nitrous - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via AIM to charkelly9
nitrous

hey im looking into installing n20 late to mid summer... but first i would like to rebuild the 3.8 or put in the 4.2 stroker.. either way im looking into n20 and wanted to know all about it for a v6 '03 vert..im considering the mod for around a 75 shot.. is that safe on a stock engine.. and if i rebuild the engine heads/cam/intakes.. would it be able to hold a larger shot safely.. also general questions that i know are opinions.nvertheless.. wet kit or dry-im thinking wet only the high octane fuel seems kinda like a down side.. what would the complete kit with the opener/ bottle heater/ purge and everything cost?
and zimstang if i get all this i would be willing to pay you to help me install it... plus i would drive to lawrance

completely side note.. what shot would a '01 stock ****ty(base model) neon be able to run safely?>

thanks for everything
charkelly9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
http://www.mustangevolution.com/articles/nitrousfaq/

pretty much everything you want to know.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

almost everything.. but still what would that neon run.. and would a rebuilt engine hold a larger shot?
Old 05-17-2005, 08:06 PM   #4
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

No clue on the Neon, not sure if anyone else here would know either, I can't imagine it could take a lot, but I don't know crap about 4 poppers.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
awesome man, i have no problem helping you put it on...

The only other upgrades i could see you needing with a higher shot is a better fuel pump. I dont think youd need bigger injectors for the shots youd run on a 6, and i really wouldnt recommend going over a 100 shot on the split port, but yeah man... ill for sure help you put it on

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

thanks zimstang i pay you 20/ hr or whatever you want .. but first i have to decide about all the guages.. n20 pressure.. fuel pressure.... air/fuel mix... which do i really need for safety and how hard is the electrial for these wires?

zimstang could you possibly help with an 8.8inch rear install or other basic things like an entire suspension kit?
Old 05-17-2005, 09:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:13 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by charkelly9
thanks zimstang i pay you 20/ hr or whatever you want .. but first i have to decide about all the guages.. n20 pressure.. fuel pressure.... air/fuel mix... which do i really need for safety and how hard is the electrial for these wires?

zimstang could you possibly help with an 8.8inch rear install or other basic things like an entire suspension kit?
wow, I wish I was up in KC. I have done everything you're asking for install and could use the money

As for the original question, Like Zim said, don't run more than a 100 shot on the splitport design. The fuel actually starts to not disperse as well and will leave the outter 4 cylinders (corners) running lean. If you wanted to build an engine, then you would need to do direct port. That will be expensive as you will need to custom fabricate up nozzle brackets and whatnot.

As for guages, you will want/need a nitrous pressure guage. You can mount this on the bottle or up in the cabin. Either one. For fuel pressure. It is smart to have, but not necessary. As for air/fuel, don't waste your money. The a/f guages that you see most often are considered "narrow-band" wideband. They are often very inaccurate. If you splurge and spend about $500 and get a wideband O2 sensor and corresponding guage, then go for it. Would be beneficial, and you could get that instead of the fuel pressure. I always just ran nitrous pressure only. You can just buy a mechanical guages and that just screws on to a hose. No wiring needed.

For the neon, I would suggest a 75 shot as well. No more though. If you could find jetting for 60-65 shot, I would run that.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:37 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
ive seen neons run a 125, but thats probably much higher than the safe limit, and right on the edge

you can get a NICE wideband from AEM for 377, it seems like a lot of money on a gauge and sensor, but the accuracy and the help it gives with tuning is unbelievable, once im able to afford one, im definatly buying one for both of my cars
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

thanks so much guys i appreciate your help. I'll keep you informed
Old 05-18-2005, 04:40 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
a well tuned blower is much better for the car than n20, n20 looks alot cheaper but there are alot of little things... so it does add up. And a blower is constant dont got to worry about fililng up the bottle, and its NOT illegel on the roads.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

last i was checking out prochargers. they ran around 3600$$ plus tune and all the other hidden cost that are a necessity
Old 05-18-2005, 06:34 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

true they do run alot, you can even get a turbo for around 3500 also. You can do vortech and go used, you will get more power in the end and more reliable power at that. You push more than 100hp shot on a v6 you are going to be asking for trouble... and If you blow the car up and have to pay to rebuild it then in the end you will have invested more to have a n20 kit than a turbo

Just decide what you want to do, everythign has its good side and its bad side.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

thanks spectorV
Old 05-18-2005, 06:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
damn spect you couldnt crush his dreams anymore huh.

As for the nitrous get all the safety stuff do it right the first time believe me.

I personally feel nitrous is a good deal. **** I would have never ran my times in the 6-er without :yup:

But if you can find a shop that can hook you up on refills its worthwhile. I found it cheaper for me to stay on the juice.

But the downfall is once the bottle is empty your 0wn.T

but thats what a CF 15 lb bottle is for :yup:
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=bluemustang]damn spect you couldnt crush his dreams anymore huh.

As for the nitrous get all the safety stuff do it right the first time believe me.

I personally feel nitrous is a good deal. **** I would have never ran my times in the 6-er without :yup:
QUOTE]

haha he didnt crush my dreams... but yet made me look at my mods from another view... now that ive heard this im just gonna go about installing the 8.8tlok- bullit kit-chip.. all the other things that are kinda essential for the amount of hp/tq i wanna run in the future and then decide on the blower or no2... it is possible to do both right- NOT that im thinking about it!
Old 05-18-2005, 07:14 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you can definalty run both, running n20 with a blower really helps, you will see the temps drop a good bit from it... I wouldnt run both though you can get all the power the motor will handle from the blower alone.... boost doesnt really kill the motor its the bad tune the a/f ratio and how and at what rpm you have the boost.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

SO spectorV do you know of any used vortec kits..and if i bought one what psi would be running on a stock internal engine.. as opposed to forged internals. Also would i need to report this SLIGHT modification to the insurance agency? -- but if i dont get full coverage then it wouldnt make my insurance go up right? like only coverage for other ppl's vehicles if i get in a wreck
Old 05-18-2005, 10:08 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

dont worryabout insurance. they just wont reimburse you for it if they total your car.

get nitrous. Only if you go thru a ton of bottles each month, then it is more expensive than a blower. As for the vortec, then you would run 9psi non intercooled on stock bottom end.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

thanks monkey im gonna lookin into the blower for a bit then decide.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:05 PM   #21
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Ill defanitely help you install the nitrous, and suspension kit. Ive never done a rear end swap but Ill be more than happy to help you out. I have access to a couple lifts that would make life much easier, so we're good for whatever you want to do.

I like toys
Old 05-19-2005, 05:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

thanks zimstang ill hopefully see you saturday to discuss some further plans..
Old 05-19-2005, 06:51 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Mike - I have done a couple rear end swaps. I can give you easy step-by-step directions so you have something to go by when you do it.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
Mike - I have done a couple rear end swaps. I can give you easy step-by-step directions so you have something to go by when you do it.

brandon that would be awesome how do you get all this mustang info? also i talked to a place yesterday that said they had 8.8rears from 99+ for 750$ so i think thats will be my next or second to next mod. is 750 about as good of a deal as i should suspect to find.. just wondering but monkey your incrediably helpful when it comes to cars but why did you chill in the mustangs lounge when you have an evo.. the evo is badass i just thought it was different that your into stangs
Old 05-19-2005, 07:38 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

mike- did you part out your old sixer b4 you sold it? bc there quite a few parts i wouldnt mind buying from your old white car.. and did you sell the 6er bc you just found a good deal with the cobra or were you having problems with it/?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:07 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
brandon that would be awesome how do you get all this mustang info? also i talked to a place yesterday that said they had 8.8rears from 99+ for 750$ so i think thats will be my next or second to next mod. is 750 about as good of a deal as i should suspect to find.. just wondering but monkey your incrediably helpful when it comes to cars but why did you chill in the mustangs lounge when you have an evo.. the evo is badass i just thought it was different that your into stangs

I used to own a 98 automatic V6 stang that ran 13s. I sold it but accumulated a decent amount of knowledge having ripped the engine down and the drivetrain and whatnot. ( I used to port and polish intakes, did rear end swaps, nitrous, etc. I had a lot done to my v6 to get it to run almost 4.0sec quicker in the 1/4mi. it came 17.2 stock )

As for the 99 8.8.. I hope that comes w/ the gears of your choice, because you are basically paying $750 for the same gears and a stronger rearend with a limited slip. So -- $750 for limited slip. Is the place called "Midwest Mustangs" or something tlike that? They are overpriced. You can get an 8.8 out of any 84+ mustang (first year they made the 8.8) and it will be a direct swap. You can then get a set of 3/4" wheel spacers (3/4" on each side = 1.5" total space) and then it will look identical. When you find the pre99 8.8s, you will always be able to find them with the gears of your choice for usually $400 or so. Check out some of the bigger forums (corral, stangnet, etc)
Old 05-19-2005, 09:08 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
mike- did you part out your old sixer b4 you sold it? bc there quite a few parts i wouldnt mind buying from your old white car.. and did you sell the 6er bc you just found a good deal with the cobra or were you having problems with it/?
he found a deal on th cobra.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:04 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

yeah but wouldnt i have to rebuild a rear if it came off an 84.. think how old and how many miles X00,000 thousands would be on that rear.. now if i bought the 99 + i would have the location for dampers to install along with better gears.. wouldnt i save money not having to rebuild the gears and tlok and buy spacers...
Old 05-20-2005, 05:14 PM   #29
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Guys unfortunately I wont be at the lawrence meet... im in iowa right now and was planning to leave early tommorow morning, but as i was driving around my engine bay started smoking and getting really hot... turns out I fried my cooling fan's bearing it was just smoking from the fan, so its in the shop tommorow.

I like toys
Old 05-20-2005, 07:10 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
yeah but wouldnt i have to rebuild a rear if it came off an 84.. think how old and how many miles X00,000 thousands would be on that rear.. now if i bought the 99 + i would have the location for dampers to install along with better gears.. wouldnt i save money not having to rebuild the gears and tlok and buy spacers...

If gears are installed correctly, they don't really need to ever be replaced. You will need to change the gear oil, and if the bearings are bad, but that doesn't mean the rear is bad. I had a 98, and when I put my 8.8 in, I noticed my axles from my stock '98 rear had started to wear cause of my bushings. So who knows how the 99+s are holding up. The bearings in my 8.8 (from a 92) were still good.

It's all up to you on what you wanna do.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:41 AM   #31

Region: California
hi everybody ! my name is bryan and i am new here ! but i have been reading ALOT here and i learned ALOT ! tanx to all ! i have a 2000v6 with dial exhuast and a cheap ebay CAI ! about 2 weeks ago i was about to trade my car with a turbocharged 98 eclipse ! but last week my clutch went out and i had to pay 700$ to fix it including a brand new flywheel ! and in the week that my car was in the shop i realized that how much i LOVE my car like most off you , so i decided to keep it ! but i need more power out of this big lazy @$$ ! i read the whole power adder part and i guess procharger with intercooler is the way to go but it costs around 3600 $ ! so i decided to put some nos but i had some unanswered questions ! 1- what is the longest time that i can have my nos on ? for example it was said that a whole bottle runs for 1 min ! so what is the safest time to have it sprayed ? like 10 sec 20 or 45 ? 2- is it legal or not ? cuz i am gonna delete my back seat and install it inside ! and what if i get pulled over and cops see it ?and for a 75 shot , what are the parts that MUST be changed ? tanx so muchh
XTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 03:44 AM   #32

oh and i forgot this ! my engine has 93.000 mile on it but not abused ! so is it safe on a high mileage like this ?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:46 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTANG
1- what is the longest time that i can have my nos on ? for example it was said that a whole bottle runs for 1 min ! so what is the safest time to have it sprayed ? like 10 sec 20 or 45 ? 2- is it legal or not ? cuz i am gonna delete my back seat and install it inside ! and what if i get pulled over and cops see it ?and for a 75 shot , what are the parts that MUST be changed ? tanx so muchh
1 - no more than a 1/4mi worth -- 15sec
2 - depends on the state and the cop. I would not put it in the passenger cabin. Even if it is legal, cops then have suspect to search your car for illegal mods and whatnot. Keep it in the trunk
3 - spark plugs

three additional things -
1 - Read my article about nitrous:
http://mustangevolution.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12131

2 - why would you not buy the turbo'd eclipse? what year? (sorry, i've got a turbo'd mitsu so i am a little biased)

3 - spellcheck / grammar check. I see you're in America, means you had to have had some English class.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:31 PM   #34

TANX FOR THE INFO
AND I'VE BEEN IN USA FOR ONLY 6 MONTHS AND I HAVEN'T TAKEN ANY ENGLISH CLASSES YET .... AND ENGLISH IS MY 4TH LANGUAGE (FARSI, TURKISH, FRENCH) SO GIVE ME A BREAK ON THAT AIGHT ?
AND ABOUT THE ECLIPSE !! MY MAIN REASON IS THAT IT'S A FWD (GST NOT GSX)AND I LIKE RWD CARS! AND I DID MENTION THE YEAR !! AND I LIKE MUSTANG BODY STYLE MORE THAN ECLIPSE... NO OFFENSE THOUGH ! AND AGAIN THANK YOU FOR YOUR INFORMATION AND REPLY !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
nitrous