Mustang Evolution Forum banner

changing automatic transmission fluid

10K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Horse 
#1 ·
Hi I have got to change the automatic transmission fluid on a 1995 3.8 v6 mustang. The dip stick end which should tell us what fluid to use has been broken off. Does anybody know what fluid we should use. Have been told it might be Mercon V or just Mercon. Does either of these sound right??
Cheers

Also does anybody know how to turn off the 'check engine' light??

#3 ·
its mercon V or VI (NOT mercon/dextron III I dont think)

get a scan to see what the issue is.

some say on high mileage auto transmissions that have never been changes its bad to change them and can make them start slipping, just fyi

#6 ·
I've always heard the horror stories about once you drop the pan, you'll never get it to seal off and it will leak. I ended up letting a tech at some jiffy lube type place use that machine that changes it without dropping the pan. They say you manage to change more fluid that way, but you also don't get to change the filter.

#8 ·
How many miles are on the car? Has the transmission been serviced before?

If it hasn't been serviced in 75,000+ mile then I do not recommended flushing. You could probably get by with a filter exchange.

The transmission gets debris and build up and once it gets to the point to where the seals only work becuase the transmission is so dirty then if you flush it you will lose seals and all your pressures will go crazy and the transmission may start slipping, shifting gears irratically and roughly. The flush is the best way to service a transmission as it gets all the fluid in the vehicle changed and the filter usually only changes the screen and about 5 quarts of fluid (your new filter just becomes dirty again).

#9 ·
If you drop the pan and change the filter, you'll add in 5qts or so of fresh high detergent fluid that to the other 10qts or so of old worn out fluid. That's likely to just stir up any crap that's in the system and cause problems. Flushing, in my experience, is far less likely to kill an already ailing tranny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.