GT Eater - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2005, 06:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
GT Eater

I was wondering what mods I would need to be able to beat a stock GT mustang or a lightly modded one. I'm guessing that the V6s already have the weight advantage over the GTs?
cms09071987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2005, 06:22 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
give us some info on your stang and we'll be able to answer your question better

year, tranny, current mods, etc
Old 05-14-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
CAI, gears, chip, exhaust, ported upper, you think of it, it'd be nice to replace it. I can beat stock or slightly modded 94-98 gt's, still can't keep up with a 99+, but O well.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2005, 08:50 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois
Also what year GT's are you aiming at?
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 10:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark
give us some info on your stang and we'll be able to answer your question better

year, tranny, current mods, etc
Like the man said we need more info .
GT-Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:00 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

nitrous, gears, exhaust will put you with pre99 GTs easily. couple other mods will put you with 99+ GTs

There is weight savings, but the only weight difference really is the two extra cylinders. You have the same brakes, axles, trannies, suspension, interior, etc. Weight savings is about 100lbs.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:43 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
I'm at about 200 or so hp right now with my minor mods... so that's 60 away. If I did port and polish with a cam, I'd see that jump to about 250 (approximate). Chip and gears and stock 99+ GT's should be your's.... consider a 8.8" rear end if you want to race them though, so you don't sit there and do the one peel wonder

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
if you just want other kind of stuff that'll help.... under drive pullies.... obviously a super/turbocharger.... nitrous.... all that lovely stuff. I've got cold air intake and exhaust basically.... high flow air filter.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
I'm at about 200 or so hp right now with my minor mods... so that's 60 away.

but what about torque? That's where they get you. Hp isnt everything. You need a power adder to get their kind of torque. I also cannot see getting a h/c/i setup yielding 50hp. no plausible way on those cars. I can see 30-40max, but i would guess 35hp. not 50.

Sure you can beat a GT n/a if you wanted, but you will have to sink some money into it. new gears, posi, ported heads, cam, roller rockers, long tubes, duals, intake, cut/ported/welded upper (if single port), ud pulley (i guess ) new clutch/torque converter, shift kit (if auto), suspension work.

All to take it N/A. not worth it IMO. just put a power adder on and call it a day
Old 05-14-2005, 02:57 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
but what about torque?

Sure you can beat a GT n/a if you wanted, but you will have to sink some money into it. new gears, posi, ported heads, cam, roller rockers, long tubes, duals, intake, cut/ported/welded upper (if single port), ud pulley (i guess ) new clutch/torque converter, shift kit (if auto), suspension work.

Yep that is me minus long tube headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
All to take it N/A. not worth it IMO. just put a power adder on and call it a day.

I do think it is quite worth it if you have the desire and the ability to do it yourself. It is in no way cost effective to pay someone to do it. If are going to pay someone to do it Just sell your car and get a 96-98 Cobra or even a 99 Cobra then you can be in the fast lane and the cost to get more HP is minimal
Old 05-14-2005, 04:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It really depends on how much you are willing to spend ,you can do a H/C/I
and with a good dual exhaust you can give most a run for their money.Another way is to add a power adder ,Blower ,turbo,nitrous.
If you want to go over 8 to 10 psi on a boosted application then I would recommend a forged rotating assembly for durability .Nitrous is a very cheap way to gain both torque and Hp but the stock pistons don't like much over a 75 to 100 shot and it's hard on the tranny and rear end .
If you are going to go to the track I would consider a 8.8 first ,then aluminium driveshaft, 3.73 gears for a T-5 and 4.10's for a auto that will get you started then start planning a power goal 300 hp n/a is not that hard
300+ at the rear wheels is alot more expensive so decide where you want to be, save up and do it all at one time to save labor .
Old 05-14-2005, 04:22 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
I do think it is quite worth it if you have the desire and the ability to do it yourself. It is in no way cost effective to pay someone to do it. If are going to pay someone to do it Just sell your car and get a 96-98 Cobra or even a 99 Cobra then you can be in the fast lane and the cost to get more HP is minimal

exactly. Both a power adder and heads/cam combo are expensive to install. Do the work yourself and figure out the path you want an how much ultimate hp. you can afford
Old 05-15-2005, 09:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Well I know the older GTs aren't as quick so it wont take as much but I was aiming for the 99+ GTs. I have a 2003 5-speed V6 with dual flowmaster exaust (h-pipe) and a CAI.
cms09071987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms09071987
Well I know the older GTs aren't as quick so it wont take as much but I was aiming for the 99+ GTs. I have a 2003 5-speed V6 with dual flowmaster exaust (h-pipe) and a CAI.
Heads, Cam , Intakes and probably a power adder
Old 05-15-2005, 09:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to NJStang86
You should be able to get into the low 15s (15.2, 15.1) with the boltons (CAI, Exhaust, UDP) if you're a good driver.

Throw in a chip and a HCI combo and you'll give them a run for their money. If you wanna be sure to win against one in the 1320', then you should invest in some gears and a locker
NJStang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:12 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to chrismullins99
go with nitrous, gears, and the bolt ons and you should be able to atleast hang with 99-04 GT's
chrismullins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:22 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois
Bolt-ons, gears & a chip you will be in the 14's.

I am with an Auto.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:49 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24
Yeah, do as much work yourself as possible. I've saved a TON of money by installing just about everything myself. I've spent close to $8000 on mods. Now imagine if I had payed someone to install those!

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang