Radio HELPP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Radio HELPP

i took my radio out and now theres a whole there, i need help. I dont know what too put thereee. i want a shelf so i can put my cell phone and wallet. Right now theres a big whole where my radio was. HELPPP
Stang61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Radio HELPP

You just decide no more radio?

lol, what year car and which bin is empty, top or bottom?
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i have a 1998 mustang convertable and its the bottem one, thankss i need help lol bc i dont want to have girls come in my car and see the wires from the car showing bc i have a hole where a radio used to be haha. So anyy help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

HELP!!!!
Old 08-29-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Metra part# 88-00-9000 available at any audio parts store and quite a few auto part stores. It's a universal DIN pocket that will snap right in.

In fact
Metra 88-00-9000
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

wow your ****ing great man, thank you. Now where can i get one of these for cheap, you think best buy would have it or like and advanced auto parts?
Old 08-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Best Buy should definitely have it. I know that they used to but I do not know their current inventory so the model number may be different, or they may have it packaged differently under a different model number to reflect BB own brand. If one person in the Dept. looks at you weird ask one of the guys in the bay. Describe it or show a picture if you have to. Make them use their computer and think a little.

I forget if it was in Advance or Autozone but I saw that product and a few others in their "car audio" section. I've also seen the kits in Pep Boys. The truth is any one of these stores should have it or be able to order it for you. Again they might list it as a different model number.

They should have Metra's original part number on file though. It comes down to Metra makes the product but will package it up differently depending on what store it is being sold at to make it seem like it is the store's own brand.

Local mom and pop stores again should carry the part number. It is very common to have so even the tiniest stores will know the part number.

Expect to pay $20 +tax on it. You can also try to find one on eBay or perhaps someone is getting rid of there's, but that you will have to look for on your own since it's a bit more of a long shot. The part may also be packaged in a larger set or a more universal set but all you need are the pieces for the the model I gave you. All the kits should cost the same so don't try and get squeezed for more money because of one.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 08-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

thanks man your a great help i just went to aveune sound and they said they were gonna order it i got it for 20$ , the only thing is i hope it just clip in and fits right in bc the guy there was being very shady and was like ill order it for you or not and i was like will it fit and he goes it should and i was like if it dont what happens and he was being wack but w.e and sick car btw and i live right by jones beach myself . but again thanks i looked all over found it for 20$ and i should be set, lol now installing it is another issue hahah.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I kept glancing at Ave. Sound and was thinking "Is this guy from L.I.?" But you already answered my question

I used to install for both Best Buy and Avenue Sound, I'm assuming you went to the one in Freeport and talked to Vic? (Vickas)? Short chubby indian guy? Unless they used a bunch, I know they had a few in stock up to a few months ago, doubt they got rid of all of them, then again there is the small chance it was.

Eh, don't mind me I just have my own personal issues with them. They can do very good work but to me they're not worth it.

So where about do you live? I live right off the Wantagh so it literally took me like 5 minutes to get down to the toll booth, jump out grab a few quick shots and hop back in. Levittown, btw. It's nice to see more NYers on here, I'm keeping tallies to compete with them Baton Rouge fellas
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 08-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

yeahh im rihgt off the meadowbrook. and yeah they guy was telling me for him to put the shelf in hed charge 35$ i was like ill do it myself even tho idk how to do it. i also bought a tweeter from there for 15 and sounds great. now all i need to do is replace my roof in my convertable top bc i just bought the car last months and little to find out that it leaks in the rain. im having notihng but problems so far but i see a great upside to the car lol. So putting this pocket in wont be hard you say? and whyd u leave ave sound
Old 08-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You said the car is a '98, correct? So you have the new radio on top and the factory radio underneath it which is now useless? Just getting up to speed here.

You'll get a bag with a bunch of different pieces in it and a sheet of instructions that will tell you. You can probably also see them at Metra Electronics as well. But it's real simple:
You take the specified tabs for the car and screw them into the pocket (type of screw maybe specific and will be supplied in the kit). The tabs are labeled for the correct side and the pocket is as well, so test fit everything first then screw it all together. Then there is a specific ring that snaps on the front, just be careful because it's a tight snap and the small tabs break very easily. If it does snap, or just to reinforce it you can do a ring of hot clue around after it's snapped together. After that the whole pocket assembly just snaps into the empty cavity.

I left because the owners just drove me nuts and treated me like ****, it was a part time job and they expected full time hours, gave me busy work, gave me a hard time for everything and paid me horribly. The guys I worked side by side with were great but that family I couldn't stand. I could complain and complain for days about that place so don't mind my bias.

There's always an upside to these cars. A friend of mine is in the process of completely redoing a foxbody, the interior is either brand new or painted and done over. The rag top sounds like a great project. Not only great but a lot of work, time and expensive, but I don't have a vert so I don't know the work involved. To me it would be a great learning experience though. If you want you can check out Auto Mat in Hicksville I think they do new tops and if it's the same place I'm thinking of. Of course I don't know how much they will charge but it's nice to keep the idea in the back of your head.

How bad is the damage? Do you need just a roof patch? A whole new top? Did someone rip into it to break into the car or something? Or is it just a fitting and sealing issue? Maybe replace all the gaskets and rubber which will always be a lot cheaper.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 08-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

i wish it was somtihng i could do on my own but that would never happen. the damage is pretty bad. Again i just bought the car last month and i was told it was a leak but its more than a leak it gets on my back seats and even into my trunk. so getitng it done is a must . i took it to a place in baldwin and the owner was an ******* and i was told ppl have had problems there so im not going there i havnt heard about this place in hickville but i will check it out. its going to cost me over a grand but its somthing that i have to do. it is a 98 mustang.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Absolutely. Now that we're in hurricane season and the winter coming up. My car is a daily driver, I don't know about yours but if it is too then you'll definitely want it fixed soon too.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 08-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

yes it iss, thats the last thing i need done, beisdes when i bought the car it has a little miss paint on the back bumper so i need to buy a little paint and the visor mirror is cracked but thoes things wont be to expesnive. and after that im all said and super happy!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

okay so i order the metra universal pocket i got it and went to install it today and it did everything correctly and its to small and didnt fit in. it was to small. so i dunno what to do is there any other options or anything . damm im really bummed out
Old 09-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

How is it too small? Did you use the correct trim around the pocket. You have to use the really bulky one since that's what keeps it from sliding all the way in.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 09-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Angry Re: Radio HELPP

yeahh man its too small. i used all the proper things and it didnt fit. How u said it clips it it just slide right through. haha so now im still back at point 0
Old 09-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Can you take a few photos? Of the spot it is supposed to slide into and the actual pocket?
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 09-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

i took pictures sorry this is delayed but idk how to put them in this thread to be honest and once again thanks for all this help man.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you can probably go to a pull a part junk yard and find a 94-00 mustang V6 most will have the main head unit and no cd player (especially pre 99s) and you can pop it right out.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I might have an extra kit lying around I will try to put together and compare.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 09-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

wait why did you take the radio out? lol
CAI with turbonator, Blk Cobra Rims(17x9frt, 10.5r), Plate BLKNES, Internal+external blue neons w/music interface, Blk MUSTANG letters r.bumper, Alpine Flip Out deck,(4 Rockford Fosgate 120RMS speakers, 4 way RF 600RMS Amp, 12" Audiopipe Sub 600RMS w/custom box, Mono Kicker 600RMS amp, kept mach tweeters), Blk Grille Mustang, Halo Headlights w/10K bulbs, SCT 9600, flowmaster dual exhaust. Soon to come; Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 gears with TLOK.
Blkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

It should be the following trim that snaps on the front of the pocket to help keep it in place. I took some other shots of the kit just so yo get an idea of how it should be put together and the end result looks like. It wasn't permantly assembled, just kind laid next to each other to get an overall idea.

Also I think Best Buy markets their own product under their Dynex brand (as well as the G.S. and Insignia brands, but the Dynex for accessories).

Errr.. nevermind, apparently I deleted them or saved them somewhere else. I'll try to find them.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang