dual exhaust question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-22-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
dual exhaust question

Finally got enough money saved up to buy my tires and get them put on yesterday ! Anyway, while there the guys ran into a problem, the left rear tire was rubbing on my exhaust pipe (the right one had plenty of room). The reason for this is because it looks like whoever put this dual exhaust on just put it together with whatever they had laying around. It is just pieced together. Does this matter in terms of HP and how my car runs? i am looking to be able to complete "stage one" of the mods list by end of summer. We fixed the rubbing problem,by the way, by heating up the pipe and bending it in alittle.
stang-rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2005, 09:53 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
I'd say it depends how oddly it was put together, as well as the diameter of the pipe, and with this, mandrel bent or not... if it's like 2.5" exhaust tubing, you probably wouldn't lose much HP... a half a horse maybe? 2.5" exhaust flows A LOT for a v-6. I would definitely get the exhaust fixed so it's done right though... it seems weird that it has plenty of room on one side, and is rubbing on the other... It's up to you of course. Perfect cat-back exhaust won't net you much HP... it'll just let your other add-on's do more.. and let your engine breath. what do you mean "car runs"?

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

thanks, i do think i'll have it replaced. really bumped when i saw it, what kind do you suggest and how much do you think it will cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
well, the exhaust part of it isn't the important thing... really as long as it's stainless steel tubing... I don't believe generic is worse than top-dollar for the most part.... the only thing you may want to get is mufflers of your choice, and tips. This is what I did for my car the first time.... and it worked very well... I got some Magnapack Magnaflow mufflers, they're flow through mufflers, so you get optimal flow... they were $70 each, but I like them a lot. You can get whatever mufflers you want... you will need two. Then, I went to a muffler shop, and got a price on how much it would cost for them to build my exhaust. They said $50 for each side for tail pipes, and $10 to make it look all pretty, pretty welds and stuff.. since I had put the mufflers on and everything. I had it back to the rear axles... but it wasn't nearly as pretty as what they could do... so I said "yeah".... then, I went to a catalog they had, and picked my Stainless Steel exhaust tips. Make sure you get stainless steel. Chrome will corrode and rust through. Also, SS tips look pretty much just as good... after that, they will order them, they may also have them on hand. Then, I had them put an H-pipe in... cost $30. So my exhaust minus the mufflers, was pretty cheap. I would say it would be best to do nearly the same thing. Just have a muffler shop build your exhaust... make sure you check prices first though. Also, take the mufflers to them off your car.. as this will help them go over the rear axles... It shouldn't cost too much, and you don't have to do a thing. Also, most of them will stand behind their work... they'll also check for leaks, and it looks AWESOME when it's done. I am currently getting new exhaust done because I screwed mine up by going off the road this winter... but I'm getting HOT exhaust ... I'll post pics when it's done, and I have a digital camera

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 05-22-2005, 10:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

thanks again, i'll let you know how it turns out
Old 05-22-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

awesome.... if you're thinking of getting a GT rear bumper, you may want to do that before you get the exhaust work done... then the muffler shop can get the tips lined up properly

Old 05-22-2005, 10:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It really doesn't matter with the dual exhaust as long as they don't do a sh@tty job on it. I had mine fabricated from the headers back the only thing about this is if you want to change it and go with a H or X pipe later you will have to cut it instead of bolting right up.
Mustang anything else is just a wanna be
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9...n123/corn2.gif
Mjcorn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:35 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

also, I have a buddy that has some GT take-offs for sale... they have some nice performance mufflers with them too... I would've bought them, but I don't want to pay for the entire take offs when I just need tails

Old 05-22-2005, 10:36 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

the muffler shop charged me $30... installed, they broke a drill, it actually blew up in his hand.... parts flew everywhere.. it was great. They just drilled a 2.5" hole in the pipes and just put new pipe in between.. pretty simple

Old 05-22-2005, 11:02 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

okay, this may be a really silly question, but, it looked like there were two catalytic converters under there also. Is this right? I'm sorry but I don't know anything about exhausts, do I need two catalytic converters?
Old 05-22-2005, 11:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
There should be two cats yes if you want to pass an emmisions test you will probably want to keep them
Mustang anything else is just a wanna be
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9...n123/corn2.gif
Mjcorn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

South Carolina does not have inspections, they are there to clean the exhaust from the engine, right? Do they restrict airflow at all?
Old 05-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
it probably doesnt matter much but you can buy a gt take off exhaust for 120 bucks~ and just have it put on instead to solve the problem.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:59 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have a friend with GT take off exhaust for sale... more than $120, but it already has high performance mufflers on it

Old 05-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

how much, and what kind of mufflers?
Old 05-22-2005, 10:16 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to tedness
dual exhaust won't shine until ur forcing more air through from a power adder of some kind. compare the dyno numbers...but make sure it isnt crush bent.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:51 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

what's crush bent matter if it's 2.5" exhaust?... the v-6 will have trouble filling all that area.

Old 05-23-2005, 11:17 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
OK here is the skinny on Mandrel bent opposed to standard tube bending. On a stock motor not much at all only when you get into very high HP and power adders will mandrel show its effectiveness. Most of you guys are getting far worse flow with chambered mufflers than what is being caused by non mandrel bent pipes. Mandrel look pretty !!!!!

That is a fact
Old 06-03-2005, 12:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
If you have no emissions then I'd be all over an off road x pipe. As far as cat backs, I have a stock GT cat back that will be laying around as soon as the shop finishes putting on my flowmaster catback. $75 +s/h.

1991 5.0 lx conv. auto, black. Full saleen body kit, cold air intake, msd ignition, flowmasters, off road h-pipe, underdrive pulleys, trickflow intake, trickflow stage 1 cam, 190 lph fuel pump, 30 lbs injectors, 73mm mass air.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/gall...0632_thumb.jpg
saleen0027 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust