trying to lower my 03 v6 but not sure what i need can any1 help me please - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
trying to lower my 03 v6 but not sure what i need can any1 help me please

thank you

love my stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Louisiana
Re: trying to lower my 03 v6 but not sure what i need can any1 help me please

all you need is a lowering spring kit for a V6. some cars require caster camber plates to get the alignment back in spec and others don't.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Lowering springs is really all you need. It is recommended to get new struts and shocks due to the drop. CC plates are a must if you do a big drop which is considered 2" the normal is 1.5" in the front and 1.75" in the rear.
Originally Posted by MetallicMist View Post
OsirisGuy is correct
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Wisconsin

Yah pretty much lowering springs and cc plates. If you're looking at springs that lower the car 1.5inches or more (which you'll want to get a noticeable drop anyways) the cc plates are a good idea to spare the life of your tires.

If your pocketbook allows, you may want to consider shocks and struts as well. You're tearing that area apart already, might as well uprade that stuff too.

Eibach and H&R are good brands to look at. I'd stay away from Dynamic Springs, I've heard negative things about the company. Just make sure the spring is progressive and not standard(linear) your stock springs are standard, and that's why they suck.
Progressive springs' rate changes based on your driving - softer or firmer, while standard springs stay at the same rate regardless of your driving. Most aftermarket springs are progressive, but some like the Ford Racing C Springs are standard.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l 2.6 Pulley/Idler l Airaid l o/r X l 305 NT555R's l Recaros l

04 Azure Blue Mach 1 / 03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 14 Sterling Grey F150 FX4 402A 5.0 / 11 GT500 R.I.P.
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

If you go more than 1 inch you will probably need caster/camber plates that allow you to adjust the car back into a stock setting. You can do the springs first and see if you need them and if not this may save you 200 dollars. The issue here is if you need them you basically have to redo the install as its the same work nearly for springs as it is for caster/camber plates. Just an FYI if you pay a shop to do it or not (plus cc plates look cool).

If you want performance then I would get ford racing C springs or H&R race springs. Your stock springs are about 400lbs front/200lbs rear rate and are specific springs (how stiff they are).

The ford springs will give you a 1-1.5 drop (it depends some come pre cut some you cut if you want more than an inch~) and they cost about 150 bucks. They are a specific rate spring 600lbs front 300lbs rear.

H&R race are 700+lbs front/300~ rear (not sure on rear) and cost about 250.00. They are progressive. This means the more you push the harder they push back, so you get a better ride normally and as you push the car to turn it gets stiffer. The drop is 1.5-1.75 inches.

I would only lower my car if it was at least 1.5 inches, any less and well... it doesnt look much better than stock. So you will need CC plates 80% of the time like this.

Eibach also has springs that retain a softer rate more like stock as well as stiffer ones. Heck, a bunch of factory ford springs are made by eibach lol. They are about 250.00, I think the ford c spring IS made by eibach actually.

maximum motorsports has 4 bolt CC plates that are the best out there, they cost about 180 bucks but are worth it.

Finally, that leaves us with shocks/struts. You technically do not need to replace yours unless you car has higher miles and its just a good thing to do then. They will wear out faster (the stock shocks/struts) as they will have more load on them with lowering springs. You want your shocks/struts to be valved (how fast they compress and release) to the spring so they match in rate. Its not rocket science just in the ball park~ so your stock ones are fine if you want to wait on those until later on. Your handling wont be as good and your ride might suffer some... its not the end of the world. Expect to spend at least 200 bucks on shocks/struts and the install for springs pretty much is the same for shocks/struts so if you pay someone it might be cheaper in the end to pay them for this while you do springs.

For normal driving with a 1.5 drop (mind is 2.25 lower in the front..) I dont have issues generally. I am careful of course as you have to be but 90% of the places are accessible, you learn quick where you can and cant go and you learn to go into drive ways at an angle

I have a how to install for springs, its easy read it and it might save you 300 bucks or so~
Installing Mustang Lowering Springs

ask all the questions you want so you get what you want and dont regret anything.

(if handling good is on your mind this is the first step, then comes bushing replacement and so forth)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang