Leaking Exhaust Manifold? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Leaking Exhaust Manifold?

Hey Guys,

I ran the car through state inspection, and they told me that the exhaust manifold is leaking. The leak is on the drivers side, around the front bolt. The one that is black in the picture is the one that it is leaking around.
Is this something that I can fix myself? I hoping its just the gasket? I took it to Firestone and Mienke and got quotes around 400 to 450 to fix it. Its a 2000 3.8 v6 stock engine.

Thanks
Steve
00vertstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00vertstang
Hey Guys,

I ran the car through state inspection, and they told me that the exhaust manifold is leaking. The leak is on the drivers side, around the front bolt. The one that is black in the picture is the one that it is leaking around.
Is this something that I can fix myself? I hoping its just the gasket? I took it to Firestone and Mienke and got quotes around 400 to 450 to fix it. Its a 2000 3.8 v6 stock engine.

Thanks
Steve
Dude the gasket is pretty durable. It could be a crack in the manifold. But either way fix it yourself. The gasket is only $30 at the most and you can pick up a Manifold on the forums for cheap. It is very easy to remove and replace. All you do is remove the 6 nuts and remove the 2 nut down at the collector under the car. 2 hour job for the entry level mech and about 45 min for the experienced mechanic
Old 06-01-2005, 12:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Dude the gasket is pretty durable. It could be a crack in the manifold. But either way fix it yourself. The gasket is only $30 at the most and you can pick up a Manifold on the forums for cheap. It is very easy to remove and replace. All you do is remove the 6 nuts and remove the 2 nut down at the collector under the car. 2 hour job for the entry level mech and about 45 min for the experienced mechanic
Corey,

What is the best way to approach this. Can I just loosen the bolts and pull the manifold back and replace the gasket. How can I tell if the manifold has a crack in it. By the way the car has 94,000 miles on it. Thank you for the quick reply back!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Have you ever used a Dye Penetrate and developer. You could take it to a shop and have them check for cracks or many manifold cracks can be seen by the naked eye. You might be able to move the manifold far enough without taking lose the collector nuts but it would be much easier just to losen the collector nuts to give more wiggle room
Old 06-01-2005, 01:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Id seal it with ultra copper while I was there to ensure no leaks whatsoever but thats just me.
Bassini O/R X Pipe
FRPP Adjustable Clutch Cable
UPR Extreme Triple Hook Quadrant
UPR Extreme Firewall Adjuster
Ford 11"Clutch Conversion
C&L MAF
WMS CAI
Aluminum Drive Shaft
95 V6 Vert: 4.2L swap, Trac Lock, Light Cam, Mac Shrorty Headers, More to come.
AlmostN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #6
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostN8
Id seal it with ultra copper while I was there to ensure no leaks whatsoever but thats just me.
Good idea...

How did that modular build go Almost?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR
Good idea...

How did that modular build go Almost?
Another dumb question? Can I use the ultra copper to fix the leak and or crack if there is one? Do I need to pull off the exhaust manifold to replace the gasket?

Thanks again for all your help guys?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:34 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Actually while the car is cool get a small spray bottle fill it with 20% dish soap and 80% water have someone turn the car on and immediately spray the manifold at the heads and find the leak. Do it rather qiuckly because once the maniflod is hot the solution will evoporate faster than you can get bubbles. Ultra copper is a cheap quick temp fix but you want to fix it right especially on a 2000 car. Maniflods are cheap used if it is even needed. Gaskets are less than $30 and quick to change.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:16 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh
I dunno, I had a lot of trouble with my headers...I have reinstalled them 3 times but they just keep leaking after a week or so. New gaskets everytime and I use that copper stuff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust