Having issues with my v6...any help appreciated - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Having issues with my v6...any help appreciated

Hey all, I currently drive a 2002 V6 with 96,xxx miles on it, auburn posi unit in the back with 3.73 gears, short throw shifter, CAI, and a tune to change the speedo for the gears as well as eliminate the gov., and safely change the a/f ratios.

Anyway, the last 2 years, especially during summer, I would get a check engine lite on my dash. Brought it in and the code was for a cylinder head overheating. When the car was looked at, everything was fine, so the code was cleared and I took it on my way. Anyway, the code has tripped about 3 or 4 more times over the course of 2 years or so. I have checked everything: the cooling fan stays on, Coolant is always full and does circulate, changed the thermostat, made sure there was no air in my lines etc... Again, everytime I have brought the car in nobody can find any problems with the car. Also, the car seems to run fine and the temp. guage never goes up.

Anwyay, I recently moved back to MN from Kansas, so I took my car on the 8 hour drive to MN with no problems. Anyway, Long story short, I was driving aroudn on a hot summer day in MN (yes, we actually have those) and the lite came on, but this time the temp guage went up to red....still the car ran fine. I stopped the car and started it back up right away and the temp guage went right back to the middle of the guage and looked normal, but obviously the lite was still on. Took the car in again and all the readings were fine. Had my buddy clear the light and gave me some things to cehck if it happended again (cooling fan and what not). Car was fine for a few days and then after r long drive in stop and go traffic, the temp guage started to go up. Right before it got into the red I parked it and let it sit for a few hours so the light wouldn't come back on. I took the car in and had them drive the car around and try to get the temp guage to go up over half way and they couldn't. THe only thign we found was that the radiator cap wasn't holding the correct amount of pressure. I changed it, made sure there was no air in the lines, and took it out. Car has been fine. Only thing I noticed was yesterday the temp guage started creeping up a little past normal (about half way up) and almost got to 3/4 of the way up, but then went back down to half way up the guage like normal as I continued driving for a few minutes and again th car always drove fine.

Anwyay, sorry for rambling on, but I am stummped as to what this can be. Any ideas as to what this could be or has anyone delt with this before? Any help is appreciated!
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Having issues with my v6...any help appreciated

it could be a faulty sensor~ as the stock temp gauge sucks for the most part. You could try a better gauge and see what readings you get~ it might be the water pump, thermostat, etc
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

to me it really sounds like a thermostat issue, have it checked. i had this problem with other cars too. but like spector V said, water pump, thermostat, ect ect.
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

Try this:

Performance Thermostats by JET at StylinTrucks.com
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well, was driving around again today, (3 days after I replaces the radiator cover) and it happened again. This time, the temp guage went up and 3/4 of the way up and the check engine lite came on. this tiem the a/c stopped working. After about 10 more minutes of driving, the a/c kicked back on and the temp guage went back to normal levels......strange. Could I be looking at a head gasket problem? With the kind of fluctuation it seems like it could be the case. I replaced the thermostat last summer, so i doubt thats the issue. Hopefuly I am wrong and it's water pump or sensor issues, lol.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if you had a headgasket issue you would see your car smoking and such as it burned the coolant. Since its fine then gets hot then goes back to find it does tend to sound like a thermostat issue of it not opening when it should. Try to listen for the T-Stat to click open regularly if it starts to get hot you should hear the t-stat open if its not open then... there is your issue
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well, my buddy who was working on it in the shop called me. He could not get anything but a good reading from the temp guage (he had a diagnostic tool plugged in and was reading from that). He said the temp guage on the dash never went up. It was gone up twice in the last week for me...again, went up then back down to normal..strange.

So, he is sure the car is not phycislly overheating (again, he never got the guage to go up above normal readings) and seems pretty sure that its the collant temp sensors on the head (like on an above post) but wants me to get a second opinion because he doesn't want to charge me the 350 it would cost to replace it all and not have it be the problem.

He drove it for about 30 miles today and, like I said, never got a bad temp reading. What he did have happen is this: When he got into stop and go traffic at the end of the drive the car stalled about 10 times before be got it back to the shop. I never had this happen to me and the tech driving it around yesterday never had this problem....does this shed any lite on the subject to any of you???
Old 08-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

take out the thermostat and stick it in a pot of boiling water on the stove and see if it opens
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

great news....sort of....They found the cyllynder head temp sensor was broken and they replaced it! Now.....the car is tossing aroudn another code! Worst part is...it's a code for a automatic tranny, lol. Anyway, car has been keeping high rpms even with the clutch in, lol. I come to a stop and the rpms stay up around 3k for a few seconds, then goes back down to normal. lol. Code isn't causeing the check engine light on, but it is annoying....probably a CPU or tunign problem....

Also, to add another kcik in my ***, I get home, go to roll the window up, and the driver's side window doesn't work now.... very unhappy day.

It makes me want to upgrade my car to a V8 even faster now, lol. Which brings me to this deal I found. 2000 GT, 5spd, gray leather interior, 38,000 miles from an auto retailer/wholesaler around my home town. Thing is, they only want 10,900 for it, lol. Never seen winter. Here is the add

Bedrock Motors of Rogers | 2000 Ford Mustang 2dr Cpe GT | 1FAFP42X1YF143612

What ya'll think?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp782 View Post
great news....sort of....They found the cyllynder head temp sensor was broken and they replaced it! Now.....the car is tossing aroudn another code! Worst part is...it's a code for a automatic tranny, lol. Anyway, car has been keeping high rpms even with the clutch in, lol. I come to a stop and the rpms stay up around 3k for a few seconds, then goes back down to normal. lol. Code isn't causeing the check engine light on, but it is annoying....probably a CPU or tunign problem....

Also, to add another kcik in my ***, I get home, go to roll the window up, and the driver's side window doesn't work now.... very unhappy day.

It makes me want to upgrade my car to a V8 even faster now, lol. Which brings me to this deal I found. 2000 GT, 5spd, gray leather interior, 38,000 miles from an auto retailer/wholesaler around my home town. Thing is, they only want 10,900 for it, lol. Never seen winter. Here is the add

Bedrock Motors of Rogers | 2000 Ford Mustang 2dr Cpe GT | 1FAFP42X1YF143612

What ya'll think?
im not the most qualified to say this like other members......but...GO FOR IT! go get that V8 bro, stop spending money on the v6. dont make the mistake i did....although i love my car but again i wish somone had pushed me to trade it in or sell it to get a v8, id be maken like 500 hrs today! lol
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Foudn the problem....cyllynder head temp sensor was broke.....
Old 09-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Too much. Poke around TCS. Seems like a lot of people dumping well kept cars cheaply lately.

Or for two grand more, there's a 2000 GT that has a Stage 3 Roush set up swapped in (SC'd 4.6L) on fnsweet.com in the classifieds. Way more bang for your buck.

FnSweet Forums Roush Classified Ads For Sale: Roush Mustang, Roush F-150, Roush Parts - 2000/2001 Roush Stage 3 Mustang - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
2000 Roush #5004 M112'd V6
1970 Mach 1 351W 5 speed swap
2001 Explorer Sport 4.0L
LilRoush is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang