Noob questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2005, 01:56 PM   #1

Noob questions

First off I'm a noob to cars, I've driven a truck for the past 6 years and my dad took care of all the maintenance. I'm reading up on how everything works, but overall I don't know a whole lot about cars. Anyways, I've got a stock 2004 3.9, and have some basic questiions:

1) I don't race, but what can I beat (just in case )? Eclipse, 240's, hondas, toyotas, etc.

2) Are there any mods that won't decrease my gas mileage much? My future line of work doesn't pay all that well so I'm looking to keep my gas mileage up there a little, but wouldn't mind modding some
bryanscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois
Well performance mods will affect your gas mileage based on how you drive.
Depending on what you do. Some of the basics like exhaust, CAI, even gears should not make a big change unless you drive it harder now that it will be more fun.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Well you honestly can't beat too much, but you can take the stock honda's. LOL As far a modding wise, are you sure you want to modify your car. Having a 2004, you're still under warrenty and certain mods if not all will null and void your warrenty. But if you decide to do so, I would definately just do the basics. Dual exhuast will give you a better sounding Mustang. An Underdrive pulley will definately increase your gas mileage and hp at the same time. And a CAI will do the same. When I had just those mods on my car a long time ago, I was getting 33mpg. Now I'm getting only 25-26mpg on the highway. But if you'd like, PM me or LMK somehow and I can give you a price quote for each of the items.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Stallion
As far a modding wise, are you sure you want to modify your car. Having a 2004, you're still under warrenty and certain mods if not all will null and void your warrenty.

That would be wrong.

The only time a mod can cause a warranty rejection is if, and only if, it either is a direct cause of the failure OR if the aftermarket part fails itself. In other words Ford isn't gonna replace, in example, your aftermarket throttle body if the aftermarket throttle body failed.

Nor are you likely to get your engine replaced if you blow it whilst running a turbo setup.

However, Ford cannot legally reject a warranty claim for a failed MAF if you are running non-stock gears, for example.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
They have to proove that the modification you did caused the damage to the car. Some dealerships are still very anal about this and will make all kinds of very outlandish claims to void the warranty... so check out the dealership first... you could fight them of course and what not but in the end you will have spent more than fixing it yourself.

Go talk to your dealership and see what they say...
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:50 PM   #6

Good idea, hadn't thought of the warranty thing. Throw out some more beatable cars. Mainly wanna know if the 3.9 could beat a 96 240sx or a 2001 eclipse, both stock. What's a CAI?
bryanscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:45 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponycarman
That would be wrong.

The only time a mod can cause a warranty rejection is if, and only if, it either is a direct cause of the failure OR if the aftermarket part fails itself. In other words Ford isn't gonna replace, in example, your aftermarket throttle body if the aftermarket throttle body failed.

Nor are you likely to get your engine replaced if you blow it whilst running a turbo setup.

However, Ford cannot legally reject a warranty claim for a failed MAF if you are running non-stock gears, for example.

Steve
I understand your point Steve, but I'm just letting "junior" know the worst case scenerio and a dealership fought not to replace a damaged or broken part if they saw something under the hood that wasn't factory like a chrome CAI. That mod alone brings alot of attention to itself being that it's chrome and not stock. And we all know a CAI will hardly be the direct result of almost any damage, but some companies will find a way to link the too.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Send a message via AIM to NorwegianMustang Send a message via MSN to NorwegianMustang Send a message via Yahoo to NorwegianMustang
CAI = Cold Air Intake

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang