Why Is My Car Burning So Much Gas? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-22-2005, 02:31 PM   #1

NateTrain is unknown around these parts
Why Is My Car Burning So Much Gas?

Ok heres the deal. I live about a half hr from Tampa Florida. I drove to Busch Gardens yesterday (the new Shiekra coster sucks) and before I left I filled my tank up. The needle was just touching the full line. As I get there I notice the needle went down a bit.
Now when I left and was driving home my needle was down even more. By the time I got home I had just above a half of a tank.
I used to travel 90+ miles to and back so 180+ miles on a half of a tank of gas.
My car is a 6 and is an 02. It has only 27,000 miles on it. I changed my air filter and my plugs 2 months ago and threw in some fuel injector cleaner. I even stuck a tornado fuel saver in it.
Everything was fine until yesterday. I checked for leaks and I dont see any. What could the problem be? My fuel injectors?

Old 05-22-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

n8r is unknown around these parts
Well, for one thing, the tornado doesn't help anything at all, its just a gimmick. Other than that, I don't know of what to say, maybe you were on the pedal pretty hard the whole way?

n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Zim is unknown around these parts
180 on half a tank? You should feel lucky, my sixer got MAYBE 200 miles on a tank before i had to fill up

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:09 PM   #4

I didnt have my gas down hard. I was going 65 most of the time.
The fuel saver actually does work. Since I put it in I already saved a good $10-$15 in gas a month. I used to have a truck with it in it to. Its not a big help, but to me I see a difference.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:37 PM   #5
I liek gramer
Legacy

WhiteStang99 is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
^ If you say so man...

There's no way that thing helps you at all. Somebody will come in here in a minute and explain to you why it doesn't work, and you're gonna feel stupid.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

NorwegianMustang is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to NorwegianMustang Send a message via MSN to NorwegianMustang Send a message via Yahoo to NorwegianMustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStang99
^ If you say so man...

There's no way that thing helps you at all. Somebody will come in here in a minute and explain to you why it doesn't work, and you're gonna feel stupid.
Where do you want me to start man?

Maybe can tell you that the tornado twirl will stop at the first of many bends maybe
Old 05-22-2005, 05:57 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

MarkuzLS1 is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwegianMustang
Where do you want me to start man?

Maybe can tell you that the tornado twirl will stop at the first of many bends maybe
Or that when air enters the plenum, it stalls (so it sure won't be spinning). Since the plenum is before the injectors, it's impossible for it to be mixing your air/fuel mix. All a Tornado does is place a restriction in the intake path.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

NorwegianMustang is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to NorwegianMustang Send a message via MSN to NorwegianMustang Send a message via Yahoo to NorwegianMustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1
Or that when air enters the plenum, it stalls (so it sure won't be spinning). Since the plenum is before the injectors, it's impossible for it to be mixing your air/fuel mix. All a Tornado does is place a restriction in the intake path.
Or that
Old 05-22-2005, 08:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ponycarman is unknown around these parts
first mistake is trying to figure fuel mileage based on the fuel guage reading.

You have to fill the tank and divide the gallons into the miles traveled. Anything else is a WAG.

Next, gimmicks like the tornado, just say no. How you can say it's saved you $10-15 a month is beyond me. You'd have to properly figure mileage both before and after making sure the tests are as close as humanly possible in order to make any conclusions. Your savings in money could have been from less miles traveled, different gas formulations or even a change in the price of gas. Wihtr out documented numbers it's easy to miscalculate things.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:51 PM   #10
Regular

Brent is unknown around these parts
It is IMPOSSIBLE for the Tornado to save fuel.

There is no way around it. It just can't happen. Not trying to put you down just stating a fact. I don't know how you managed to save the gas but it had nothing to do with the Tornado.

I'll bet my new engine on that
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

STEVE is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
It is IMPOSSIBLE for the Tornado to save fuel.

There is no way around it. It just can't happen. Not trying to put you down just stating a fact. I don't know how you managed to save the gas but it had nothing to do with the Tornado.

I'll bet my new engine on that
god i hope you are wrong that way i can win your engine in that bet.
all ****ing around aside, the tornado imo may bring performance down it is simply a restriction in the intake system.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:29 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

stangin99 is unknown around these parts
Brent you want to loose you engine

The reason why people see an increase in MPG with a tornado installed is the fact that it is causing enough of a restriction that the car uses less air, and then uses less fuel. So yea, it kills your performance and slow the car down, but you're using less gas

and I'd kill for 180 miles on half a tank.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:12 AM   #13
Regular

Brent is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangin99
Brent you want to loose you engine

The reason why people see an increase in MPG with a tornado installed is the fact that it is causing enough of a restriction that the car uses less air, and then uses less fuel. So yea, it kills your performance and slow the car down, but you're using less gas

and I'd kill for 180 miles on half a tank.
Prove it
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:50 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

jimmy_beaner is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
****, I get 210 miles for a half tank..... gotten to 440 before e light before. Went from Souix? City, Iowa, to Winfield, Iowa in full to e.... the car gets awesome gas mileage.... and that was fully loaded with my 270 pounds, my dad's 280ish... my bro's 260, and supplies for a 3 day trip........ poor car.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:58 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Danger Dude is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Well it has all been said. The tornado or any other swirly device on a car other than carburated is useless and a waste. 180 on a half a tank is super. I have never gotten more than 340-360 on the interstate when I was bone stock now I get around 300 on a tank on the interstate as long as I keep it below 80-85mph but my current engine mods
Old 05-23-2005, 10:04 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
I go 70 on the interstate... seeing as how the speed limit is 65 .... speed demons... wanna get better gas mileage OBEY the law and even I'm breaking it technically, lol

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 05-23-2005, 02:07 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

SrATEX is unknown around these parts
**** i get 180 on half a tank...but i also have a 33 gallon tank

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:53 PM   #18

I did document it. I tareveled the same amount of miles for 2 months and figured gas prices into it. Hey maybe its just me. I dont really care. The damn thing didnt cost me anything. All I care about is finding out why why car is buring more gas all of a sudden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponycarman
first mistake is trying to figure fuel mileage based on the fuel guage reading.

You have to fill the tank and divide the gallons into the miles traveled. Anything else is a WAG.

Next, gimmicks like the tornado, just say no. How you can say it's saved you $10-15 a month is beyond me. You'd have to properly figure mileage both before and after making sure the tests are as close as humanly possible in order to make any conclusions. Your savings in money could have been from less miles traveled, different gas formulations or even a change in the price of gas. Wihtr out documented numbers it's easy to miscalculate things.

Steve
Old 05-23-2005, 04:45 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

lowflyn is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I have an 02, best I could ever get stock was 25, I put on exhaust, and got 27, now, the best I get is 24. I normally get 17-18 around town. And I run around 80 on the highway, no matter the speed limit.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:45 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

worst I've ever gotten highway is when I was driving into a 45=50 mph wind. I got 27 miles per gallon... I drove for 4.5 hours, so yeah, kinda easy to divide the trip odometer by the gas I put in... which is close enough for me. Best I've gotten is 31 mpg.

Old 05-23-2005, 08:10 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

lowflyn is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Most of my driving is mixed though, have only gotten 1 tank of pure highway miles, and that was 28, before I chipped.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

stangin99 is unknown around these parts
as of lately the BEST I've gotten was 23mpg.

the 5spd gives me a little better gear in 5th compared to the auto's 4th so hopefully I'll see some more mpg on the highway.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:15 PM   #23
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

n8r is unknown around these parts
haha you guys all complain about 20 mpg, I am lucky if I get 15 lol, but I still LOVE IT!
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:52 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

SpectorV is just getting started.
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
fill up the car totaly, reset the trip meter, drive until the low fuel light comes on then fill it back up take how many gallons it took to fill it up and how far you went and figure out your MPG just dont go by what you get on half a tank or what not, do it this way to get your mpg and see if its where it should be.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:48 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Kyle is unknown around these parts
you also have to take into consideration that the fuel tank is only 15-16 gallons. so 180 on 8 gals = 22.5 miles/gal. which isnt bad at all. yeah ford advertises a little higher, but the only way your gonna get that is if you keep the car under 2k rpms AT ALL TIMES
Old 05-24-2005, 08:14 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Danger Dude is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04stang
you also have to take into consideration that the fuel tank is only 15-16 gallons. so 180 on 8 gals = 22.5 miles/gal. which isnt bad at all. yeah ford advertises a little higher, but the only way your gonna get that is if you keep the car under 2k rpms AT ALL TIMES
Exactly the closer you get to 3000 rpm the more fuel you burn. You might check your plugs. Even though you changed them there could be a problem with one of them. I was at a dyno one day and had put in brand new plugs and lost 8 hp it ebnded up being a little piece of metal about half the size of a tip of a ballpoint pen sticking up on the outer ring at the end of the threads. It was causing the spark to jump to it instead of the electrode. Pulll your spark plugs back out and check gap and arch marks on the ceramic's.

What plugs did you use
Old 05-24-2005, 08:54 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Ponycarman is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTrain
I did document it. I tareveled the same amount of miles for 2 months and figured gas prices into it. Hey maybe its just me. I dont really care. The damn thing didnt cost me anything. All I care about is finding out why why car is buring more gas all of a sudden.
Got the numbers then? Cause, again, basing it on the fuel guage reading is not precise or accurate.

a loss in fuel mileage could be a dirty air filter, dirty throttle body, dirty maf, a vacuum leak, a gas leak, an ignition problem, a change in oil viscosity, a change in oil pressure. It could be a lot of things, but first we ought to figure out if ther is a problem.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:07 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

did it just start using more gas or are you wondering why its not been getting better milage all along?
Old 05-24-2005, 09:45 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

dude, I get 26 in the city when I'm not on it, and 30-ish on interstate.... running 2100 rpm

Old 05-24-2005, 11:38 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

how are you guys calculating your mpg... please tell me you are not just driving to half a tank and then just taking half of your gas take size and using that with how far you went... or something like that.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:30 PM   #31

Yea I changed my plugs and my filter. I was getting great mileage after I did it since my plugs were bad before and my filter was dirty.
I just noticed on sat that it was buring gas like crazy. I mean in 2 mins I could see the needle go down. I kept my eye on it and just watched it go down more as I drove home.
I really dont think I have a gas leak. I got underneath and didnt see anything nor did I smell anything. Didnt even see any liquids on my engine. I'll take the advice on taking the plugs out. I did check to make sure the wires were secure so unless all of sudden something happend to the plugs I dont know.
I'm using platinum plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
did it just start using more gas or are you wondering why its not been getting better milage all along?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang