely better gains.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:53 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
can someone expand on what "stuff" tends to break

-Denver
2002 Mineral Grey GT, 5-speed: MGW short throw, JLT CAI: SOLD
2002 Electric Green V6, Auto: SOLD
greenpony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
anything and everything. Theres no specifics just be prepared. Theres usually something that goes wrong. Whether its fuel related or what it happens. I got buddies with turbo-ed 5.0s and they right now are out of commsion due to some fuel related items on one and the other threw a rod.

Not saying that sgonna happen to you but just to show anything and everything can and or could break.
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:15 PM   #12
I liek gramer
Legacy

my friend w/ a turbo 240 has a blown headgasket. But that was his fault I'm pretty sure. He got a new boost controller, and has "no idea" how many psi he was runnin.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I am by no means an expert in the field but I have been researching turno's and shuperchargers a lot since I am considering getting one next year. First off this thing about breaking stuff is only true if you are an idiot. If you run safe boost levels and upgrade your fuel system you will be fine. But if you are trying to run 20psi using stock fuel injectors and pump then KABOOM! Same goes for superchargers. Its just a bigger deal to change boost on the supercharger out of the two. If you are going to turbo then you are looking at around 4k with all the upgrades and such. This is a fairly optimistic price and doesn't include a good tune. The key to turboing your stang is going to be tuning it, so you have to find a good place to get a dyno tune. No tune = no workie! Superchargers are cheaper to buy, easier to install and easier to come by. You will be able to find used supercharger kits all the time. Just don't buy from somoene that isn't reputable and always have it checked out by someone that knows their stuff before you put it in. Overall you will be able to get more power out of the turbo however that will require forged internals. To run safe amounts of boost without too much hassle get a supercharger and save yourself the cash. This holds true for daily drivers. Get a supercharger, it's easier, will require less engine work and provides safe levels of boost for daily driven cars. If you want a race car go with the turbo but be prepared to invest some serious coin.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:53 PM   #14

Region: California
id go with a blower, you dont have to replace them like you do a turbo. it would be cheaper.
5.0freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 01:45 PM   #15

Region: Colorado
Send a message via AIM to Dracken Send a message via Yahoo to Dracken
Supercharger vs. Turbocharger

There's actually pro's and con's to both setups, what you acually need to determine is 1) what kind of gains you're wanting 2) what kind of upgrading you want to do later and 3) how much money you want to dump into the project .

-Superchager-
Pro's:
-Easy to locate pre-fabricated kits
-Initial kits cost around $1500 for a used ProCharger (cheaper if you're really looking around), or around $3,496 to $3,946 for a new kit directly from ProCharger (forgot exactly what Vortec was running at, but similar)
-can be installed with-in a weekend with basic tools

Con's:
-Need to upgrade exhaust to get maximum effectiveness
-Upgrade of pullies to get more PSI costs are high (only one on ebay as of posting is about $50 and isn't for the 3 rib on the V6)
-belt slippage is common on the V6 version due to the 3 rib belt system

-Turbocharger-
Pro's:
-easy boost regulation, cheap upgrades (simple spring on BOV) or manual/electric boost controller with more boost at the same cost as a pully
-includes exhaust work
-cheap centerfuges (used t3/t4's running around $300 rebuilt)

Con's:
-kits are usually custom made, not usually found used and thusly cheaper
-more welding usually needed (though some kits don't require it)

And I've probably missed both the good and the bad, but these are the biggies that I can think of the top of my head.

All-in-all, it's really what you feel is best for your vehicle. I personally plan to do a similar setup to Justin with the twin turbos, though I'm not going to be as ballsy and run 17 PSI on a stock block (though the 450 hp/475trq is mouth watering!)

Also, I havn't come across more failures on a turbo system than I have from a supercharged system, as long as you use common sense and take the necessary precautions, there should be no bigger strain on the engine from one setup over the other.

One a side note: There's also the arguments of superchargers being parasitic and turbochargers arn't, but afarid that this isn't entirely true. Turbo's still need the pushing power of the pistons to drive the exhaust through the turbine, however there is less of a notice because of the still expanding hot gasses helping the turbine to spin and utilizes the unused energy in the gases, but it's still present , afterall claiming that you can get gains with no use of power is physically impossible (for those inclined, the 2nd law of thermodynamics or a college level Calculus Physics book is a good place to start )

-Drack
Dracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via MSN to Warfire80
^ nice write up

Quote:
by Lawrence Bell
Show me a man who cannot bother to do little things and I'll show you a man who cannot be trusted to do big things
Warfire80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #17
Road Trip!

the thing with breaking stuff...its not a direct correlation with "forced induction=breaking stuff"

generally, you can gain massive amounts of power, for example, in N/A form, a 2.3L has what, 100hp, and with a turbo on it, it puts down 190hp, a 90hp gain isnt something small

now, take 90-100 horsepower add it to something thats built to handle 200hp or so, bumps it to say 300hp, you start finding the weak links in your drivetrain, many times, itll be u-joints, bushings, small stuff, but as you fix the small stuff, there isnt any give for the bigger things, and the bigger items break, and they will keep breaking untill you find a good combination of parts for your power level

this could be in anything, the engine assembly, the rear end, suspension, your underpants, even the body
Old 06-02-2005, 12:38 AM   #18

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to drew_shipley
Alright there are plenty of guys now with turbos on their 3.8s. Tuxmaskandy has made plenty of kits for people with nothing broken so far. You can easily have a complete new turbo kit (turbo, piping, intercooler, bov, wastegate, etc) for $3,500 (same as a new procharger). For the most part with a Turbo you will have a better powerband than a supercharger and you will make more power per psi than a supercharger.

Things you should not skip on would be a good dyno tune for the car after you install the kit and if you want to stay with the 7.5" rear than pick up a good set of rear LCAs (hard launches + wheel hop = broken rear... this will hapeen with a supercharger as well mind you).

Just to give you an idea of power. Andy just made a kit for Sai over on 3.8mustang.com. He's making 297 rwhp and 322 rwtq at 7.2 psi of boost. Here is the thread if you want more info http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119084
You won't make that kind of power with a supercharger at 7 psi.

CAI | Dual Exhaust | UDP | Steeda Tri-Ax | GT Swaybars
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/imag...ine=1103147012

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness
you don't have to have a flaming body kit to be modified.
drew_shipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:28 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
yes, definitely talk to andy. he knows his stuff
Old 06-02-2005, 09:56 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
but damn... $3500 is a decent amount of cash.... seriously. I hope he installs it for that too ... cause I don't know enough to put one on

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:38 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
but damn... $3500 is a decent amount of cash.... seriously. I hope he installs it for that too ... cause I don't know enough to put one on
thats generally just the kit

for 5.0's, heres kits going for 4,300, but they are everything youd need, and can put your car in the 11's, on a stock engine
Old 06-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
yeah, but I'd blow the engine before I got to the drag strip........ so wouldn't do me much good

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #23
Road Trip!

basically, these turbo kits are bolt ons, more involved than most bolt ons, but they are still bolt on kits, and they usually have everything set up in a "safe" manner, so you shouldnt have to worry about blowing it up unless youre stupid about it, or your engine is in need of help anyways, which in that case, you shoulnt be spending 4K on "toys"
Old 06-02-2005, 02:32 PM   #24

Send a message via MSN to bigboss Send a message via Yahoo to bigboss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99'sleeper
people tell me bout turbos and superchargers and tell me to get a turbo. so i am. but where is a good place to buy online for a turbo?
man i would love to put a turbo on my v6
bigboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:09 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
It really comes down to your preference of where you want the boost.. off the bat or at the extreme end of the rpm's. Personally I don't want anything to do with turbos. If you go the supercharger route I would recommend roots or twinscrew if you want the power on take off, (which i prefer). Or centrifigul which peaks toward the end of the rpms. I would go with the quick boost cuz I like burning someone at the light.

1991 5.0 lx conv. auto, black. Full saleen body kit, cold air intake, msd ignition, flowmasters, off road h-pipe, underdrive pulleys, trickflow intake, trickflow stage 1 cam, 190 lph fuel pump, 30 lbs injectors, 73mm mass air.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/gall...0632_thumb.jpg
saleen0027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:24 AM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen0027
It really comes down to your preference of where you want the boost.. off the bat or at the extreme end of the rpm's. Personally I don't want anything to do with turbos. If you go the supercharger route I would recommend roots or twinscrew if you want the power on take off, (which i prefer). Or centrifigul which peaks toward the end of the rpms. I would go with the quick boost cuz I like burning someone at the light.
have you ever driven a turbo car?

my car makes full boost from 2,800 all the way untill i shift, and i still get traction issues from a launch

you can have turbos that will spool up starting at 1,800 rpms, but run out of steam in the upper rpms, or you have one that spools later, and has more upper rpms, its not "turbo makes boost up high, supercharger makes boost down low"
Old 07-30-2005, 07:34 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStang99
my friend w/ a turbo 240 has a blown headgasket. But that was his fault I'm pretty sure. He got a new boost controller, and has "no idea" how many psi he was runnin.
your freind overboosted. he ran so much boost he lifted his head off and blew the gasket. i bet he doesnt have a boost gauge does he? i hate it when the dumb ones make the smart ones look bad. 240's suck anyways, i bet he thinks hes a master dorifto.

anytime you make more power than stock(especially when going from n/a to FI) youre gonna find out where the manufacturer skimped out and made weak ****.

though if i had a v6 i would twin turbo it with mitsu 16g or 20g. but then again i have a guy that does that kinda stuff for a living(make piping and ****) so making custom headers, piping, and oil feed/return lines wouldnt be that hard. but it would still be pretty labor intensive and take a good amount of time, thus why i got a car that comes boosted already, and i just had to make it a little better.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:36 PM   #28
I liek gramer
Legacy

Yeah, he drifts. but he's pretty good at it.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:22 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq
Re: Turbo on a V6 ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99'sleeper
people tell me to put a jet engine on my car. so i am... hahahaha

don't do something just because they told you it was a good idea. research it so you don't regret shiz later.
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:46 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

The site you all are going to is outdated. Go to tmaturbo.com (turbo kit for about $2500) He does know his stuff and is more than willing to help you with newb questions. I'm saving for the race kit I'll be buying in about june of next year. As far breaking stuff goes, You'll only break stuff if you don't know what to upgrade and if your a stupid driver. If your always hard on your car it doesn't matter if you have a turbo on it or not, you'll still break stuff. They look a little hard to install but it truly is a bolt on. If you have the time and patience, you prolly can do it yourself and save yourself a bunch of money. Also your first drive after install should be to tuner, no where else.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:17 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24

I have all of the torque I need to light the tires up off the line with my centrifugal blower

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang