Newbie with a question. Go figure... :) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2005, 08:51 AM   #1

Region: Indiana
Newbie with a question. Go figure... :)

My 2001 v6 auto has developed an idle issue that i did not see described in the archives (I tried finding the answer through a search first).

When the car is first started while cold, the idle runs up to about 2k before settling to ~1.5k rpms. Once I put it into drive, it drops to about 800rpms. It drives fine and once warm the idle (in park) hovers at about 1100 rpms which is still a little high.

My first thoughts are the idle controller (where is it?), a vacuum leak (less likely), or TPS (even less likely).

What do you guys think?

TIA,
Daniel :patriot:
streck-fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2005, 10:59 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
A TPS would more often act up all the time. With out knowing more it could be a vacuum leak but my bet is the IAC Idle air control. The problem going away when you put it is frive is a good indication of a IAC problem. The 99+ drivers side valve cover has a problem with sucking up more oil vapor into the air intake and gets thing pretty grimy inside. Youcan take the IAC off and clean it with carb cleaner and reinstall it.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:23 PM   #3

It doesn't really go away when put into drive. It seems that the increased load causes the idle to drop because it will return to ~2krpms (when cold) if put back into park.

I will look at the IAC when I get home. Where exactly is it located?

Thank you for the response.

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
-P. J. O’Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
my 01 is also odd when it comes to idle, I do have a manual so mine also acts up. Some things to try:

1) Usually your idle bypass valve wont cause this, it will just NOT let the car idle and it will die when in neutral or what not... but its a cheap part and easy to swap. If you look at your upper intake you will see this item on the passenger side next to the firewall, bolted to the intake, its cylinder shaped and the cylinder is nearly mounted side ways.

2) Clean your MAF wires especially if you have an aftermarket air filter... and especially a week after you have re-oiled your aftermarket air filter, then again after a month. Use on contact NO RESIDUE electronic cleaner, get it at autozone or radioshack.

3) Try resetting the computer by taking the negative battery terminal off and then tapping the brake a few times let it sit 30 min to be sure (doesnt need to if you are in a hurry a couple does fine) then crank it let it idle for 3-5 min then drive it normal and hard then normal and let it sit for 3-5 min at idle and turn it off. See if this helps.

4) The idle decay rate is controled by the computer its what causes the rpms to slowly drop vs drop like a rock, mine every now and then will get stuck.... aka the rpms will stay way high at a given rpm and wont come down, in this case the mine fixed its self, but yours may not. To fix you can get a chip set to recalibrate the idle decay rate and what not but its probably the most expensive out of any of these to fix.

start with the maf wire cleaner then the idle bypass valve first.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:43 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Mine idles a little higher at park...but goes down. I dunno what it did before the chip, but I'm sure it was all changed.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:40 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. I'll check those out! :thumbs2:

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
-P. J. O’Rourke
Old 06-01-2005, 11:20 AM   #7
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to RGR
Good to see more INDIANA peeps on here!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang