when should you do a cam? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2005, 02:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sublime782 Send a message via Yahoo to Sublime782
when should you do a cam?

Hey, I got a 2002 V6 stang. 5 -speed manual, magnaflow exhaust and I'm waiting to get 3.73's and a t-lok into my car along with an SCT chip. Anyway, next on my list is some UDP's. Question is, when should someone start thinking about a new cam???
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2005, 06:57 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois
It all depends on the following.

What are your plans for your car and how long do you plan on keeping it.

You can do just a cam but it along with ported heads & intakes will really be a nice addition.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 07:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
well, since a set of 3.73 gears is gonna make your motor spend more time in the upper rpm ranges and the stock cam falls down there I'd say about the same time as the gears, imo.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2005, 08:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Yeap ,like Kirk said do the cam heads and intake ,then a new tune you'll see a nice increase .it's all about the flow .LT Headers with those mods really puts the icing on the cake .Make sure when you get your cam you get plenty of exhaust duration ,split ports love it.
GT-Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:01 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Wether you are a do it yourselfer or going to pay someone to install the cam, I would never consider doing a cam unless I was also doing heads and intakes. A cam designed to be used with stock intakes will show minimal gains compared to a complete package. For example the 94-98 3.8 has really restrictive intakes and heads so getting a larger cam without doing a head or intake upgrade is not even worth the time. The 99+ V6 engine does breath better and could see some improvements with a better designed cam because the stock cam is rather weak, but even here I would also do the heads and intake work for better power increases.

When ever you do engine upgrades it is much better to look at the complete package that to piece part your mods simple because you couild find yourself spending more money trying to get it right. Many people have paved the way testing and tuning for there to be packages available for the particular performance desires and budget you have in mind.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:16 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
When ever you do engine upgrades it is much better to look at the complete package that to piece part your mods simple because you couild find yourself spending more money trying to get it right. Many people have paved the way testing and tuning for there to be packages available for the particular performance desires and budget you have in mind.

You will also see yourself doing the same work twice if you do this piece by piece. This is also why many people recommend you do all the mods at the same time.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:09 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh
Believe me, you don't wanna go through the process of changing a cam, then deciding you want heads 2 months later. You have to do a ****load of work as well as the cost of little stuff you neveer think about. Like coolant, oil, powersteering fluid, assembly lube, tools you need but don't have, and little stuff that happens on the way.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sublime782 Send a message via Yahoo to Sublime782
Thanks for the info guys. At the moment I have a direct bolt on magnaflow, CAI and soon to have 3.73's and an auburn posi. Honestly, I don't plan on doing anything else other than a set of UDP's. Looks like unless I decide to go crazy, a Cam won't be in my immediate future, lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang