Shifting problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Shifting problems

Hey, i recently finished putting an MGW short shifter (its absolutely beautiful). However, I'm having problems shifting. when the car is at a complete stop it is almost impossible to put it in first without pumping the clutch 3 or 4 times, or giving it a little gas while attempting to push it up into first. sometimes while shifting into other gears i will meet similar resistance but i can still usually put it in gear without too much effort. I know its not the MGW shifter because i had this problem with the stock shifter too when i bought the car. I had hoped the new shifter would fix it.

also as a side not (i dont know if this is helpful or not) but right before i bought the car, a new clutch was put in. however, it was adjusted (and still is) so that you only have to push the clutch in an inch or two in order to shift. likewise, in order to get the car moving i have to let off the clutch a ton before it catches.

what could be the problem? how should i fix it?
blue-saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Shifting problems

Does the car have an aftermarket adjuster in the firewall? Easiest way to tell is pop the hood and look to the left of the brake booster and up and above the driver side valve cover where the clutch cable comes through the firewall. If the piece there is not a cheap black plastic piece it is aftermarket and should be adjustable. You can screw this piece in or out in order to move the engagement where you want it, it's also best to team a firewall adjuster up with an aftermarket quadrant under the dash. It may take 1 or 2 quadrants till you get the feel you want.

As far as not going in gear...almost sounds like something inside the transmission versus a problem with the shifter. I'd attempt to adjust the clutch some myself and see if that will fix the problem first, then start looking at the transmission if the problem persists.

Any grinding noises when it doesn't want to go in or will it just not even get close?
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i'll have to check on the firewall, but i doubt it. the guy told me he didnt do anything to the car. and no, there is no grinding sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yea it sounds like your clutch isnt getting pushed in enough~ if your clutch petal is not high off the floor then its possibly this. My cobra when I picked it up had this very same issue. Once I adjusted the clutch it was 10000x better.

Get under the dash and push the clutch petal in with one hand and hold the quadrant with the other (its above the gas petal). Slowly ease out on the clutch petal while holding pressure on the end of the quadrant closest to to you (opposite end of the pawl gear which is the little gear on the quadrant that helps take up slack) you will hear a click as the petal gets nearly out. Repeat about 3 times. This will raise the petal and give you more engagement.

If you like then your good to go. The clutch can and will self unadjust itself FYI. Some care are better than others. If this works and it does not unadjust then your fine, if it wont stay adjusted then buy a quadrant and firewll adjuster and that will fix it.

You want half an inch of pushing in the clutch petal before the rpms start to slip (hold at 55mph on the gas and ease in clutch to check this) The petal will be firm at the top~

See if this works, if you cant figure out how to adjust it PM me and I will go into more detail. Basically by holding the quadrant back you fool the cable into thinking it has more slack so it takes up the slack~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks a ton. I'll give that a try

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang