Thinking about a cam - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2005, 09:50 AM   #36
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
OK here is the problem here. We can have a intellectual debate here or we can flame which will be closed. I am going to jump in and say a few things. We have different camps here hawking certain products. We will all be decent or I will go on a locking spree. We will be decent to one another and provide useful information. There is more than one view or theories on performance. This is not a right or wrong debate but a who is better. We will not go there. State your factual based claims and be prepared for others to do the same. This will not be a crap on the other guys products or I will institute bans.

Be decent or dont be.

Thanks Corey

Old 06-03-2005, 09:55 AM   #37
Legacy Member
Legacy

Oh here is my video from Team Ford in Marietta GA Superchip SCT tuning with Jerry. The quailty is not super great but it is decent. I need a new clip with my BV head because the car is deeper sounding now
Old 06-03-2005, 10:23 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
OK here is the problem here. We can have a intellectual debate here or we can flame which will be closed. I am going to jump in and say a few things. We have different camps here hawking certain products. We will all be decent or I will go on a locking spree. We will be decent to one another and provide useful information. There is more than one view or theories on performance. This is not a right or wrong debate but a who is better. We will not go there. State your factual based claims and be prepared for others to do the same. This will not be a crap on the other guys products or I will institute bans.

Be decent or dont be.

Thanks Corey
I just read this thread and it seems to me to be a spirited debate more than Flaming ,I don't think Matt is in the Cam selling business ,so no agenda there .Looks like opinions were being expressed which is going to happen
in a debate ,also I didn't read anything about anybody putting down anybodies product ,just questioning some dyno numbers ,LOL happens to me all the time ,anyway just my 2 cents ,I'm a nobody on this site so I probably
don't count anyway .
GT-Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2005, 10:55 AM   #39
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Eater
I just read this thread and it seems to me to be a spirited debate more than Flaming ,I don't think Matt is in the Cam selling business ,so no agenda there .Looks like opinions were being expressed which is going to happen
in a debate ,also I didn't read anything about anybody putting down anybodies product ,just questioning some dyno numbers ,LOL happens to me all the time ,anyway just my 2 cents ,I'm a nobody on this site so I probably
don't count anyway .
Actually whether they sell directly or represent a certain cam or part company it is all the same. It is about being decent and not getting into flames or bashing other peoples product. I did not say it has gotten to flames. My post is more pre-emptive than anything

Just be decent and keep debate civil!!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 11:07 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
my personal opinion, fwiw, it that a bg overlap, long duration cam with that lopey rumpity rump sound is old school. You'll give up a lot if that is your number one goal. Fast ramp speeds, moderate overlap and wider LSA's are a better bet for a car that is almost exclusively street driven.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:08 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Fair enough Just hate to see you guys get like 3.8 , everytime someone expresses a view that the moderators don't agree with they click the lock thread button .
Old 06-03-2005, 11:15 AM   #42
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Fair enough Just hate to see you guys get like 3.8 , everytime someone expresses a view that the moderators don't agree with they click the lock thread button .
I have yet to ban anyone and I rarely lock stuff unless a all out flame war breaks out. I believe in healthy debate and believe all theories deserve to be heard. Like I said there are many camps represented here and all are welcome. I desire ME to be a informative and open board where people can express there theory without bashing or flaming. Open minds and freedom to explore only expands the abilities and promotes further development of V6 products.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:20 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Glad to hear that I am a Moderator on two sites and an Admin on another
and that is my view as well.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:43 AM   #44
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois
Gary,

You are a valuable resource to our hobby, not a nobody.

2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:45 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Kirk I really appreciate that
Old 06-03-2005, 11:52 AM   #46
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
yes, down with flaming
my only job on this forum.... is to flame ricers. But not on this forum, on random places we find them. Some times, I might have useful info for members too... but rarely

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #47
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by white95v6
hey 97stallion. what all done to your car? besides a 4.2L and a cam. just wondering. cause i would think with the Godfather working on it. it would make alittle more power????

just looked at your homepage. and yea looks like that power is on the low side. with a home ported set of heads and intake with a few backyard tricks. and a smaller cam with stock headers and a stock Tb. my low compression turd made more HP and TQ.

guess the Godfather needs to take a few lessons from the young guns.

don't get me wrong RGR has done some good work. and knows a few tricks. heck we used to talk alot about somethings. but he is no godfather of the ford v6 performace.
Actually it is tuned by me, but the problem is that I'm still N/A and you're blown. The upper intake can't hold that much air without the help of a blower like you have. So I'm working on that part and trust me it will all come together in the end, but right now my biggest problem is the upper intake.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:22 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Stallion
Actually it is tuned by me, but the problem is that I'm still N/A and you're blown. The upper intake can't hold that much air without the help of a blower like you have. So I'm working on that part and trust me it will all come together in the end, but right now my biggest problem is the upper intake.
Actually Matt Has a Turbo ,I'm the one with the T-trim.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:39 PM   #49
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Actually Matt Has a Turbo ,I'm the one with the T-trim.
Either way, you're still forcing air into the intake manifold which basically means you have an endless suplly of air. Being N/A like moi, my engine can only get as much air as fast as it can suck it in. Having a small intake and a rather small throttle body, my engine's sucking abilities are extremely limited. You can definately see it in my dyno. From about 3000-4000 it pulls good but almost right at 4000, the power band starts to level off and by 5000 i'm done for. A bigger intake and a 65mm TB will solve this problem.

Old 06-03-2005, 02:15 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Tom's race car runs 260/260 N/A, he has a stock winstar upper on it
His superheads on it so about the same type of heads and he runs nitrous through it also, seems to have plenty of air ,and he has a split port so more volume to fill with the extra runner. TB make very small difference in airflow
on a N/A engine ,I believe Matt still has his stock one on ,and it's not hurting him and he's running a turbo.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #51
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Tom's race car runs 260/260 N/A, he has a stock winstar upper on it
His superheads on it so about the same type of heads and he runs nitrous through it also, seems to have plenty of air ,and he has a split port so more volume to fill with the extra runner. TB make very small difference in airflow
on a N/A engine ,I believe Matt still has his stock one on ,and it's not hurting him and he's running a turbo.
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I have a SINGLE port intake, and it's TOO small for my 4.2L engine. For a 3.8 it was fine, but now I need more air now because of the larger cubic inches.

Old 06-03-2005, 04:48 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Matt can make you a Boxed upper No problem
Old 06-03-2005, 05:30 PM   #53
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have been working in my secret bat cave on a large sheetmetal plenum attached to the stock single port upper runners and Crossover tube.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:44 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to white95v6
ok i was not trying to put RGR or 97Stallion down in anyway.just to clear that up.

aslo i can give my input but RGR and I think alot alike when it comes to cam specs for a engine.

also Rob. i was talking about my car when it was N/A. i know that having a turbo makes it a whole different world. remember this is not my first go around with a v6. i had the same modded stock upper intake and stock 95 Tb. so i was in the same boat as you are with the intake and TB.

also the boxed plenum welded to the stock upper has been done before. RGR made one a few yrs ago for a customer of his.
WWW.DELKPERFORMANCE.COM
white95v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:21 PM   #55
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Matt can make you a Boxed upper No problem
I'mnot looking for a box upper intake, I'm designing a whole new intake that actually uses some sort of science behind it. And besides I can make my own box upper if I wanted no problem. That's my job in the Air Force. I'm a airframe structural craftsman (so I basically deal with sheet metal), but not on boxes, on planes!

Old 06-03-2005, 10:58 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

lol i don't think i would make another intake. it was alot of work. mine is kinda ugly and not too much science into it. but the one that Gaston and Tom Y built have alittle tech built into them.
WWW.DELKPERFORMANCE.COM
Old 06-03-2005, 11:15 PM   #57
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have a full High tech Aerospace Machine Shop at my disposal like nothing most people have ever seen so I am working on different size boxes and will test them to my car. I also have a laser imager and measure at my disposal so I can get the parts down to less than 1/10,000th off on the dimension
Old 06-03-2005, 11:18 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a full High tech Aerospace Machine Shop at my disposal like nothing most people have ever seen so I am working on different size boxes and will test them to my car. I also have a laser imager and measure at my disposal so I can get the parts down to less than 1/10,000th off on the dimension

Sweeeeet!! just keep in mind that when you build a plenum it needs to be atleast 50% of the engine displacement. and most engines like more plenum volume than 50%. mine is like 5.7L if i remember right. so i built it alot bigger than the engine displacement. Tom Y and Gaston also did this.
WWW.DELKPERFORMANCE.COM
Old 06-04-2005, 10:17 AM   #59
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

As do I, BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 06-05-2005, 06:19 PM   #60
Legacy Member
Legacy

he's another of my car. On the second part keep in mind my speedo is 15% off so when my speedo says 90 I'm doing 103mph

Old 06-05-2005, 10:16 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

why have you not fixed the speedo?? is a cheap speedo gear and it will be right. what are they $20 or so.
WWW.DELKPERFORMANCE.COM
Old 06-06-2005, 12:12 PM   #62
Dan
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to Dan
Quote:
I'mnot looking for a box upper intake, I'm designing a whole new intake that actually uses some sort of science behind it. And besides I can make my own box upper if I wanted no problem. That's my job in the Air Force. I'm a airframe structural craftsman (so I basically deal with sheet metal), but not on boxes, on planes!
Haha... mr air force, I cant wait to see your sheetmetal intake put together with rivets and screws I dont think ive ever seen welded sheetmetal on an aircraft before besides spot welds of corse.

just messin with ya, i helped design the super six upper and there is a lot more science there than you might think. fact of the matter is high horsepower engines dont need fancy runners and designs they just need lots of flow and volume. fancy intake design is just a way for car makers to squeeze a few more hp out of their hurting setups. Fast cars use big open intakes
My 3d Modeling Portfolio
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:16 PM   #63
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Haha... mr air force, I cant wait to see your sheetmetal intake put together with rivets and screws I dont think ive ever seen welded sheetmetal on an aircraft before besides spot welds of corse.
Dude modern Fighter Jets have quite a lot of the skin areas plasma welded. Rivets dont hold up to the stress of todays fighters.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:04 PM   #64
Dan
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dude modern Fighter Jets have quite a lot of the skin areas plasma welded. Rivets dont hold up to the stress of todays fighters.
I know the fighters just as good if not better than you guys do. Last month I spent a full 2 days stuck in an engine inlet working. Ive gotta measure, sketch, photograph, document and create 3d models of every single part on these things Thats my job...
My 3d Modeling Portfolio
Old 06-06-2005, 01:08 PM   #65
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
I know the fighters just as good if not better than you guys do. Last month I spent a full 2 days stuck in an engine inlet working. Ive gotta measure, sketch, photograph, document and create 3d models of every single part on these things Thats my job...
OK if you think so I guess you forgot what I have been doing since before you were born!!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 02:58 PM   #66
Dan
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OK if you think so I guess you forgot what I have been doing since before you were born!!!!!
you still havent said exactly what you do... i know plenty of airforce guys that never even get to see fighters up close.
My 3d Modeling Portfolio
Old 06-06-2005, 03:22 PM   #67
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
you still havent said exactly what you do... i know plenty of airforce guys that never even get to see fighters up close.
He's said it a few times
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:33 PM   #68
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Ya if you think so. My job is basically kinda like being a structural engineer, but I don't just design parts, I actually make them, install them on to the aircraft and paint the aircraft. When you see a pretty plane, that's my handy work, or one of my co-workers. So if you know these planes/jets better than me, you have quite the knowledge and I work on multiple airframes. I work on at certain times up to 10 different airframes my my knowledge isn't limited to fighters. But then again, I've been doing this for 8 years and Corey's been doing something like this for 20+ years.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #69
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Quote:
Ya if you think so. My job is basically kinda like being a structural engineer, but I don't just design parts, I actually make them, install them on to the aircraft and paint the aircraft. When you see a pretty plane, that's my handy work, or one of my co-workers. So if you know these planes/jets better than me, you have quite the knowledge and I work on multiple airframes. I work on at certain times up to 10 different airframes my my knowledge isn't limited to fighters. But then again, I've been doing this for 8 years and Corey's been doing something like this for 20+ years.
Until they can make a true Transparent paint that will reflect the colors BEHIND the jet at any given point of vision, no matter what color you paint it, it'll still stick out like a sore thumb
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:41 PM   #70
Dan
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nobodys gonna win this one so poo on you! I bet I get to play with more red targets than you guys tho cause they are a lot more important for ATR systems.
My 3d Modeling Portfolio

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang