Divorced duals or H Pipe? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Divorced duals or H Pipe?

I have decided to do dual exhaust this Friday. I know I don't need a an H Pipe but I want to know opinions on which one I should go with. Divorced duals or H Pipe? What are the pros and cons of both on a V6?

Also, I have a stock catback from a Mustang GT with Flowmaster's and on the tips they already have the hangars welded to it. Will the hangars cause a problem if I dont have a GT bumper? I want to keep the bumper for now so I want to hang them below the V6 bumper.
a3705872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Divorced duals or H Pipe?

a V6 does not require any sort of balancer pipe to equal out the exhaust flow since it is an even fire motor vs a GT's odd fire motor. I would use the GT catback, have a shop fab up the connection (preferably a bolt on solution so you can remove it if you need to get to the transmission). You can buy dual exhaust adapters taht they weld in then the GT catback just bolts up.

the exhaust hangers will have to be adjusted since you do not have a GT rear bumper. The tips will then look pointed down (bad) but a future gt rear bumper and resetting of the tips will fix this.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
a V6 does not require any sort of balancer pipe to equal out the exhaust flow since it is an even fire motor vs a GT's odd fire motor. I would use the GT catback, have a shop fab up the connection (preferably a bolt on solution so you can remove it if you need to get to the transmission). You can buy dual exhaust adapters taht they weld in then the GT catback just bolts up.

The exhaust hangers will have to be adjusted since you do not have a GT rear bumper. The tips will then look pointed down (bad) but a future gt rear bumper and resetting of the tips will fix this.

Does one sound better than the other? Also, can I buy new tips and longer hangers to correct bumper clearance or is this they way all V6's will look with dual exhaust and V6 bumper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

well on my 01 v6 I had a custom stainless steel exhaust made with 2.25 pipe no balancer (H, X, etc) and then i went back and had a balancer put in to see if it made it deeper~ not really. It wont hurt anything but its not needed.

If I was doing it now I would probably get a dual exhaust adaptor and have it installed then buy a GT catback and just bolt it up. All dual exhaust adapters ive seen have an h pipe on them.

When I did my tips I did not have a GT catback. the way to make it look good in this case is two parts
A. Buy long tips 2.50-2.75 inch in diameter no bigger (3 is to big) say 24 inches long by 2.75 (at least 22 inches long). I personally would ONLY do stainless steel for tips. If you go chrome and you are asking for trouble.

B. Have them installed such that they angle UP (repeat: angle UP) you do not want them angled level with the ground as the visual effect the curve of the rear bumper has makes them look pointed down. Angle them up a few degrees and it really sets it off. You can look in my album at pics of my 01 black v6 there may be some pics of my exhaust.

If you plan on doing a GT rear bumper you can go up to a 3 inch tip to fill in the hole maybe even 3.5, this changes things as you wont need the super long tip and such and you really dont angle them up in that case
Old 08-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
well on my 01 v6 I had a custom stainless steel exhaust made with 2.25 pipe no balancer (H, X, etc) and then i went back and had a balancer put in to see if it made it deeper~ not really. It wont hurt anything but its not needed.

If I was doing it now I would probably get a dual exhaust adaptor and have it installed then buy a GT catback and just bolt it up. All dual exhaust adapters ive seen have an h pipe on them.

When I did my tips I did not have a GT catback. the way to make it look good in this case is two parts
A. Buy long tips 2.50-2.75 inch in diameter no bigger (3 is to big) say 24 inches long by 2.75 (at least 22 inches long). I personally would ONLY do stainless steel for tips. If you go chrome and you are asking for trouble.

B. Have them installed such that they angle UP (repeat: angle UP) you do not want them angled level with the ground as the visual effect the curve of the rear bumper has makes them look pointed down. Angle them up a few degrees and it really sets it off. You can look in my album at pics of my 01 black v6 there may be some pics of my exhaust.

If you plan on doing a GT rear bumper you can go up to a 3 inch tip to fill in the hole maybe even 3.5, this changes things as you wont need the super long tip and such and you really dont angle them up in that case

So I can use the catback I have, I just need to get them to angle the pipes up more and switch to longer tips, right? Why is stainless steel better than chrome tips?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

When I had my duals installed I had the shop bend the pipes for the dual exhaust tips to match the stock look of the single v6

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

on a GT catback they may not can angle the tips due to how the pipe is made that loops over the axle. You may have to just live with them pointed down as they will be.

Chrome rusts fast when it comes to exhaust tips, stainless will not rust and can be polished up if they become scratched... chrome can not.

Back in 01 I had my v6's exhaust custom bent, it cost me 300 included two flowmaster mufflers. It will be more now probably but should not be much more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang