My 2.3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2005, 10:22 AM   #1

Region: Virginia
My 2.3

Could anyone tell me where to go and what parts i would need to hook my 2.3 up. I know its not a good idea, but its my little car to have fun with before i leave for the military.
Logik225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2005, 10:22 AM   #2
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
What do you mean hook it up? Get it running or modifying it?

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:28 AM   #3

Modifying it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
turbo it, thats the best way. Google 2.3L turbo and you will find a good bit...they have ran 9s before so you can have alot of fun.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
turbo it, thats the best way. Google 2.3L turbo and you will find a good bit...they have ran 9s before so you can have alot of fun.
:yup: SVO did great things with the 2.3T. I dont know what was done to the motor as far as the bottom end and stuff, but those cars have been known to be quite quick.

I like toys
Old 06-11-2005, 11:38 AM   #6

alright thats cool, thanks guys, and if theres anyhting else thatll pump this thing up, tell me
Old 06-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
well, turbo'ing it is no easy task, because the factory 2.3L engines are build specifically for it, the heads are a bit differnet, the pistons are forged, and dished for 8.1:1 compression, the blocks have a bung for the oil return for the turbo, theres quite a few differences

just to mod it a bit, you can easily do basic mods, intake, exhaust, ignition timing (depending on year), gears, and things like that

what year is the car, automatic of 5-speed? some more details and i should be able to help more

my friend does have a chip for a 2.3L stang he's looking to sell, ill see what he wants for it also
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:58 AM   #8

Its an 89 5 speed, thats what i plan to add was a cold ai intake with a new exhaust and ignition system, its just finding the items is whats getting me.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #9
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Im sure MSD makes an ignition system that will work for you... as far as CAI's and stuff, I wanna say that RGR has at one point custom made a CAI for a 2.3L. Id try PMing him and see if he knows anything about them...

I like toys
Old 06-11-2005, 12:18 PM   #10

who is RGR?
Old 06-11-2005, 01:14 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
If you have experience with swapping engines and a little bit of wiring know-how, I'd recommend swapping in a 2.3 Turbo engine from another car (SVO, Turo Coupe, or some Mercurys). These engines can be found quite cheap and with a rebuild on the turbo can be quite reliable. You could probably get the complete engine for $500-600, which is about how much you'll spend on some of the mods others have recommended.

But if you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself, the basic mods such as exhaust, gears, ud pulleys and CAI are going to be your best bet. Just don't expect huge gains out of the 2.3, especially if it's pre-91.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:24 AM   #12
Road Trip!

ill try to get the info on the chip my friend has, its a Diablo Sport for a 2.3L, but sometime in the run, they swapped to a DIS system, so not all the chips work for all years

if you look around ebay, you might be able to find a header for the car, a few years back (probably quite a few), there was a long tube header available

as for the cold air intake, it wouldnt be hard to make, since most of it is a straight shot to the fender, and i dont think that year was a MAF setup

you oculd always get into porting, and things like that too
Old 06-12-2005, 10:57 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Bane-
id say swap in a turbo coupe or xr7 motor, then start porting/polishing and all that fun stuff.

tbird 89 was the 1st year for maf, my car missed it by like 3weeks
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:51 PM   #14
Road Trip!

4 bangers are a different case
Old 06-14-2005, 06:50 PM   #15

I think ill just get a new clutch, new exhaust, new air intake, and ignition system for now. Just gotta find em, or build em myself. And is it also true that mustang 5.0 or GT parts will fi a 2.3L?
Old 06-19-2005, 06:06 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
A lot of 5.0 parts will fit a 2.3 but it just depends on what parts your talking about. As far as I know nothing engine related is interchangeable. However, many of the suspension / brake parts will probably swap over, at least with a little work.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Re: My 2.3

I have been there with the 2.3 NA engine and it is not fun, well not as fun as the turbo 2.3http://www.turbotbird.com/

http://projecthp.ford23.com/turboswap2.html

http://turboford.org

If any of these links dont work, forgive me, I suck at teh intraweb. The turbo 2.3 is a lot of fun, but I spent quite a while looking for parts in IA and was only able to find 85 and 86 Tbird TurboCoupe stuff.

The main difference between the turbo 2.3 and the NA 2.3 is the forged and dished pistons of the turbo engine, the larger combustion chambers, sodium filled exhaust valves (I have only read rumors and speculation on that), and a higher nickel content in the actual cast iron alloy that makes the block(more rumors and speculation, but makes sense). the turbo engines also had an extra hole drilled and tapped for the turbo oil return.

As far as parts go, you could tap the turbo oil return into your oil pan(above the oil level), put some turbo slugs in there, and that should be ready. I have been running a NA (1990) head in mine for about a year now and she does pretty well.

I think I read that your car is an 87, that is good news for you as you will read the computer requires very few pins to be moved in this case. you will just have to make a harness for the Vane Air Meter.

This swap is very much worth the effort, it provides plenty of power, the legendary 2.3Lima reliability, a cool whistling noisek: ,good fuel mileage (I could get more than 26 mpg if I could stay out of the boost) and most improtantly, plenty of enjoyment while doing this :drive:

Seriouslty though, spend a while pouring through those sites, and do some research before attempting the swap, doing something like this nets you a new awareness of your automobile.

Until you do the swap though there are always things like the Ranger header, Ranger roller cam (running one in my turbo engine, these do not wear out), and cutting the bottom off your air boz and gutting the air tube. The most expensive of these (cam swap for most) should still be less than $100.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:15 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sd4d
The main difference between the turbo 2.3 and the NA 2.3 is the forged and dished pistons of the turbo engine, the larger combustion chambers, sodium filled exhaust valves (I have only read rumors and speculation on that), and a higher nickel content in the actual cast iron alloy that makes the block(more rumors and speculation, but makes sense). the turbo engines also had an extra hole drilled and tapped for the turbo oil return.
I believe the rods in the turbo engines are also quite a bit stronger. The exhaust valves are hardened, and able to withstand the higher combustion temperatures, but im not sure exactly what makes them different, and the blocks are the same minus the oil drain back
Old 10-18-2005, 03:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

^^I hadn't read any hard info on the valves, but I swapped them over into my head anyways.

And I had always been skeptical over the whole"more nickel content" turbo blocks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang