What to do what to do... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Exclamation What to do what to do...

O my...

This whole dual exhaust thing has been so ****ty. I didnt think it would b like that... My fault for not doin things the right way the first time tho.

First the exhaust wasnt installed properly... Then i had a leak... Arghhh so many things going wrong. The tips cant go any higher so i cant install a gt bumper. I fixed the leak today and it sounds a lot better but there is still a lil air comin out from where the pipe connects to the hi-flow cat.

Now i was thinkin on doin the followin:
Using the same mufflers and cats but deleting the x pipe... So i would have straight pipes all the way to the tips. I have heard its better... And sounds good. So no x pipe involved. That way the tips would b higher and the mufflers and cats would fit perfectly without leaking.

Ideas comments? Please help! Price?

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT
CHILE10_STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: What to do what to do...

Didn't you have a shop fix the mess up? If so, they should have been able to take the hanger off and weld it up higher.

But, as for your straight pipe idea, Kyle from here did that on his sixer and it sounded kinda crappy, but it could have been his mufflers for that. But he did loose several MPG by doing so.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I had a shop fix the crooked ness... Later i found a leak, i took it yesterday and picked it up today, its a lot better... But damn theres still a bit of air leakin. Im tired of takin it to get it fixed. They say the tips cant b lift higher because there isnt any more room, and its true. The one pipe that goes over the rear wheels axle doesnt go any higher so thats the reason. Going w straight pipes i think will make everything fit but i will wait till i get my gt bumper that way they can make it fit right.

I will use the hiflow cats i have and the mufflers i have. It should sound the same. Shouldnt b a big diff except for having straight pipes instead of an x pipe? Right?

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

are gt bumpers a bit longer? (top to bottom length) if so... then my tips will b ok

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT
Old 08-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILE10_STANG View Post
are gt bumpers a bit longer? (top to bottom length) if so... then my tips will b ok
I believe they are the same height, except where the cutouts are. The cutouts take the edge of the bumper a few inches up. If you are having issues with the axle pieces not allowing the tips to sit higher now...they probably wouldn't sit in the cutouts at all.

The tips don't look horrible right now, but if they do bother you later, you could always take them off and just dump the exhaust after the axle.

I think this would be your best bet, the only alternative would be to completely strip all the exhaust piping you have and redo it.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

in order to re-do it... where could i get new piping? its the part right before the tips, the one thats really curved and goes for the rear axle the one im having problems with. its really high so thats y the tips wont rise.

thanks for tellin me it doesnt look bad! i dont think it doesnt look that bad either. but the leak is bothering me and i would like to get a gt bumper.

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT
Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

Just dump the exhaust and be done with it. It'l be a little bit louder, especially if you have it lowered and a tad deeper hence the shorter pipe.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

So re-using my cats and mufflers is good... But having straight pipes will make it louder just a bit?

U guys think this is a good idea?
But i should get the gt bumper first... Right?

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT
Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yah, they call that divorced duals. I'd have a trustworthy shop run mandrel bent piping from the headers through the cats (hi flows you have) down to the mufflers, and over the axles, and out to the tips. It will be slightly louder than the x-pipe, but probably not in a bad way since you will still have cats.

This could be somewhat expensive since you'd pay for piping and labor to install. I'd only do this if you really can't fix your Pypes setup. It'd help if you can get the axle pieces to hang lower and allow the tips to sit higher...but you did say that it doesn't seem possible.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 08-14-2009, 01:11 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

If it were me, I would have just ran straight pipe from the headers to the mufflers and dumped it. But, my state isn't really anal on smog emissions and yadda yadda, so yeah.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:35 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

On my deul exhaust i had the same issue but mine have clamps i just pulled the pipes going over the axle together and that lowered the pipes and raised the tips
Billet fuel door, Daiblo 91 Tune, Xenon ram air hood scoop, MAC performance direct fit headers, 3" 304 SS Dual exhaust, hood pin appearance kit, Red l.E.D. underbody lights, Boy Racer rear wing, Helix power tower plus Throttle body spacer, ventvisor deflector, Aeroform chin spoiler, SVT 18" 9.5 45/255 frount SVT 18" 9.5 40/285 rear trire , GTO rear blackout kit, OEM rear splash guards, Steeda CAI, 8.8 rear axle with 3.73.1 LSD, killer Glass Hose, Smoked Window Louvers by GT Styling 35% Tenting on rear and side windows.
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

i dont see how you are having so many issues really. Unless the fitment of the exhaust is just that bad~ I know the stock rear bumper wont fit right with the GT kit but you can lower the tips with hangers and it should all be fine. The gt bumper is identical to the V6 it just has cutouts.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

the pipe going over the axle is one piece where there placed determines how high the system end up comming out the back
Billet fuel door, Daiblo 91 Tune, Xenon ram air hood scoop, MAC performance direct fit headers, 3" 304 SS Dual exhaust, hood pin appearance kit, Red l.E.D. underbody lights, Boy Racer rear wing, Helix power tower plus Throttle body spacer, ventvisor deflector, Aeroform chin spoiler, SVT 18" 9.5 45/255 frount SVT 18" 9.5 40/285 rear trire , GTO rear blackout kit, OEM rear splash guards, Steeda CAI, 8.8 rear axle with 3.73.1 LSD, killer Glass Hose, Smoked Window Louvers by GT Styling 35% Tenting on rear and side windows.
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Please don't put straight pipes on your car. Not only do they sound like ***, but you will lose horsepower, torque and fuel efficiency. Crossover pipes are used for a reason.

The scavenging effect caused by the crossover helps pull exhaust gases out of the combustion chamber. The more exhaust you get out quickly, the more fresh air you can get in. The more air you get in, the more power you make.

So... just say no to straight pipes.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:02 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

crossovers on an even fire engine are not needed to maintain balance, but I personally like using them~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yah, bbunt's right, I'd stay away from the catless straight pipes. I'd just use the catted x-pipe you already have. That way you'll maintain power/efficiency and be emissions legal.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good sounds good... Thanks guys!

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang