Mustang Evolution Forum banner

omg the price

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  SpectorV 
#1 ·
the price of a supercharger that i found is 3489.00, thats more than i paid for my entire car. are there n e cheaper ones for a 98 3.8 v6?

#2 ·
Unfortunately that is pretty cheap for a new system. A vortech SQ trim 8-9 psi system is $3648.
Buying a used one is risky because you don't know the overall condition of it and if all the parts come with it.

Once you start considering supercharging your car, it's time to take a second and consider your options. That's a big step in the modification stages. You can't (you could, but shouldn't) just throw on a supercharger and go. It is smart and sometimes necessary to upgrade suspension, brakes, some engine and rearend components to handle the extra load of the power adder.

At this point, you should decide whether you want to spend this much money on your current car, or if you want to save that money and upgrade to a newer v6 or v8.

Also, how is the current condition of your car's engine. Is it reliable enough to withstand the extra strain given off by the supercharger, or will the internals give up and destroy your engine 500 miles into your supercharger. Then you're looking at either rebuilding or swapping engines after you just spent thousands on a supercharger and supporting mods.

I'm not trying to deter you from getting one, I'm just trying to help ya out by considering the options and consequences (good and bad) of doing such a mod. You don't want to rush into something and regret it later on.

#5 ·
thats not a horrible price, 05+ gt's have to pay 5-6k for a supercharger :)

build a 4.2L v6 engine (stroke your stock 3.8) with forged internals, ported and polished heads/intakes and a custom cam with bolt ons and well you will be around 250rwhp which will be more than a supercoupe engine but will cost you a bit more

and if the work is not done by a reputable business you will end up with junk lol

in the end you might be better off with saving your cash and selling your car for something else its all depends on what your end goals are.

#6 ·
wow. u huys really brought my attention to alot of things in this post. i never really thought about the condition of the engine. 153,000 miles on it (im guessing, cause my mileage meter stoped). i know that i would need the suspension upgrade, im pretty sure something would break. would a turbo be a better idea?

#7 ·
Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, they are all adding extra load on the car. Even with a turbo, you're going to want to upgrade some other parts of your car so you don't damage anything.

To be honest, if your engine has over 153,000 miles, and you didn't own the car for most of them, I wouldn't put any power adder on it. I would do like others have said and rebuild the engine (stroke it) and add then add a supercharger if you want. Ninethourpm is going to do something like that. He'll be putting out some impressive numbers.

#9 ·
Very long and tedious. If you do it yourself, that is. If you have a shop do it (which will cost you a lot more, a helluva lot more), the wait time would probably be between 2-3 months. I would personally do it myself if I were you. But, if you don't trust your mechanic'n skills, get a shop to do it. But make sure it's a trusted shop that has really good feedback...if you don't, you'll regret it.

#10 ·
a turbo will make more power as it takes no power to make power, a supercharger takes power from the engine to make power.

If your engine is questionable do NOT put a turbo/supercharger/nitrous on it. You have to build the engine to take the abuse.

A correctly built engine will probably run you 5k, then a power adder like turbo another 4k plus tuning and other this and thats, figure in another 2k~

but in the end after 11k you will have a v6 worth about 5k to someone maybe but it will have 400-500rwhp~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.